Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

moths posted:

I never realized how much time we'd been wasting counting squares before I ran 13th Age.

Plus we had a player who needed to optimize every move, and now he could just go where he wanted to be.

There's definitely room in gaming for tactical maps, and it's a matter of preference, but with so much emphasis on quick combats it seems like a disservice to graft grids back into 13A.

My group heavily desires some level of grid on the table, but that's obviously in contention with what 13th Age wants. What we do is take a standard hex grid and draw big hexes on there. Same hex is engaged, adjacent hex is nearby, and empty hex between is far away. Move action is one hex. Works for us and helps keep things where we can track them easily enough without any bookkeeping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

My friend (our DM) signed up, so I'm interested to see how it is. Also, the credit for our group in the final version will be funny and dumb (I'll share it when it shows up).

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

I'm mostly annoyed that my group stopped playing right as we started getting some of the playtest stuff in.