Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

NovemberMike posted:

Some assholes managed to convince people that it was a good idea without actually doing any research on it. It sounds good in theory since it's all "communication and people being open" but in practice it ends up being noisy and distracting. The best experience I've had was 4 people in a medium sized office that are all working on the same thing. It doesn't get noisy enough to be distracting and it actually fosters a little communication.

Walls cost money and it's cheaper to build out an "open" office with greater worker density. Offices with walls and doors are for management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Hey isn't this thread supposed to be about bashing open floor plan offices, stupid/cheap managers who put us engineering-type workers in them, and the loud distracting assholes who we have to sit next to?

My previous job had only open office space (not even cubicles) for everyone lower on the food chain than VP. VPs and up got offices with doors, personal printers, and probably company-paid oral sex every day but I'm only speculating about that because I can't see through closed doors. Anyway, my assigned desk was in the same room as a dozen sales guys who blab loudly and incessantly on their phones with a TV blaring all day, so to get any work done I had to put on a sweatshirt and headphones and go sit under an AC vent in the server room with a lovely laptop. I asked my boss, the CTO, if I could move into a tiny office they kept open for visiting executives and was told that I wasn't important enough. I quit that job and it felt like getting out of prison. gently caress open offices and the idiotic cheap bastards who think they're a good idea.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

chippy posted:

Your what?

What happens at work, stays at work.

• Locked thread