Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

SolTerrasa posted:

That said, the "can't see me slacking" is a HUGE factor in my current happiness with my environment. I sit with my back to the wall, and on my right is my most senior colleague who is relaxed as hell. If I want to spend twenty minutes on the internet while I wait for my map-reduces to finish up, no one will bother me about it. Anybody else feel micromanaged when their open floor plan prevents them from the occasional ten minute Twitter/Facebook/SA/Reddit/Hacker News break?

This is a major, major sticking point for me, too. If your computer faces a door or hallway, it doesn't matter how little you slack off; at some point your boss (or worse, some middle manager that is completely outside of your chain of command) will walk by JUST as you're taking a break, and throw a shitfit. All of your previous performance is out the window at that point for the sake of appearances.

I have to have my back to a wall. I have to have that privacy. I feel so anxious when people can just walk by and see my screen, even if I'm not working, to the point that it's a continuous blow to my ability to focus.

I know that the computers and the network are owned by the company and that they could be audited or remoted into at any time. These aren't sacred spaces for me. I also expect that they won't be unless the company has a reason to suspect me of some real wrongdoing, and if the company fails to live up to that expectation, it will be a problem for me. It's about extending a little autonomy and trust, and if they are just going to peer in on me for shits and giggles, I'm going to have a hard time putting my all into the cause.

Edit: To directly respond to the OP.

My last job was in an office I shared with the DBA. He was overworked. He was the only one trusted to handle a lot of the poo poo that should have been given to the IT support staff. He was the personal bitch of the Payroll manager who if her daily crisis was not handled within 5 minutes would complain in person to the GM.

The phone rang. It rang and rang and rang. I could not focus for more than 10 minutes at a time. The DBA used the speakerphone, I don't know what he had against headsets, but to be fair half the conversation would have shattered my concentration as well as the whole thing, so it didn't matter.

It took months for the situation to get better, and that only happened because I couldn't get poo poo done and the DBA knew that the distractions were the reason. I asked for my own office (there was a closet-sized one that was empty that I would have loved) but I had only been there for 6 months so I didn't rate it. It ended up going to a nepotism hire.

On the plus side the office had enough room for a couple of whiteboards, a door that locked, and a wall-sized window looking out onto some decent scenery. So when the Payroll manager wasn't having trouble logging in for the third time that day, we could really hammer out some designs on whiteboards illuminated by the actual sun.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Deus Rex posted:

What's that weird looking thing with the green LED and buttons all the way on the left, just behind the box of tissues?

That's what we in the industry call a Randomized Interruption Engine.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Learn to read, Che.

NEVER MIND.

• Locked thread