Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
I'm making this thread to hopefully get a general consensus in what a "normal" environment for a coder to be in, and ways you have figured out to concentrate better.

I work in a studio environment, and often around me there are people talking, having meetings or playing back video. It's nothing out of the ordinary for them, but for me sometimes it makes problem solving impossible if I get a sudden distraction. Music that I've listened to a lot can help a little (predictable) or noise can drown it out a bit. Ear plugs can also help a bit but I can still hear things in the background. Silence is essential for me when I'm in a train of thought, otherwise it doesn't matter as much when I'm doing things that are more routine.

So my question is, is this normal? I guess I can say I've never worked somewhere that's solely a group of programmers. I know some of you work from home, which is safe to say is quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

gently caress them posted:

I've got a quiet, pretty private place to code, post, or whatever:

Then again, government job :woop:

If people yacking takes too much out of you, consider some good ear phones and some music or even the radio.

Another thing I found out now that I actually have such a chair is that an ergonomic chair that you don't need to get up out of or even fidget in for 4+ hours at a time is a godsend. They're rated up to 8 hours (or as I put it, "poopsock") but I'm going to assume you could do things like take a lunch, go for a walk, or whatever if you wanted. A chair at the right height for your knees and hips with good arm rests and some back support is a pretty big deal. So is doing some basic ham/back/chest stretches.

Also, look into getting a whiteboard, and just finding a quiet place to go hide in if you need people to gently caress off for a while. If there really is no sort of a spare office, closet, hallway or whatever, just go chill in your car or walk around outside. Never underestimate the power of a good walk and some nature.

I get distracted by the radio, because if it's anything I haven't heard before I'm sometimes eager to know what it is or just distracted because it's unpredictable.

The chair and desk is a good point. For me, mine kind of stuck because the "desk" (which actually forms out from the wall) is at the wrong height and if I adjust my chair then my feet aren't in a good resting position on the floor. This always bothers me so I sometimes sit cross legged, sit on one leg, or put my feet up on some tupperware boxes of wires. My chair sucks and I don't know how my boss would feel about getting my own since he seems to have matched all furniture very carefully. He has tours come through so the look of the office I think is very important to him.

Whiteboard is a good idea, and my boss has considered it. I like to take physical notes and have a folder for every project. He bought a storage place which we talked about maybe turning into an office for me but it would mean running an ethernet cable down a long hallway for internet, so it's been held off on for quite a while. I have a really nice place to walk to, but it's not doable in the winter months of course.

By the way is that another whiteboard blocking the entry way?

xpander posted:

Everyone gets headphones at my office(which I picked out myself, to ensure maximum quality and noise cancellation for the budget), because otherwise the company would grind to a halt with the "soft side" yelling at each other down the hall with their doors open. Of course this assumes you can work with music playing. I think it's important to bring this up and put forward the expectation that your velocity/efficiency is going to be lower as long as interruptions are present.

Music is sometimes really good but other times I wish I could have pure silence. There are moments I get distracted just by thinking of people that could be looking at me.

revmoo posted:

I really, really don't understand the whole 'open' floor plan thing. Let's take a trade that requires intense focus and concentration and then take 30 engineers and stick them in a room together. Also let's remove all the soundproofing to "facilitate communication." Wait, what do you mean our project is running behind schedule???

I'm lucky now I work from home in an office tucked away deep within my garage. I can't even hear trucks driving past in there, it's basically a cave.

It's a studio, so it makes sense for everyone except programmers. I'm moving right across the street from my work but I'm going to see if I can push to work from home most of the time, although he seems pretty strict about nothing leaving the place.

The personal projects I've done at home have given me far more concentration than work ever has. When my surroundings disappear I start to forget for a moment where I am is when I know I'm in the mode.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

SamDabbers posted:

Walls cost money and it's cheaper to build out an "open" office with greater worker density. Offices with walls and doors are for management.

One great exception for it being "normal" to have programmers isolated away in a quiet environment that I already knew about was Intel. All their office workers are in the same cubical grid, regardless of position or leadership. Though I don't really know how distracting the environment is. The coders could be all in one corner opposite from office workers that need to communicate in person more.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Everyone stop, and shrughes that's completely irrelevant and for the most part trivial to bring up and make a big deal about. If you want to continue arguing please do it somewhere else.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

chippy posted:

Your what?

A work spouse. Apparently it's pretty common. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_spouse

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Geisladisk - Looks like you need to give us permission to see that DropBox image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

fletcher posted:

Do you guys kick your shoes off while you are at your desk?

Yes, almost always during the spring/summer/fall. Actually I don't even bother tying my shoes because my walk to work is only a couple minutes! :)

• Locked thread