Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Our company comprises 2 of us doing dev work, 3 on the phone doing support, a couple of directors and an intern. We're all in a big room all together, it can get pretty distracting. I have high quality, over ear isolating headphones. I mostly listen to music but I'm also a musician so that can get pretty distracting. When I really need to concentrate, I go to simplynoise.com and put on some brown noise. Works a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Open plan is pretty much the norm in the UK, I've worked for a fair few large tech companies and private offices seem like a rare thing for everything except for upper management. Even when we have partitions they are usually low enough to see and talk to each other over. I don't think we put our devs on pedestals so much as it seems like you do in the states (although I kind of wish we did).

There was one guy I used to work with at T Mobile who I would frequently see lying on his front under his desk like a kid.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

v1nce posted:

your work-wife

Your what?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Munkeymon posted:

I just want to thank you profusely for this. My brain has been tricked into thinking I'm sitting next to an ocean for the last couple days. "Brown" (technically red noise, I think) plus oscillation = ocean

You're welcome. In between trying to code in a noisy office, and trying to do a part-time degree in a house with a gaggle of noisy house-mates, that site has been an absolutely godsend to me.

I can't deal with the oscillation though. That stops me from zoning it out. Without the oscillation, my brain tunes out the static within a few minutes and it's like working in perfect silence.

(except if I'm over-tired, then I start hearing music and voices in it, but we're not going to talk about that)

• Locked thread