Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
I've got a quiet, pretty private place to code, post, or whatever:

Then again, government job :woop:

If people yacking takes too much out of you, consider some good ear phones and some music or even the radio.

Another thing I found out now that I actually have such a chair is that an ergonomic chair that you don't need to get up out of or even fidget in for 4+ hours at a time is a godsend. They're rated up to 8 hours (or as I put it, "poopsock") but I'm going to assume you could do things like take a lunch, go for a walk, or whatever if you wanted. A chair at the right height for your knees and hips with good arm rests and some back support is a pretty big deal. So is doing some basic ham/back/chest stretches.

Also, look into getting a whiteboard, and just finding a quiet place to go hide in if you need people to gently caress off for a while. If there really is no sort of a spare office, closet, hallway or whatever, just go chill in your car or walk around outside. Never underestimate the power of a good walk and some nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
No, it's a door :q:

When you adjust chair height, make sure your knees are higher than your hips if at all possible. If necessary, put something under your feet to raise your legs up. Does wonders.

And of course you should be wearing arch supports. INSOLES. If you're a programmer you can afford to go grab some right now, so do so TOMORROW. Step on the fancy machine thing that tells you what kind to get and do it, you won't regret it.

I feel like a salesperson, but really, it's a matter of "how mobile do you want to be in 30 years."

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
I wear arch supports since I'm walking on hard carpet right on top of concrete or stone flooring. But I'll take the shoes off if it's close my cubedoor time and I'm going to stretch or something.

I work in an office which is mostly women right now so I'd expect a lot of bare feet, but none of them wear heels to take off and do so with, except for one Monday/Wednesday only BA.

Senior dev wears vibrams and is kinda goony, but in the good way at least.

• Locked thread