Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm not very familiar with the production process for these sorts of books. If 13 True Ways is in layout, does that mean we've reached the end of the playtesting process, or that it's reached a point where the vast majority of things are finalised, and that only minor adjustment will be made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

The massive destructive power of the red is surprisingly useful for building bypasses.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Can I get some second opinions regarding the Commander's new level 1 command, 'You Set Them Up, I Finish'?

I mentioned it to my game's DM because I thought it seemed pretty neat, but he found the CHA mod damage bonus pretty underwhelming for a party of our level (we are currently level 4), considering the power's 4 point cost.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I didn't find the Fighter I played to be as disappointing a class as some of you make it out to be.

I built your standard sword/shield defender type guy, did a lot of intercepting/improved intercepting so I stayed busy, and took as many options as I could to let me make multiple attacks/ attack rolls per turn. I basically had a 50/50 chance on up to 3 rolls a turn of doing something tactically useful, or boosting my crit range, which is a nice bonus.

I enjoyed the random chance element of the flexible attacks, but I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, it's certainly a far more exciting class than say, the Paladin for example.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

My friends and I are just starting a new 13th Age game, and it looks like I'm the designated GM. I was browsing the books for ideas and I'm quite taken with the idea of a campaign of largely episodic adventures (I'll probably end up cribbing a lot of stuff from Tales of the 13th age) with an overarching plot concerning the Deck of Dread alluded to in 13 True Ways.

I like the idea of concluding a lot of the 'episodic' adventures with the discovery of a card that either refers back to the just-completed events or foreshadows future ones, but I don't have much of an idea of where, if anywhere collecting the whole set could possibly lead. Anyone have any advice or experience with doing this sort of thing?

(To clarify, if I went ahead with this I would only present the cards to a character without comment unless the party decided to look into them.)

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Speaking of all this resource management business, I was recently making a Chaos Mage and I wanted to make sure I was interpreting its level progression correctly.

A level one Chaos Mage gets 2 Daily spells and 1 Once-Per-Battle spell, am I right in interpreting this to mean that (barring any feats or talents providing exceptions) it can cast any of its once-per-battle spells in a single combat, and afterwards all of the other once-per-battle spells are locked off until the next fight?

Similarly, can daily spell slots can apply to any daily spell, any number of times up until the defined limit? So for example, assuming spell determination allowed me to, could I cast BLARRRRGH! one turn, expending one of my daily slots, then the next turn expend my other daily slot by casting BLARRRRGH! again? Or would I have to wait until spell determination allowed me access to a pool with a different daily in it?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

There's one on the vault I believe, but I've heard mixed things about it. I can't remember the fine details but it seemed a little overtuned.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Is it just me, or does the Chaos Mage's epic feat for Silver Arrows make the spell actively worse than the champion feat? Since the number of targets keys off the escalation die now, does that mean the spell just can't be used in the first round of combat?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

They were only for kickstarter backers, right? I'd love to get my mitts on the Icon and Escalation Die.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm in a similar situation in the game I run, a friend and I have a vague plan to turn his One Unique Thing into a potential healbot (the long and short of it is he's a necromancer who's being constantly stalked/ assisted by the same magical skeleton), but it hasn't been necessary yet.
I've also considered houseruling something like "Once per battle you can use a healing potion as a quick action if you forfeit the bonus healing", but I don't know how well that would balance.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I like to interpret him as a rabid dog. He's currently completely focused on the Diabolist, but if he ever finishes his business with her, he'll immediately start crusading against someone else with just as much fervor. The Emperor or the Priestess for example.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Playing all the icons as massive stereotypes is super fun to me.
They're the pulpiest DND characters in a pulpy DND world.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Anyone know a good monster that would charm/ magically ensnare a town and become the apparently beloved mayor of it?

The Jorogumo would be perfect, but I'd quite like the townsfolk to survive the ordeal if possible.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Multiclassing clarification question: Does the No Power Crossover rule mean that the Ranger's Lethal Hunter, Favoured Enemy, etc talents only apply to the Ranger's basic attacks, and not attacks made by the other part of the class-combo.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

RAW, the no power crossover rule does not apply to passive effects that don't require an action, such as Ranger talents like Favored Enemy and First Strike (but it might affect Lethal Hunter, though probably not since it's a free action). Hence, Ranger/Fighter with Deadeye Archer + First Strike + Archery that crits on an 11 once per battle.

Oh that's great news, and bodes well for the Ranger/Rogue I wanted to make.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

On the subject of familial relations to Icons, I have an upcoming character whose current Unique Thing is that he's the 13th son of the 13th Emperor of the 13th Age. Any ideas on how I can spice that up a bit? I'm basically just making the guy a post-fairytale Prince Charming parody.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Thanks for the great ideas everyone. Think I'm gonna go with something along the lines of PublicOpinion's ritual component idea, if only because my DM is going to love compelling me to cut off some part of my body for ~powerful magjycks~ and a negative background.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I like item quirks, but our games are very light hearted. My DM is pretty liberal with the treasure so shortly before out 3-4 level up most of us were one item over our controllable limit, so we were all magical messes, bickering and arguing with each other over the smallest things.

The necromancer had an item that always made him think it was too hot, the wizard had one that made them think it was too cold. They used rituals to fight over the metaphorical thermostat.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I think I mentioned earlier, but the reason I hate them is basically PTSD from 3.PF, where my players eventually revolted against the idea that they were playing collections of magic items instead of themselves. Having the items also forcibly overwrite your personality just feels like it amplifies that thing I and my regular group hate most about magic items.

I feel like your group must treat them as more of a hard-and-fast rule than the people I've played with. As the book says, "You are not required to roleplay quirks when you’re under the item limit. It’s purely optional." I've found they largely just provide either punchlines, or some guidance/ a start point if I, the player am unsure how my character would react to a certain situation.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Goblin Gamblomancer also seems like a great concept for a Chaos Mage.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I recently tried to make a necromancer/rogue because I wanted to make a character called Tutankhamen Sandiego, but I found the combination rather underwhelming. Anyone have any ideas?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

My friends and I just wrapped up the Elf Queen's enchantment, and jesus, what a sweet bossfight that was. Due to an absence there were only three of us, and the General managed to down two of us on her first turn. If it weren't for a couple of lucky critical hits we never would have made it.
Hecka keen to get started on the other two related adventures with new characters.

e: my 2 cents re: Walker's new class, the Egomancer builds hubris.

Roach Warehouse fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 15, 2015

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

If you have access to the Book of Loot there are a couple of things in there that might help, such as the Gauntlets of Spellbreaking.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

My tales of the 13th Age group has made our second party for Wrath of the Orc Lord (having previously completed The Elf Queen's Enchantment). Our new characters include:

My guy, a Ranger/Rogue who is the Prince Charming parody, 13th Prince of the 13th Emperor of the 13th Age. (Kudos to the thread for helping flesh out his OUT a while back).
An improved monk who is a sort of Hercules/demi-god type figure. He and I are gaining a reputation as the people who recklessly rush into groups of orcs and suffer for it.
A previously famous bard who sold out to the extent that his name is now a paragraph long series of sponsors "The Crusader Presents, in conjunction with etc, etc"
A wooden golem created in a previous age by the High Druid to act as a trojan horse to assassinate a previous Dwarf King
A Chaos mage whose concept is a pretty standard sort of 'demon' wizard type, but who plays off the rest of the party really well.
And an Aeon Summoner (a really complex seeming fan-class) who is a mercenary currently employed by the Three.

Together we fight orcs and argue semantics when we really should be sneaking about.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Chaos Mage is not something that's going to appeal to everyone but, if you're happy to allow for that element of random chance to decide what you're capable of in a given turn it's an amazing class that's a lot of fun.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm in the early stages of some campaign planning and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on Magic Item distribution.

I want to strike a good balance between giving my players fun toys (and if they need them for the encounter math to work, then that too I guess) but also making the rewards feel special. Additionally, any advice on striking a balance between letting players get their hands on a particular Item if they want it, and finding treasure in an organic or plot driven manner?

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

If there's room for it in your concept of the setting, you could pretty easily replace the environmental themes of the High Druid with almost The-Force like mythology.

I don't have a pithy name for them but your space druids could believes in forces like the gravitational rotation of the galaxy being a guiding hand in all things from the tides, to the actions of humans.

E: In retrospect this is like a weird non-earthbound astrology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

It’s been a fair while since I’ve played but I remember Rogue/Ranger was a pretty fun combo.