Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

I work for Google, who often claim to have invented the open floor plan, and honestly I don't hate it as much as I'm told I should. On the other hand, we're Google (wiping-tears-with-money.gif), so we actually put in the money and facilities effort to make sure that things don't get unreasonable. Sound-absorbing ceilings and floors and the like. I know that most companies look at it and say "yes, let's take this and slash all the expensive parts of it wait why does everyone hate this". Other than that, I've got two 23" monitors, one vertical for code and one horizontal for docs. Apple Chiclet keyboard and a BEAST of a machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

kitten smoothie posted:

Yeah, basically people see this and then end up cargo-culting it.

At the job I had before my current one, our two development teams were originally spread out across three rooms of cubes. People were generally quiet, and people gravitated toward sitting with those who they worked with often so you could just turn your chair to talk quietly.

They then "remodeled" some old unused space, which basically amounted to cleaning and waxing the linoleum floor (strike 1), and installing a bunch of 4-seat desks. It was clear they were doing this on the cheap and I expected them to install crappy carpet squares, but they went really cheap and had no carpet at all. They put both teams in here, with 32 seats in this room. The idea was to get the teams all in one place so they could "collaborate."

The problem though was that they did not seat people together who worked together (strike 2). Instead they assigned seats based on seniority and people picked based on preferences like "back to the wall so people can't see me slacking" or "back not facing the door so people can't see me slacking." So the teams were all mixed about and people would shout across the room. Or they'd stand up and go hover behind a teammate without regard to the people on either side who probably had no stake in the conversation.

We had no impromptu un-schedulable meeting space (strike 3) to go take a conversation if it needed to be something in-depth that might bother other people. Hell, we had a huge shortage of meeting rooms of any sort; at one point they put the breakrooms on the calendar as meeting rooms and blocked out 11am-1pm so people could eat.

Yeah, I've definitely seen this too. Don't get me wrong, we totally don't have enough space at Google (we're guilty of Strike 3, but not 1 or 2). We use our microkitchens (break rooms, but open-er and also full of the famous free food) sometimes, and other times we use the cafes, and other times we just try to be quiet at the desks. But at least we're solving that by building more buildings with more space, and starting more offices in more cities / states / countries. It's just that we are expanding so fast that we literally cannot build enough buildings quickly enough. (I know this is the standard bullshit upper-management lie. I believe it only because there is actually active construction all over the place)

That said, the "can't see me slacking" is a HUGE factor in my current happiness with my environment. I sit with my back to the wall, and on my right is my most senior colleague who is relaxed as hell. If I want to spend twenty minutes on the internet while I wait for my map-reduces to finish up, no one will bother me about it. Anybody else feel micromanaged when their open floor plan prevents them from the occasional ten minute Twitter/Facebook/SA/Reddit/Hacker News break?

• Locked thread