Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Turtlicious posted:

Whoa, I definitely missed the Incremental Bonus Rules, I should be letting players get tiny bonuses after every session then? Do those stack with the normal level up bonuses or are they an alternative?

Where in the Core Book are they explained?

After every, or every other full heal would probably be better, unless you guys are managing a full heal (+) per session, since otherwise they'd usually run out of incremental upgrades. It's an entirely optional rule if you want to give your players a more constant sense of mechanical progression as you play - when I brought it up with my players they unanimously preferred the full jolt of change that came with a level up; though now that we've had several sessions they may think differently. The rule is listed on pg. 189 of the core book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Does anyone have High Magic and Low Cunning? I feel my biggest weakness as a GM is making particularly interesting combat events, apart from picking story and thematically appropriate enemies, so I thought HMLC would be perfect for me, but I wanted to be sure it doesn't fall flat.

Maybe I'm answering my own question here, but it's pretty expensive and I wanted to be sure of getting it.

E: Yes, I've checked out the three battles provided on the website and through SFU.

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 25, 2016

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Maxwell Lord posted:

One thing I've noticed about the monster math in this system- monsters are a bit harder to hit than it seems like they should be. 4e basically builds things so that you're usually hitting on a 10 or better, a 1st level monster has AC 15, you get +3 from putting a 16 in your class' primary and +2 from most weapons you're proficient with, 15 - 5 = 10.

In 13th Age a 1st level monster has an AC of 17. You get your ability plus your level in bonuses (no proficiency), so if I put an 18 in my best score and get +1 for my level that's still only +5, so I need a 12 or better. If I stack my bonuses right for a 20 in my main attack score I still only hit half the time.

Is there something I'm missing?

The Escalation Die! The math starts off with battles being, generally speaking, more of an uphill battle for the characters. As the escalation die rises however, the math swings more in the players' favor making it more and more likely that the players will bring down the enemies. This is also an important part of what makes enemies that are also able to use the escalation die, or enemies that give the players incentives to forgo the escalation die, particularly notable threats.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Does anyone have an idea about how long it generally takes for books to go from print + PDF only to having PDF only options become available? I'm interested in getting The Crown Commands, but ideally I would prefer to not pay an extra 20+ shipping for the physical copy as well, if I can avoid it.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Pre-orders for the Bestiary 2 have opened up, for those interested.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

If you were a subscriber to 13th Age Monthly 2, check your Pelgrane bookshelf - the playtest for the Demonologist for the upcoming Book of Demons is in there.

Update: It's really cool so far

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 3, 2017

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I make Excel character sheets for shits and giggles, and 13th Age being the game I've been running for the past 3 years, my sheet for it should hopefully be fairly polished, if you're into Excel based sheets.

It's set up for regular 13th Age and not glorantha specifically, but it wouldn't be hard at all to change the icon section to fit runes.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

You could remind them that the character they saw doing that on a podcast only has the 'mechanical impact' take place after the fight. That character is never in danger of being shut down mid-fight because they're fond of fireballs.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Those are the ones that have improved versions to my knowledge. IIRC there's an Improved Monk floating around that people like, and in a similarly themed vein I quite like Ryven Cedrylle's Martial Artist on the Vault of the 13th Age. With the druid, the 'fix' I've heard most often is giving Druids a 4th talent at level 5.

Speaking of alternate classes; I went and made a Witch. It's "feature complete" I think, and while I worked hard to try and get good balance I can't be certain yet that it is balanced. The elevator pitch idea with it is it's a spellcaster that can focus or generalize across three spell pools; Hexes and Curses, Nature and Weather, and Potions and Brews. Within these spells are ones categorized as Jinxes and Banes, where you have spells with which you need to Jinx enemies, and while they're Jinxed you can hit them with the bigger, nastier Bane spells. There's also a cauldron class feature to make your own potions.

I've been putting the class up here and there to get feedback - if y'all want to take a look too I can link a PDF.

Also I've been loving the trip reports on the Stone Thief and it's making me wish I had done one when I was putting my players through it.

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 6, 2021

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Declan MacManus posted:

link that sweet sweet pdf

Well here it is! I'll be doing my best to keep this link updated as changes are made. Note that if you preview the file, Drive converts the PDF into a document, and very bad things happen to the tables (and the formatting in general). Convenient for comments (and I have a slightly more out of date document version out there for that purpose), but harder to look at.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10vXtk9p51LViC-CvMXIrpvNaFsPUfVvy/view?usp=sharing

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

HomegrownHydra posted:

I have a question about multiclassing. My friend wants to play a ranger/bard with an animal companion and one bard talent. So the PC won't have any ranger specific attack abilities. Bard's take a -2 attack penalty for using two-handed (d10) weapons while rangers don't. Am I interpreting the rules correctly that the PC will be able use a two-handed (d10) weapon AND bard battle cries for all their attacks without a penalty? Or would it need to use a one-handed (d8) weapon in order to use bard battle cries without the attack penalty?

This question lead me to discover I had been interpreting this part of the rules wrong for years.

A multi-classed character gets the benefit of the better weapon attack abilities among the two classes, but the character has to choose which character class they're making a basic attack as. So a commander paladin multiclass for example has to say ahead of time whether the attack they are making is a Commander attack or a Paladin attack; they can't attack and decide that moment whether they are smiting or gaining fight from the front points.

So your player has to be making Bard basic attacks using the attack rules for the Bard, but since they're a ranger as well they get to swing two-handed weapons without penalty. AND the bard's attack and hit stats are the most flexible; so they can use Strength OR Dexterity for both attack and damage. So long as there's nothing they want to do that only a ranger can do on basic attacks (which I don't believe there is unless/until they pick a relevant Ranger talent), they should be able to do Battlecries with battlexes.

My original interpretation was right.

So the exact wording is "Better weapon attack abilities among your two classes" regarding weapon attacks. So this is referring to the ability scores your character uses to make attacks, like Strength, Dexterity, or either for attack and/or damage. So Bard has maximum flexibility here in that they can use either ability score for attacks and damage, but Rangers are less flexible in this case since their damage only keys off Strength.

However, you retain the basic attacks of both classes. When you make an attack as a Bard, you have to take all the penalties associated with making an attack of that weapon type with that class - but you get the option to use flexible attacks and other abilities that are based on that classes weapon access. So in order to use battlecries, you have to be making a Bard attack, which means no two-handed weapons unless that character wants a -2 attack penalty.

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 19, 2021

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Your interpretation of the attacks and ability scores makes sense. I've just not interpreted it that way before; and I'd be fine letting characters use the better attack matrix; it harmonizes more nicely with the other rules like you say, too.

However if my interpretation is correct - I don't understand why in your Fighter/Wizard example the character using a Wizard's attack instead of a Fighter's? Just... Do Fighter attacks; no reason to ever make a melee weapon attack as a Wizard in that case.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I put up the most recent version of my Witch homebrew class on Vault of the 13th Age, which you can find here: https://13thage.org/index.php/classes/718-the-witch

It's formatted nicely now and the mechanics should be in a reasonably good place - but if you find anything that sucks / is too good / makes no sense please let me know.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

unimportantguy posted:

Maybe I'm misreading it, but looking at the PDF, it looks like the In Thunder, Lightning, or in Rain talent doesn't actually do anything with its chosen element unless you take the feats. Is this intentional?

Without any feats, any Nature spell that has the Special note saying something like "damage may match your In Thunder, Lightning Or in Rain choice", is a thing. Other than that, yeah by default the choice doesn't do much else until you pick the right feats. Considering how minimally damage types come into play in most 13th Age campaigns I can look into modifying that talent if that feature falls a bit flat for folks, though it does still get the Swashbuckle-like feature.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Double checking similar existing features like Swashbuckle, I think my thinking was along the lines of wanting to keep the damage type feature more of a smaller extra, since Swashbuckle (/the upgraded Bravado from Glorantha) only include an improv stunt feature. Plus it makes a good base to carve out a more specific niche for your Witch that I could add onto with the feats. Then the few times you do run into something that's vulnerable to X or resistant to the default damage type on a spell it feels nice, even though 13th Age honestly dropped the ball a bit on making damage types more impactful.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

canepazzo posted:

Duh, I should have probably mentioned that. I have the corebook and nothing else in print; mostly I'm wondering if anything is missing from the bundle that might be worth getting in print, or even if any of the books in the bundle are good enough / pleasant to read / to look at that merit a print version.

The big one that's missing I noticed is 13th Age in Glorantha - which is a great book imo

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Nothing on a second edition that I've seen. They're still releasing splat books and adventures. Some of the more recent/upcoming ones:

Book of Demons' Demonologist is a wonderful class, good to hear it's apparently in the srd.

Book of the Underworld is only really useful if you're looking to set adventures underground or want more inspiration for the kinds of stuff you'd find there.

Shards of the Broken Sky has a good set of disparate adventures that can be strung together or used on their own. Very magic oriented though which may or may not fit your campaign. A few player options and some new monsters, which can be useful.

Book of Ages has lots of player options and new monsters, and is centered around a fun way to create the history for your world.

Drakenhall: City of Monsters is going to be a sourcebook centered on the town in question, still in development.

Crown of Axis, Elven Towers, and Behemoths Paths of the Koru are all adventure leaning, but I believe Behemoths will be a bit more of a source book than the others. Of these crown of Axis is the only one that's been released.

As far as 'must haves' beyond the core book, True Ways is great, and I use Glorantha all the time and really like the classes in it. I use the info on the dm screen all the time as well as a quick encounter creation reference and reminder of status effects.

As far as homebrew classes, looking at 13thage.org, i like all of Ryven Cydrelles classes, The Elementalist, the Seeker, and the Stalwart. I made a Witch class myself, so I'm not an unbiased source on it, and it's not had too much iteration yet. But it's worked well in my campaign so far, and the feedback I've heard since posting it had been positive - at least as much as people have shared. /Shrug

I've not been a fan of almost any of martin k's classes, but people seem to like what he did in dark alleys and twisted paths I guess.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

When I ran Stone Thief for my group, i wound up ending stone thief at the normal level 8, and then continued with the story that had been proceeding outside the Thief to level 10. Very cool to see people's adaptations for a post 8 Thief campaign.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

LimitedReagent posted:

Has anyone used the Swordmage https://www.13thagesrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/swordmage/ or the Witch https://13thage.org/index.php/classes/230-auto-generate-from-title classes? I've got a couple players interested in those two and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with them.

I thought that Mattson's witch was pretty neat hypothetically speaking, but I unfortunately haven't had the chance to experience it in-play, my player who was setting up a witch character nixed that one as an option pretty quickly when we were going over options, and unfortunately I cannot recall why.

The swordmage has a lot of fans of it, but personally I have never encountered a Killman class I liked, and he's expressed some very bizarre opinions on class design in this very thread.

Disclosure re Witch classes: I have a bias because I made one. I made mine to fit a particular idea regarding Witches that I had for my setting, and as a result I haven't really used any of the existing ones that I know of. Mattson's was my favorite of the ones I had been reading up until I committed to making my own, though! One of my players briefly played the War Witch that's available through ASHLEY LAW's Patreon prior to the completion of my one homebrew, however.

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 14, 2022

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

The Elementalist is great, I always make sure to point it out to folks any time character creation is on the table.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

At least we know some Pelgrane folks read this thread, and everywhere I've seen discussion people are unhappy about Tweet, so maybe there'll be enough clear pushback to take Tweet off of "2e" development :ohdear:

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

"Without Tweet i won't work on 13th age 2e and it withers on the vine"

Nah i think I'd rather they move on completely without Heinsoo too if he's going to issue ultimatums requiring his race realist buddy with lovely design ideas to be on the team.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I posted here a while back about a homebrew witch class I made - I wanted to get an update in to it before the playtest released, and I almost succeeded.

You can find it on Vault of the 13th Age here: https://13thage.org/index.php/classes/718-the-witch

I didn't keep track of changes very well before this release, so if you grabbed one of the really early ones there might be quite a lot different, but if you found it on 13thage.org you should have a nice change log to see everything that changed since the last release at the bottom. Hopefully one day I'll finally have some art to go in here to break up the text!

Like anyone would be, if you have comments or feedback I'm very interested in hearing it; there's only so much playtesting I can do on my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

The Landing Page posted:

Also there’s an option for using icon connections in combat, but just because it exists doesn’t mean it’s the best option. . . .

Incredible to see Tweets returning influence so strongly on the landing page despite very pointedly never including a "jon says"