Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace

revmoo posted:

I really, really don't understand the whole 'open' floor plan thing. Let's take a trade that requires intense focus and concentration and then take 30 engineers and stick them in a room together. Also let's remove all the soundproofing to "facilitate communication." Wait, what do you mean our project is running behind schedule???

I'm working in an environment like that and I enjoy it a lot. However it is only 4 people, not 30. I can see 30 being a problem. But for us it is super useful to just look over at the other person and chat for a minute at any time, don't have to leave the room. I would hate to have to walk to my coworkers office for little things. But here we can easily keep in sync and ask each other little confirmation questions without breaking our stride on what we are doing. It is important to be understanding if the other guy asks to wait a few minutes before giving an answer. It is also a nice way to keep tabs on what everyone is working on so you know if you can jump in and help someone or ask them to help you with something.

Otherwise, we work in a office at the far end of a building so it is usually quiet except for sounds of keyboards typing. That really helps us as half the team says they get distracted by listening to music so the other half (the cool half) listen to music on earbuds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread