Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

SolTerrasa posted:

I work for Google, who often claim to have invented the open floor plan, and honestly I don't hate it as much as I'm told I should. On the other hand, we're Google (wiping-tears-with-money.gif), so we actually put in the money and facilities effort to make sure that things don't get unreasonable. Sound-absorbing ceilings and floors and the like. I know that most companies look at it and say "yes, let's take this and slash all the expensive parts of it wait why does everyone hate this". Other than that, I've got two 23" monitors, one vertical for code and one horizontal for docs. Apple Chiclet keyboard and a BEAST of a machine.

Yeah, basically people see this and then end up cargo-culting it.

At the job I had before my current one, our two development teams were originally spread out across three rooms of cubes. People were generally quiet, and people gravitated toward sitting with those who they worked with often so you could just turn your chair to talk quietly.

They then "remodeled" some old unused space, which basically amounted to cleaning and waxing the linoleum floor (strike 1), and installing a bunch of 4-seat desks. It was clear they were doing this on the cheap and I expected them to install crappy carpet squares, but they went really cheap and had no carpet at all. They put both teams in here, with 32 seats in this room. The idea was to get the teams all in one place so they could "collaborate."

The problem though was that they did not seat people together who worked together (strike 2). Instead they assigned seats based on seniority and people picked based on preferences like "back to the wall so people can't see me slacking" or "back not facing the door so people can't see me slacking." So the teams were all mixed about and people would shout across the room. Or they'd stand up and go hover behind a teammate without regard to the people on either side who probably had no stake in the conversation.

We had no impromptu un-schedulable meeting space (strike 3) to go take a conversation if it needed to be something in-depth that might bother other people. Hell, we had a huge shortage of meeting rooms of any sort; at one point they put the breakrooms on the calendar as meeting rooms and blocked out 11am-1pm so people could eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

UncleBlazer posted:

Anyone had experience with shared workspaces? I get lonely as gently caress doing work at home and the uni library has been just as dead recently.

I work out of a coworking space. For me a 100% WFH environment kind of oscillates between either letting home invade work (aka periods of slacking), or letting work invade home (work all day and through the evening, only punctuated by dinner).

The place I go to has a mix of dedicated desks you rent by the month, drop-in free-for-all desks, and private offices. I rent one of the offices (initially I paid out of pocket but my company has started picking up the tab). However I'll go wander into the community room from time to time as well. The building's got 24 hour card access, a shared kitchen, a reservable meeting room with a big TV and A/V hookups, and a big room with foosball/pool/pinball to goof off.

I'm really happy with the place, and it's a decent way to get additional human interaction in your day. And having to "go to work" helps instill a certain amount of discipline for me to timebox my work.

The people who I think really get a lot of value out of a place like this (beyond just a place to come work) are freelancers/indie businesspeople. There's a solo practitioner attorney, an accountant, software developers of all flavors, designers/artists, etc who all are members of the space, so there's a lot of business networking going on and people helping each other out.

Your rent at such a space may be tax-deductible if you pay out of pocket, ask your accountant.

• Locked thread