Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I really, really don't understand the whole 'open' floor plan thing. Let's take a trade that requires intense focus and concentration and then take 30 engineers and stick them in a room together. Also let's remove all the soundproofing to "facilitate communication." Wait, what do you mean our project is running behind schedule???

I'm lucky now I work from home in an office tucked away deep within my garage. I can't even hear trucks driving past in there, it's basically a cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

PlesantDilemma posted:

I'm working in an environment like that and I enjoy it a lot. However it is only 4 people

That's not an open plan, that's just an office. The last big open plan place I worked at had IT and Product Development (about 45 people) in a single room. It was asinine. Funny thing is, I don't really get distracted that easily so it was never much of a problem for me, but I could tell that it caused a lot of problems for other people. The problem is, even if it's identified as the problem that it is, you're never going to convince management that they need to buy a new building/new furniture/whatever CapEx needs to happen to move away from the open plan. So these companies are hosed.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
What's funny is that offices are like this mystical magical place that only elite executives can have due to their exorbitant cost.

I built an office from scratch in my house for like 300 bucks including flooring, drywall, lighting and wiring. It's a better equipped working environment both from a decor/finish and equipment standpoint than any place I've ever worked.

• Locked thread