Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Quite literally, my humble office. Eventually we will put a second developer in here, but until then it's mine.

Only difference from this point is I've got a bigger L-Desk instead (which was needed).

The actual environment besides just where I work is pretty cool. It's quiet enough to hear a coin drop at pretty much all times, and everyone is likable. We're still a very small op with only 3 people (developer boss, customer support/web designer, myself). I'm hoping we eventually have beer fridays or something.

I worked at a place with an open floor plan before this, and it was really terrible as well (secretary having meetings right behind me while coding, no headphones or music rule). Ideally I think I'd like one or two more developers in the same office with me so it's not quite as isolating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I posted a picture of my office earlier, but I thought I'd add a couple things that make my work somewhat different.

I work for a very much family owned business. It's pretty much my boss who is a developer consultant, his sister-in-law who handles much of the misc office tasks and helps design the websites, and myself. Sometimes the boss's wife comes in but that's getting rare.

We all have our own offices. Around 25-60% of the time I'm the only person in all 5 offices. My boss has to travel a lot and often spares me that, and the sister-in-law works usually only works 3-4 days a week around 4 hours at a time. Very nice as it is often extremely quiet unless I want to play some music or something. Even when everyone is in here it is usually quiet enough to hear a pin drop.

Sometimes the sister-in-law gets all heated up about something and I end up hearing her curse and throw a fit for about 20-30 minutes, but that is rare. Sometimes she will also blare something on Netflix or something (can't tell) when the boss is out of office. It can get grating, but I usually just throw on my headphones and remember what my old office environment was - no headphones or music, everyone (receptionist, sales, owner, myself) in an open area with a small cubicle wall dividing the shared desks. Cameras looking over our backs (really).

My office environment is generally awesome, and having my own office rocks. It can be easy to get lazy with no supervision and all the privacy I can want - but I like developing so it's not very often I feel that way.

Probably won't be this nice forever though. Plus eventually I would like to move from my small town to Seattle, the SF bay area, or NYC and enjoy a little bit of big city life. Maybe even out of country.

Anyway thought I'd share.

• Locked thread