Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

You could have the High Druid AKA The Conservator be a bit more... well... conservative than the elves, viewing terraforming and bio-engineering as desecrating the natural state of worlds throughout the galaxy. After all, the Elven Manifesto had to be directed at someone.

Amusingly, that would mean that The Conservator's servants are quite technologically advanced, as living on and studying planets without terraforming requires very advanced colonization techniques. If you see a giant transparisteel tower in the middle of a hostile, toxic jungle, it's probably the Conservator's. And trust me, don't go snooping around. Just because they don't bioengineer anything doesn't mean that they haven't collected the nastiest beasties this side of the cosmos to serve as guard dogs.

Edit: oh come onnnnnn.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

What is your favorite monster in the book?

What is the most mechanically interesting monster?

What has the coolest hook?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Yeah, I like the "Named NPCs get a bit of the system's PC generosity" idea, and I think that the mook rules capture the same spirit of the "Fighting large, undisciplined hordes of enemies" that the original morale rules captured.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Elblanco posted:

So I want to create a custom campaign setting using 13th age, but I don't entirely understand Icon relationships and the die rolls for them. What do they do exactly? It feels like some world building mechanics, and I'd like to utilize that, but I'm not totally sure what to do with it entirely.

The icon dice do two things:
1. Provide easy signposting to the DM about what parts of the setting you are interested in. A wizard with a positive relationship with the Archmage and the Emperor and a negative relationship with the Prince of Shadows is a very different person than one with a negative relationship with the High Druid and ambiguous relationships with the Diabolist and the Three.

2. They give Players a bit of narrative fiat when the dice get a 5 or a 6, while prompting the GM to pull them into the Icon's troubles on a 1. This part is, admittedly, a bit handwavey.

When making Icons for a setting, one thing to keep in mind is that a secret icon is a contradiction in terms. People may know lots of misinformation or rumors or hearsay about an Icon, but everyone can run off a list of the Icons in the world.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Why on Earth would you make a new edition and not call it 14th Age?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I've always really liked them in character creation, but struggled to use them in game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Worked pretty well with Fellowship. I can dig up some notes later this week, but the biggest thing I remember is that each part of the Stone Thief was its own community you could gain Fellowship with.