Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Kenderama posted:

I love our Dungeon entry.

The whole dungeon is fantastic. Very evocative setting, and the tone of writing throughout is pitch perfect.

"And yes, that's probably what pissed off the Lich King."

I like the condensed format too. I know the text explicitly warns off new GMs, but it does a great job demonstrating that a bit of backstory and a couple of plot notes is enough to fill out a dungeon. Also how to play with assumptions and quickly create thematic variations of common, meh monsters by just swapping out a power or making them act in an unexpected way. I know all of that is addressed in prior 13A materials, but it's nice to see it demonstrated in an adventure too.

Honestly, this looks like a great stepping stone for GMs to move from fully precanned adventures into 13th Age's sweet spot: that middle ground between 50 page splat book adventures and zero prep Dungeon World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
OUT: have crossbows for joints.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
do i have one unique thing? hmm let me think
* Have 750 bolts on me at any time
* Parents were both Sammy G (long story)
* brought a quiver to school every day
* Have the word "crossbow" instead of a mouth

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Same experience. Make sure the party has ready access to healing potions if you find they're burning through them.

Without significantly blowing encounter guidelines, you aren't accidentally going to get a tpk just because you're missing some if the classic character class roles.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Myrmidongs posted:

I am being entirely too productive. There's always been small things I've wanted out of character sheets, so I decided to just make my own. Let me know what you think, or if I messed anything up.

Link

I like how clean these are.

For me personally, I'd flip the attribute and mods; I'd make the mods the bigger box b because they're referenced more often.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Doomie posted:

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience converting old AD&D modules over to 13th age? Mostly with regards on if I should modify the amount of baddies in encounters?

I would adjust HP/defenses/dmg to the level of my PCs (guide here), and then see if I needed more or less enemies to fulfill the budget (guide here). And generally keep the effects/powers (with adjusted damage) for the flavor.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Got my Icon dice in the mail! Woo!

I didn't expect her to care at all, but my wife was really disappointed when I opened the package. It turns out, when you receive small packages with a return address of "fire opal" and stamps with pictures of pearl necklaces on them, some people think it's jewellery.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Running Race to Starport, the first time we've played 13A since I ran 1 through 10 in the original beta and after a few years of PBTA games.

:feelsgood:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Our group of Commander, Monk and Wizard is crazy for messing with rolls. There is going to be a new player next week -- will try to convince them to play an Occultist....

Side note: Race to Starport continues to be a joy to run.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Need to combine session 5 and 6 of Race to Starport into a single 3-4 hour session before the June doldrums hit. Each session has taken 3+ hours so far -- we've been talking our time apparently.

Any advice?

And just to continue past comments, Race to Starport continues to be the best, most satisfying published adventure I have ever run. Part of that is certainly because it's the only published adventure I've run for 13A, granted, but it does such a great job of customizing the world based on icon relationships that it has straight up changed how a understand the game in general.

Also quick montages at the beginning of each session for world building, scene setting, and RP warm up are flat out brilliant. Every player is immediately more engaged and it lasts for the entire session. Amazing tool.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

waderockett posted:

Great advice

Sounds good to me! Thank you.

This adventure has already set up one of the most nail biting encounters our group has ever had. A Commander, Monk, and Wizard. They fought Rubicarn and didn't take a full rest until after Sorrowscorn. When Sorrowscorn showed up, I'm honestly shocked they didn't simply scatter.

Though to be fair their preferred method of dealing with traps is using recoveries after the fact, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Anyone foresee rules madness and corner case oddities with a Commander and Occultist (both 4th level) in the party slinging off turn actions around?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Answer: everyone novas at round 4 and knocks your campaign's final showdown from unstaggered to dead.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Man, getting The Eyes of the Stone Thief shipped from the UK to the US sucks

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

waderockett posted:

Are you ordering from Pelgrane and they're shipping it from the UK instead of Nevada for some reason (like maybe the warehouse is out of stock)? Or is someone mailing a copy they bought?

Oh! I guess I don't know. It's from Pelgrane, the shipping says "To the USA‚" and the website says "goods of UK origin."

But there's no tracking number (that I can find) so I guess I just assumed. A Nevada warehouse makes far more sense!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

ProfessorCirno posted:

That's absurd and dumb, and completely contradicts the entirety of how Jack of All Spells works, sooooo

Death of the publisher

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

moths posted:

I ran last year's Free RPG Day adventure, which included guidance for using it as an intro module for Stone Thief. If he can track down a copy, that could be worthwhile.

I ran this last week in preparation for Stone Thief. Two notes. The only legal way I know of to get it is buying the 13th Age Monthly Volume 1 through Pelgrane for $25. imo worth it though, lots of other good stuff and the one shot really is very good at setting up the adventure. Two, it's written for level 2 characters and Stone Thief starts at lvl 4. The friend will need to pump up the numbers and abilities so players don't steamroll everything.

I love love love the book and we're playing first time proper in the dungeon this Thursday. I'll post some thoughts about actually using the book in play after that.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Ebay? Like seriously I'm pretty sure :filez: isn't even an option.

A bit silly for what was a free product, but it's Pelgrane's content and I needed something in 30 minutes so I ponied up for the monthly volume (and didn't regret it for all of the additional content).

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
We've done 4 sessions of the Stone Thief mega dungeon so far after the intro adventure

The intro adventure is good, but doesn't really leave the players with a strong reason to dive into the dungeon unless you stick something else in there. They'll go in because hey, adventure. But it doesn't really give them much motive beyond that at the beginning.

Characters so far have been 4th level barbarian, wizard, RAW monk, commander, and occultist. They are just loving wiping the dungeon and after 4 sessions I finally had to talk to them out of game in a "no really, there's poo poo here that will one shot you to immediate death. Please realize using the environment creatively or running away or at least god damned sneaking is an option." A post earlier from someone who has ran most of the dungeon said there were surprisingly killer encounters. We've had difficult encounters but they've been steamrolling double strength level 8 crazy poo poo at level 4 so :shrug:

I agree the book is more difficult to use in game than many published adventures. I've been trying to adhere strictly to the book because we usually play more improv DM games like Apoc World, but it's drat hard when the PCs could go to three entirely different sections of the dungeon in a single session. It's hard to prep that much of the sandbox at once.

That said, the book really tries to throw lots of useful info at you inline to help you handle curveballs. Particularly complex encounters even have FAQs with them. Welp, now the party has a sword of slaying with "Makh Miz Adaor" written across it. But I do have a question that wasn't addressed in the book.

Spoilers for a single encounter from pretty early in the dungeon:

The Lure of Books -- PCs came across a surprisingly intact library with a single podium and a little crystal spot light in the darkness illuminating a book about fungi (hooks into the monk's OUT). The monk convinces everyone to go in and of course, as soon as the monk picks up the book, all of the literature attacks the party.

The books really don't do much damage, but upon a successful hit the player has to read out loud a random page of a book, save at the end of each page. I come prepped with some yellowing straight-from-Scholastic Bruce Coville and a CivPro book from law school in case any of the monsters crit. Kind of monkey cheese but after 4 sessions of slogging through traps and orcs everyone is soon talking over each other, the table is absolute chaos, everyone is having a blast, I'm just kicking back and....

The monk just so happens to have the Three Cunning Tricksters form. As well as The Gift Returns feat. And the monk of course just happens to roll a 19 on his save.

So my question is...

What do you do with A Salient Treatise on Edible Fungi that has to read itself out loud?

fosborb fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 6, 2016

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
If two players got swallowed would you rule that they could help each other? (My players like diving in after each other -- makes derro ambushes fun)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I think it's definitely worth checking out some monsters published later after launch, though it's less important in the first few levels.

Partially it's math tweaks. Double or triple strength monsters are pretty common in my champion-tier campaign now and players have lots of ways to avoid or mitigate damage. (though our group has a wizard, Occultist, AND commander so it's pretty uncommon for anyone needing to accept their first roll......). But designers have also become really good at evoking particular flavor with a few special powers.

In the Eyes of the Stone Thief, there is a set piece monster that has a 2 attack 30 damage basic attack (hard but not absurd). On a natural even the target chooses -1 AC or more damage. If both attacks hit, target can't use escalation die next turn. If the attack staggers the target, there's a free action special trigger against PD for ongoing 10 damage. If she is staggered, she gets to use the escalation die for her attacks.

So, two huge axes, a go for the throat finisher, and rage when she's hurt. The barbarian in our group was like oh, I get these people and the fight ended in a "friendly" competition of strength and a huge, drunken party.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
  • from the first public beta, I've always ran 13A; never played a PC
  • the party is at level 5 and we have a new player joining who hasn't played d&d since 3x, so I offered to build out the character of his choice based on a list of classes I gave him and some follow up questions.
  • I somehow had it in my head that a chaos mage was only slightly more complex than a barbarian.

:suicide:

Also, I can't say this enough, an elven monk + dwarven commander is a very fun combo. Especially once the commander starts dropping increased crit ranges and extra standard actions.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Rohan Kishibe posted:

Am I missing something here, or do the Starport Brain's lair effects never trigger as written?

Typo. You can see the correct numbering on page 62.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Hey it's ASH LAW not ASH COPY EDITOR

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Night10194 posted:

I can't get myself to start Pillars of Eternity because it looks about as flavorful as tapioca.

The writing is complete garbage. You aren't missing anything.

re: solos.

I think you can solo parties pretty much anytime with 3 players. Any more than that and they just have too many options. Especially once they get into Champion tier and especially especially if they are using some of the action order fuckery 13 True Ways classes.

That said, I think you can solo bigger parties if you don't let them take an extended rest beforehand. Make them already be an encounter or two past when they would really rather sleep. Solos when everyone's down to 2 or less recoveries are much better and still completely doable. Tired PCs limp out of big set piece battle completely wrecked and ready for a long night's sleep, and the players have a real sense that they "won" despite odds.

Here's something that should be able to keep 3 sixth level characters busy.

but yeah even this needs back up with more players. And I would probably increase the HP by 50% - 100% against a fresh party, but my players are a bunch of nova assholes who could take this down in less than a round, if its first thing in the morning.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I know this is old hat for many in this thread but this was a huge revelation for me and I don't think it can be stated enough....

When the party seeks dragons, the GM has a choice.

For far too long I said, sure, you passed the skill check so have the dragons and then I'll figure out how to keep the campaign going in a way where you want to leave your dragons behind! Oh ho! I bet you want your McGuffin buried deep with these narrow catacombs through these lethal dragon traps!

But the correct choice is always, oh cool! I didn't realize you guys wanted to do dragons! Let's flesh them out a bit if they're going to be A Thing.

fosborb fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 7, 2016

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Jesus. Clearly improving a Final Final Form is the correct and cool choice, but I'd be very tempted to surreptitiously throw an extra zero at the end of that stat block.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
A player in my group is playing exactly that with a chaos mage. Seems to be working well for him, especially playing opposite a wizard that constantly antagonizes him.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
I stalled out on Eyes of the Stone Thief during the holidays and we've just been puttering around Burning Wheel since.

I'm sooooo tempted to reboot the campaign with Chroma Chronicles playtest content. From what's been described of the character options, I think the setting would be an awesome fit.

Related, there's a G+ community called Games on Trial that is just for organizing playtests. It's very new, but draws from the G+ RPG crowd so there might be good feedback to be found there.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

-Fish- posted:

BETA DRAFT OF ALL CORE PLAYER CONTENT FOR CHROMA CHRONICLES HAS BEEN COMPLETED

We still need to spend some time going over everything with a fine toothed comb to tease out any obvious bugs before we start doing any playtesting, expect announcements soon.

Fosborb, if you're still interested in running this stuff by your players, feel free to contact me. PM here, twitter @BirdTypeGlitch or email shiniba at gmail dot com all work.

gently caress yeah PM on the way. I'm going to run a prequel adventure in Eyes of the Stone Thief, set in the Age of Animes.

e: also, seriously, congratulations. that's a huge achievement.

fosborb fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 30, 2017

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
We finally got to play a session of Chroma Chronicles last night!

Paul the loner who takes particular care of his sentient vine monster Creeper
BVP the diminutive tiger-penguin swim team captain
Granny Smith the doddering groundskeeper
Alan Emperor the Prince of the Universe, stuck at boarding school with the rest, at Mega City High

It was ... really loving good.

There were lots of memorable scenes, but here's my favorite moment -- all supported by Chroma's classes and their flavoring:

At a high school's loading dock, a monstrous raccoon has been entangled in a shrubbery that has suddenly burst through the concrete. The raccoon is lashing out at all that approach it while an evergreen tumbleweed gives it nasty looks and teachers' cars swirl around in the built up energy of the encounter. Laser spiders take up sniper positions around the roof, at the direction of the raccoon's Nokia wristwatch. The new transfer student is suddenly obscured and then engulfed by a tornado of rose petals, just as a van with "demon catchers" written on its side (plus a depiction of a broadly smiling cat) screeches around the corner into the lot.

Pitch perfect.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
More feats for Chroma Chronicles!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
What everyone's really saying is take a moment to properly write up this setting, pay a goon a bit of editing cash, and push that poo poo on DriveThru because holy poo poo 31st Age is totally a thing I need.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Most encounters are designed for tougher fights too and will detail how to make those set piece fights still dangerous. Take that advice and bump up up and defenses and it should be seamless.

That said there are a few upper level encounters that, unmodified, might actually be fair for lvl 7.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Razorwired posted:

So I need a little help. Started a new campaign and one of the players has made a Rogue. He's having fun and I like his character. But since he's new he's falling into little traps like taking Deadly Thrust with an 8 Strength. I could use some suggestions for homebrew powers and stuff that key off Charisma.

What would be the downside to just making Deadly Thrust key off of Charisma?

Someone who talks his way in close, even in the midst of battle, sounds pretty awesome to me.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
We still play all battles on a map.

Hex or square, you could just say:
Touching : melee
Within 3 : close
Within 10 : far

If you need more crunch, you could even expand/contract those boundaries based on minor action skill rolls, relative heights, prevailing winds, whatever. Lots of things could impact distance of an attack that would not necessarily gently caress with accuracy, giving their position on the playmat more mechanical weight.

You could always just give bonuses to the d20 attack roll itself, of course, but that's pretty boring.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Race to Starport has "travel montages" at the beginning of sessions. One player states a problem that occurs during their travels, the next player states how their character solved it. Go around the table clockwise until everyone has stated a solution to a problem. No one rolls for the solution; it's just a quick narrative icebreaker that also gets characters from point A to point B.

I just used that concept to open a Fate game where the "travel" was hauling rear end in a car chased by a van full of vampires with machine guns. Each player's solution netted them a related tag, and the montage ended at rolling initiative for a combat. It worked out really, really well.

fosborb fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 20, 2018

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Spikes32 posted:

Does 13th age have good pre-made stories? I only saw two in the op, but don't really know how they hold up.

Hell yeah, this thread helped write one of adventures in 13 True Ways.

The Organized Play adventures are pretty good. I still use the opening montage in about every game I run.

I also really enjoyed running the mega dungeon The Eyes of the Stone Thief.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

HomegrownHydra posted:

The Book Of Ages is available for pre-order. It provides procedures to collaboratively flesh out the past ages before you start a campaign. This looks like a fun way to further customize your game world and get the players invested before you begin. The book also has a bunch of sample ages you can use if you just want to drop one into an existing campaign.

Microscope (http://www.lamemage.com/microscope/) is great for this and any system, too.

Oh and Eyes of the Stone Thief can take you from 4th to 8th level and is just generally loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

My Lovely Horse posted:

I dunno. At least we're level 4 now and I can start on Eyes of the Stone Thief and relax a bit about designing encounters and plots and such, and maybe that gives me more of an idea about how you're supposed to do this.

If you're looking for a challenge, Eyes of the Stone Thief can definitely provide. There are few safe areas to get back your dailies, and you can get to a creature within 2 sessions that will do a flat 100 damage at +15 to AC. (and only 3d20 on a miss!)

Have you played an Eberron campaign before? Especially at low levels, I like to present the icons more as dragonmarked houses. The players get used to dealing with the Icons through their organizations, and it works especially well when the NPCs don't outright say "I work for the Archmage!" but the players can deduce that by priorities, outlook, etc.