Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Chuck_D posted:

Without any WWII opfor, what exactly are those neato corsairs and hellcata going to be used for?

There'll almost certainly be a Pacific theater ww2 assets pack to go with the WW2 Mariana map. They already teased that with all the Japanese units they showed in the trailer. There's some scuttlebutt about there being a Zero module in the works too so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

ethanol posted:

carrier bf109s. what's the matter? scared?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Bf_109_variants#Bf_109T?wprov=sfla1

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Was there a third party cordless tracker alternative? Not trying to save money, just trying to not have a power cord. Thought I saw and bookmarked something a while back and can’t find it any more.

Have tried a small USB bank but it auto shuts off after a bit, and don’t need amazing battery life. Already have the TrackIR 5 camera, just looking for a wireless/cordless trackclippro replacement.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

uwaeve posted:

Was there a third party cordless tracker alternative? Not trying to save money, just trying to not have a power cord. Thought I saw and bookmarked something a while back and can’t find it any more.

Have tried a small USB bank but it auto shuts off after a bit, and don’t need amazing battery life. Already have the TrackIR 5 camera, just looking for a wireless/cordless trackclippro replacement.

https://grassmonkeysimulations.com/shop-2/

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

uwaeve posted:

…or https://delanclip.com/shop/ (specifically the Fusion version).

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Opentrack's doing wonders with facetracking now, whether by webcam, kinect or tobii. I'm never sticking anything on my head again.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

There's also this on the horizon (horrible non-pun intended): https://store.steampowered.com/app/1638090/Tobii_Horizon/

It might solve the issue their eye tracker 5 had, where it didn't quite have the range to do good head tracking at any longer distance (like the one you'd have when you have a bunch of sticks and controller boxes and keyboard and whatever between you and the screen). But at the same time, the even bigger problem they've had for the longest time is the lacking control you get through their software — which is why opentrack is a better solution anyway — and now they're doing a full-software solution…

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Tippis posted:

There's also this on the horizon (horrible non-pun intended): https://store.steampowered.com/app/1638090/Tobii_Horizon/

It might solve the issue their eye tracker 5 had, where it didn't quite have the range to do good head tracking at any longer distance (like the one you'd have when you have a bunch of sticks and controller boxes and keyboard and whatever between you and the screen). But at the same time, the even bigger problem they've had for the longest time is the lacking control you get through their software — which is why opentrack is a better solution anyway — and now they're doing a full-software solution…

Cool, thanks for telling me about it! I added it to my Steam wishlist, clicked the button, and got in. Downloading it shortly.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Tippis posted:

Ah cool, thanks for sharing!

I wondered when someone would attempt a trackerless solution like this.

Why it's only designed for laptop cameras though? Might that change in the future?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

StarBegotten posted:

Ah cool, thanks for sharing!

I wondered when someone would attempt a trackerless solution like this.

Why it's only designed for laptop cameras though? Might that change in the future?

Going by the vague discussions and ads surrounding it, looks like it's a cross-promo thing they've had with some gaming laptop company, and now they're going to expand that to other systems. It would then make sense if their head position detection is tuned to the up-the-nose perspective as a first step. The full final version is supposed to be able to handle external cameras and from other (read: monitor-mounted) perspectives.

Compare: https://help.tobii.com/hc/en-us/articles/10839115920529-Tobii-Horizon-Playtest-Q-A

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I've been using SmoothTrack, Grassmonkey, and lately the OpenTrack neuralnet tracker. I've finally got the neural net tuned in and I'm really liking it. Most of my flying is in the Viper or Frogfoot, so a fast and high movement WW2 plane may need different settings. This is in opentrack 2023.3.0. I am using a Logitech C920 on top of a 34" monitor. I had issues if my Tobii was hooked up at the same time as the Webcam as it would try to use both at once.

Here is my neural net settings. MJPEG makes a huge improvement in FPS. You can specify Default for resolution or crank it up to max for your webcam. I didn't see much difference so I left it as is. The ROI smoothing alpha and ROI zoom are what some rando recommended on Reddit. The documentation on any of this is really slim. You can select different Pose Net ONNX but the head-localizer.onnx crashes my webcam so I use head-pose-0.2-big.onnx.

This is the Hamilton settings. Other people spoke highly of the Kalman filter as well.

Yaw.

Pitch.

XYZ all are the same.

In DCS it is jitter free and holds position well enough for MFD's and HMCS marking.

I've ordered an Arduino Nano BLE to test as an inertial tracker. Drone nerds have done a lot to make this a mature product and it can be used to talk to opentrack. For $35 I figure it'll be worth testing out.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Opentrack Neuralnet gave me the best experience def

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shits starting to feel like the future

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Ty for the rundown, I will figure out my best bet and pull the ol trigger.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

uwaeve posted:

Ty for the rundown, I will figure out my best bet and pull the ol trigger.

I just tested the Kalman and Natural Movement filters and the Natural Movement is absolutely amazing. I'm still tweaking curves and such but it feels the most realistic of any filter I've used yet. Absolutely impressed with how snappy, fluid, and smooth it feels.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

The beginnings of the F4e manual are up at https://f4.manuals.heatblur.se/
e: this is cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSIol57vcEI

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 27, 2024

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

February 4th, calling it now :hmmyes:

They did not use valentines day for the tomcat, missed it by 3 weeks

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
TWO WEEKS

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hype for A7 tbh. HARMs in a totally non-digital aircraft will be a neat mid SEAD option

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
Anyone order from Monster Tech before and know what the lead times are like? My order is still "Processing" a month later. It was just after the holiday season so I don't want to be impatient, but I also noticed that I ordered from monster.tech (the home base, international site) and not mtsim.com which seems to be the properly localized US version and I'm wondering if that's causing any issues.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Poz posted:

Anyone order from Monster Tech before and know what the lead times are like? My order is still "Processing" a month later. It was just after the holiday season so I don't want to be impatient, but I also noticed that I ordered from monster.tech (the home base, international site) and not mtsim.com which seems to be the properly localized US version and I'm wondering if that's causing any issues.

I’ve ordered twice from them and each time it looks like I got my stuff in about a week. I don’t remember which site I went through, sorry. Mine was DHL, not sure if it originated in US or Europe, delivered to US East Coast though.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Dr. Poz posted:

Looking at my emails, they shipped three days after I paid them, and it took another three days for my stuff to get to me in Australia.

Time to get in contact with them, I'd say

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
DCS has a sale going on right now, both Steam and Standalone. Go get your planes!

WW2 planes? Cool, come fly with us at Primo Victoria Normandy Campaign:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4048212

Modern Stuff? Long Afternoon War and the war in South America it is!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4042524

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It has been 0️⃣ days since classified documents have been posted on the War Thunder forums.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

It has been 0️⃣ days since classified documents have been posted on the War Thunder forums.

I’ve grown immune to these reports lately. Now every time someone posts a document you can just download anywhere online with info like “do not light plane on fire,” it’s reported as highly classified info leaks.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

I’ve grown immune to these reports lately. Now every time someone posts a document you can just download anywhere online with info like “do not light plane on fire,” it’s reported as highly classified info leaks.
and most of them are just pdfs that have been widely available on the internet for years but it’s illegal to repost them.

So yeah, I don’t get my hopes up but every once in awhile someone really posts something they shouldn’t over WT and it’s quite funny

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Got a Stream Deck and geez it feels convoluted setting it up for DCS. But getting somewhere. Just waiting for some massive 52 GB patch to finish doing its thing.

Does anyone know where to find this icon pack? I don't even remember where I found the screenshot now.

(The Stream Deck is ... impressively a really cool product though. I went for broke and got the XL version on sale, but realistically it's probably excessive. But I liked it so much I ordered the standard one for my office because ... gently caress it, I love automating bullshit tasks.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Honestly the XL is the way to go. That gets you enough rows to be a good functional UFC.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sorry lazy with photo uploads.

First, I feel the documentation on how to get here is poor, but I sorted it out eventually. It's still a lot, and I did it wrong in the screenshot ... needed to put that ID in the "Title Text Change on DCS Update Settings" field.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I think I may have gotten too optimistic on this setting page that opens when I launch DCS

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

But, oh poo poo it works

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I don't know why I'm surprised, but the displays update instantaneously/real-time. I'm really happy with it.

Don't have FPS benchmarking on the buttons though. Need to figure out if I can improve the output ... some of the raw text strings are too big for the buttons.

edit:

Overall I'm impressed with Stream Deck as a product. I would hesitate to recommend such a thing, but by now it seems to have a lot of support and a big company behind it. I'm comfortable editing scripts and text configs, but the Stream Deck GUI software is pretty drat solid and just "nice" in logical stupid ways where it saves the commands/state per button ... but you can drag and drop your command arrangement around and don't lose that one macro's settings.

It's also just really visually appealing.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 2, 2024

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
…do you need to measure the FPS of the button displays? Like is performance here crucial?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sorry to be clear, that was a throwaway joke because... Figured someone on the internet would care

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Okay lol, I bit.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Vahakyla posted:

…do you need to measure the FPS of the button displays? Like is performance here crucial?

Instrument flying using only the steam deck, don't want a delay :hmmyes:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

Does anyone know where to find this icon pack? I don't even remember where I found the screenshot now.

Don't know why I was having so much trouble before. It's here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3319467/

Complete with pre-configured awesome profiles.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 7, 2024

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
Is using a stream deck as a UFC something a mere mortal can set up, or should I get a comp sci degree first?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Gophermaster posted:

Is using a stream deck as a UFC something a mere mortal can set up, or should I get a comp sci degree first?

It's pretty mortal-friendly since you can pick your level of insanity.

If you just want it to feed shortcut commands to DCS, it's easy as π.
If you want special interactions where the Stream deck shows dynamic data read from the sim or shows switch states depending on what you're actually doing, it gets more interesting… But even then it's still quite doable aside from having to dive into various mods that all suffer the standard GitHub malady of having atrocious documentation that mostly just loops back on itself when you're trying to find more detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Gophermaster posted:

How on the airgoons discord and post in the help channel. There’s a few of us that use stream decks as ufc.