Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

I want to give our paladin a magic weapon that's one of those rare, newfangled shotguns you sometimes see out on the frontier. The player is cursed with bad dice luck, and in general I'm trying to get my players to take advantage of unused icon relationship rolls. I drew from Serf's firearms rules but added the "scatter" effect, as well as a fumble effect to reflect the fact that firearms are prone to blowing up in their users' hands.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this item. Too much? Too little? Could be more interesting?

The Emperor’s Peace (magic weapon: shotgun)
The stock of this firearm holds the shard of a once-proud blade wielded by a Dragon Rider until she fell in battle, her sword shattered. Now her sword is reborn as a new weapon for a new and more dangerous Age.

+1/+2/+3
Range: Melee, Nearby
Damage: 1d8 to 1d3 nearby enemies in a group, or 1d10 to one nearby or engaged enemy
Big drat gun: +2 to background checks meant to intimidate or scare others.
Unstable: Rolling a natural 1 on an attack causes the weapon to deal damage to you instead, and it can’t be used again for the rest of the battle.

If you have at least one positive icon relationship point with the Emperor, you unlock the following powers:

The Dragon’s Roar (once per battle): The closest enemy hit is dazed (–4 penalty to attacks) until the start of your next turn. If all enemies hit are equidistant, choose one.

The Dragon’s Blessing: Spend an unused icon relationship result of 6 with the Emperor to reroll an attack and double the weapon’s bonus to hit.

The Dragon’s Sacrifice: Spend an unused icon relationship result of 5 with the Emperor to reroll an attack and double the weapon’s bonus to hit, but the shades of past Emperors demand a blood sacrifice in exchange for their help: you or an ally takes miss damage (determined randomly.)

Quirk: Driven to find the strongest and most dangerous enemies of the Empire in the area, and compel them to pledge fealty to the Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Doublehex posted:

This was just posted on the site, but it looks awfully familiar.

Yep, it's the update I posted here when Page XX came out. When Simon shares product updates in his View column, I try to remember to pull the 13th Age specific stuff out and repost it in the 13th Age section of the website a few days later, for people who don't read Simon's monthly update.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Old Dirty Cumburgs posted:

Hmm. I love it, both mechanically and flavor-wise, but it does seem a little loaded, no pun intended.

That said, seems like a fun toy, and well-tailored to an unlucky player! I never thought about using relationship successes as ammo.

Thanks! Having slept on it, I think I'll drop Big drat Gun from the mix (as much as I love it.)

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Lynx Winters posted:

Does anyone know if the new playtest doc will be made available to people who preordered the bestiary?

I haven't heard that it won't be made available to Bestiary pre-order customers, but will check.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Bestiary pre-orderers will get the playtest packet on Monday!

Dionysos510 posted:

Does this playtest packet take the place of the complete text pdf of 13 True Ways that Simon said would be out soon, or is that still happening?

This is not a replacement for the complete text PDF. That's still going to happen.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

I sent an email and got it actually. Can I post it here or not?

Yeah, if you have the Owlbear feat text for the druid that was accidentally left out of the playtest doc, you can post it here.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Earthorn posted:

Apparently the Gencon 13th Age events sold out in 30 minutes!

Word is more will be added soon.

YES. My nightmare was that everyone would be so excited for 5e that we'd schedule all these games and then struggle to fill them. This is amazing.

We also have these seminars:

13th Age Adventure Design (panelists TBD)

13th Age GM Roundtable (at the moment Rob, Mike Shea and me)

13th Age: Year One (the state-of-the-game panel with Rob, Simon, me and whoever else we can rustle up)

13th Age Monster Workshop (panelists TBD)

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Basically I have no idea what everyone's talking about.

Here's what's available to playtest:

PACKET 1: Commander, Druid and Monk - last updated in February. Available to people who purchased the 13th Age escalation edition, pre-ordered the Bestiary, and/or who backed 13 True Ways. Rob says we probably have enough feedback on those classes to make necessary changes, so you probably won't see updated versions until 13 True Ways goes on pre-order and the draft-in-progress of the entire book is made available to customers. That will happen when it's ready, but we're aiming for later this month or early June.

PACKET 2: Chaos Mage, Necromancer and Occultist - made available this past Friday to 13 True Ways backers, and to Bestiary pre-order customers today.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

SirFozzie posted:

Hey Wade, if you guys are adding more 13th age events at GenCon, do you still need GM's?

Given the demand we're seeing, more GMs would be fantastic. If you're interested, email Kenderama at kender@gmail.com and Cat at cat@pelgranepress.com and let them know. They'll send you the available slots and a list of adventures you can run.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

moths posted:

Does anybody know anything about the free RPG day packet?

Make Your Own Luck is a prequel to Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan’s upcoming 13th Age adventure Eyes of the Stone Thief, which some of you may have signed on to playtest earlier this year. According to Simon's Page XX column, "the characters must hold out in a town under siege while seeking the enemy within." It's for level 2 characters, and a 6 pregens are included -- plus quick-start rules.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

The Crusader's citadel is laid out to look like a gauntleted fist giving the finger.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

So I woke up to find EN World flooded with D&D preview images, and I was bummed because I wished we had something to show. Then Simon Tweeted layout pages from the commander and chaos mage:

I'll have to see it in print, but the chaos mage may be one of my favorite illustrations from the game. SHE'S LITERALLY EXPLODING WITH CRAZY.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

On the heels of an impromptu Twitter dustup between me, @13thAge and the Dungeon Bastard, we're offering 13th Age at $13 today at DriveThruRPG: http://www.dtrpg.com/browse.php?discount=9300c67d68. This discount expires on the 14th.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Which color hat of shame are you wearing?

Sadly, Simon only gave me one hour to redeem myself with a video so I didn't have time to get the hat of shame. I think I'd have gone with red, though.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Dionysos510 posted:

The Bestiary supposedly shipped to reship locations in the first week of June according to Pelgrane. Which tells me approximately nothing in terms of when I can expect it to arrive. They need to give us some solid information on this, I'm getting really tired of waiting for this thing that I paid for a long time ago. And that goes double for 13 True Ways, by the way.

I agree, and hope to have an update when Cat gets back from Origins on Wednesday.

e: Where did you hear that the Bestiary shipped to reship locations in the first week of June?

waderockett fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 16, 2014

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Gotcha, thanks.

The delays are awful and we're all unhappy about them. Now that Pelgrane has a stable of seasoned designers and developers who know how to design for the system, it shouldn't afflict future products.

Part of the communication problem is that Pelgrane is a tiny publisher with no full time employees. When something happens that takes someone out of the picture such as a family emergency or a convention, communication is severely delayed.

The other part is that printers are not great at communicating with publishers. When Cat gets back from Origins she might know what the status of the book is, or she'll take over from Simon in chasing after the printer for a status update.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Hmm! Interesting. I'll have to bring this up with my GM. Do you have any reccomendations for a class that would be more fun to play as but feel like the paladin? The chosen holy warrior aspect is pretty crucial to my character, so something like that would be great. Something more tactically tanky would be cool, although something more like a damage-dealing healer would be sweet as well.

I've heard good things about the vanguard class.

Edit: And of course there's the Diablo paladin.

waderockett fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 27, 2014

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

The paladin player in my campaign is thinking of going paladin/commander multiclass, which I'd love to see in action.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Geez, Paladin/Commander would be a perfect combo. The only time he couldn't get command points from attacking is when he smites, right?

I had to double-check, but yeah -- the No Power Crossovers rule prevents him from applying Fight From the Front to Smite.

Must investigate NECRODRUID.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Danoss posted:

I just received a shipping notification for the Bestiary. I was an early pre-order customer and I'm in Australia, for what that's worth. Thought this might give anyone one else awaiting theirs a rough idea.

The notification came from Wayland Games, so it seems they're doing the (non-US) fulfillment instead of Leisure Games (I think) that was doing so previously. Hopefully Wayland packs books at least a little better than Leisure did, which amounted to putting them in a folded cardboard sleeve.

Yep, we didn't expect a notification to go out, but Simon confirmed that this message wasn't a misfire -- the Bestiary is shipping now.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I haven't gotten a shipping notification. I thought we were friends, Wade. :argh:

Dear EVIL MASTERMIND,

This is to inform you that our Shipping Ninjas just fired A BOX OF SOME DOPE-rear end poo poo straight at your crib. Put a motherfucking tarp on the floor when you open it because its contents will MELT YOUR FACE.

If you have any questions, FUCKIN CHILL DOG, poo poo'LL WORK ITSELF OUT.

PEACE.

WADE ROCKETT
13TH TRUE JUGGALO
DARK CARNIVAL WISDOM WHAT WHAT

I don't actually know if your book is on it's way, but it probably is.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

I'm editing the 13th Age compatible Deep Magic, and I'm the PR guy for Kobold Press and Pelgrane Press, so I'm in sort of an odd position.

I think the fact that Kobold Press has committed to supporting 13th Age with a major release like this is fantastic. Wolfgang was very wait-and-see about it for a long time, so clearly he thinks the game is here to stay, and a good investment of his resources. Plus, Kobold has a strong reputation for quality products - when we announced they were doing the Tyranny of Dragons adventures, I saw a lot of people comment that they weren't interested in 5e until they learned Kobold was involved. If that carries over into 13th Age, I will be very happy.

As an editor, I will of course try to ensure it doesn't suck. But at this stage I won't be looking hard at mechanics so I can't speak to balance. I do know that ASH consulted with Rob Heinsoo on how to do spells right in 13th Age, so I'm not anxious about it.

Regarding some of the concerns:

Some of the original spells got cut.

1. Wall spells. 13th Age has no way to handle walls, as positioning is relative rather than absolute. One of the wall spells did make it through, but as Pile of Corpses rather than Wall of Corpses.

2. Summoning spells, because 13 True Ways has summoning options for all caster classes. A couple of summoning spells made it through.

3. Necromancer-raising-dead-spells, because of the 13 True Ways class.

Many other spells got merged because 13th Age is so much less granular than Pathfinder. So a lot of the manipulate-shadows-to-get-bonus-to-stealth type spells were merged into a single spell that does the manipulate-shadows-to-get-bonus-to-stealth thing, with feats that expand the application of the spell.

The book contains 30 sample magical traditions/schools of magic, about half of which are Midgard-specific. There's also player guidance on building their own schools of magic. Establishing a school of magic works like backgrounds and OUTs: a player declares, "I received my magical training from the Infra-Monks of the Dungeon Asteroid in geostationary orbit over Horizon" with an accompanying spell list, and it becomes so.

There's also new magical campaign options, which I haven't gotten to yet.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Esser-Z posted:

Can we also get a big book of options for non-casters, please? I don't like it when mages get all the fun toys.

Someone suggested that on G+, and ASH got all excited and rushed off. So maybe something like that is in the cards.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Doublehex posted:

Ugh don't make me even more jealous, bitter and nervous that I didn't get my copy yet. I am moving on the 13th of August at the very latest, so I hope I get my copy soon before I leave a letter for my house's new occupants explaining the situation at hand.

Good news: Earlier today Cat at Pelgrane forwarded me an email from the distributor, saying that the last of the pre-order Bestiaries went out at 2pm PST yesterday.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

RyvenCedrylle posted:

I say this thinking about the 13th Age monthly(?) (Wade, is that right?) release idea Rob announced. That would be a great place to pitch ideas for bulking up the non-caster classes.

The name of the annual subscription is TBD. Yeah, you could definitely pitch this to Rob.

I told Rob about this thread. He said that 13th Age could totally use more cool stuff for martial classes, but it would have to be designed well. He doesn't have well-designed cool stuff for martial classes in his possession at the moment.

Covok posted:

Actually, maybe someone can confirm this, but didn't Rob or John say that they were considering doing a book to give the simpler classes more options after 13TW was out? It was like a few months after launch that they said this.

At a Gen Con panel, Rob said he would like to give the simper classes more options someday. He specifically mentioned being dissatisfied with the paladin.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

lenoon posted:

Wade - I know the bestiary is shipping an everyone must be very busy, but is there an estimated time frame for 13 true ways to be shipped? I could probably pick it up from that store in Enfield or wherever it was. Dead eager.

Well, the Bestiary looks like it's going to be in stores by the end of the month - so, three weeks (give or take) after they went out to pre-order customers. I can't guarantee it'll be the same with 13TW though.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Lord Frisk posted:

Hey Wade, pass along some compliments from me, this poo poo's top notch.

Done, thanks!

Lots of people posted:

MONK STUFF

This is pretty much what the 13th Age Compatibility License is for. The demand is there for many different kinds of monks, so hopefully third party publishers will step up to meet the need.

E: That isn't meant to short circuit this discussion of the monk in 13TW. I just genuinely hope publishers see all of this monk talk and jump on it.

waderockett fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 21, 2014

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

e: I don't have anything else to say about the monk so I won't waste people's time.

Captain Walker posted:

That reminds me: Wade, could you direct me to the commercial use policy for the Archmage Engine/13th Age? I can't sell this thing under the Community Use Policy, IIRC, but I'd like to have PWYW as an option.

Sure - unless you're making a standalone game you'll want the 13th Age compatibility license, which is here.

waderockett fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 26, 2014

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Since I apparently make spreadsheets of everything now, I've created a filterable spreadsheet of all the magic items in the core books.

Sweet.

"Assassin's Arrow" is missing the word "Arrow".

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

So all I have to do to sign up for Organized Play is complete the google form and they'll email it to me, right?

Yep. We don't have an automated system in place yet so it may take a day or three.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Moon Design Productions just announced 13th Age in Glorantha by Rob Heinsoo and Jonathan Tweet. Kickstarter coming soon!

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Jade Mage posted:

Hey, did they ever end up releasing any stats for icons? They hinted they might.

Rob Heinsoo talked about that in this post:

Rob Heinsoo posted:

As the game evolved and matured through further development and play, we became increasingly convinced that this was an idea we didn’t want to pursue half-cocked. You can see the care we took detailing the 4 backer-created NPCs in the Gamemasters’ Grimoire chapter of 13TW. In a sense, those NPCs function a bit like mini-icons, and our final approach to this topic may bear some resemblance to the multi-option approach used for the NPCs. But when I say ‘final approach,’ I’m acknowledging that this isn’t something we intend to pursue soon. When we do finally take this path, it’s almost certainly going to be the basis for a book rather than a slice of a different book. In the near-ish future, we will be doing monster-style stats for various servants and followers of the icons. Some of the high-level lieutenants of the icons will find their way into a 13TW-backers update to provide touches of the high-level play people might have been looking for from actual icon stats.

These days when I think of a fight with an icon, I think of Luke Skywalker fighting Darth Vader while the Emperor watches and chuckles. Luke beats Vader through combat. Luke beats the Emperor partly because he's done a really good job of beating up on the icon's organization all campaign. But also (and more importantly) because he's invested a big stretch of the campaign roleplaying awesomely with the villainous icon's right-hand man--gradually setting up the board so when he screams, "Father! Help me!" it's clear Luke's player just struck the finishing blow.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Jackard posted:

That was me being a pest; I got a "good idea, will check" and then no response since.

The map is available as a free download on the Pelgrane site as well as DriveThruRPG. We don't yet have a product that includes a version that you can repurpose for campaigns in other ages, where the landscape might be different. However! Campaign Cartographer supports making your own 13th Age style maps: http://www.profantasy.com/annual/2012/september12.html

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

Where's the new Tales adventure, Wade? :argh:

Coming soon. ASH hoped to have it ready before he left for Gen Con, but it needed some additional work before it was ready to ship.

On a related note, we're hoping to get someone on board soon who'll help us run organized play, so ASH can focus on the adventures. That person will manage projects, maintain calendars, help us communicate better with OP GMs, groups and retailers, and coordinate our efforts better so I know what OP is doing and vice versa. Fingers crossed.

Mustache Ride posted:

Have they started shipping the Kickstarter editions of 13 True Ways yet? Its strange that I haven't heard anything since the email asking for my shirt size over 3 weeks ago...

That is strange, because we sent an update out to all backers on the 8th letting them know the books had shipped. The printer offered to ship them directly to people so they'd get the books as quickly as possible. Which was great! Except the printer inexplicably shipped them in padded envelopes instead of sturdy boxes so we're seeing some damaged books out there. If you get a damaged book we'll replace it for free.

PAX UPDATE: Pelgrane Press will have a booth at PAX! We're in the Motif hotel (formerly the Red Lion) sharing space with Moon Design, with whom we're partnering for the 13th Age in Glorantha project. All 5 13th Age books will be for sale, along with other Pelgrane games. We're not able to run tables at the show this year but we know several GMs are coming to PAX to run 13th Age in Free Play.

Apropos of nothing: on Sunday night at Gen Con I played a hotel room game of 13th Age where we rode the Archmage's titanic corpse into space, rammed the equally titanic corpse of a dead evil god, and fought our way through the god's rotting insides up to his brain so we could restore the world's stolen magic before the sun ate it. My wizard's One Unique Thing: "I am the illegitimate son of the Archmage and the Blue."

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

Related to this, I still haven't gotten my Organized Play stuff and I signed up several weeks ago? Did I do something wrong in the process? I guess this isn't really helpful but I'm trying to figure out what's up with it.

Did you sign up using this form? If you did, and you aren't seeing an email in your inbox or spam folder, you did all the right things and ASH is just behind in following up. Or you might get the email when the new adventure comes out, in which case an auto-response telling you what to expect would be good. Either way I'll nudge him.

lenoon posted:

Wade, why is ASH LAW written as ASH LAW and not Ash Law?

You'd have to ask his parents, SWORD LAW and SPELL LAW.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Any idea when non-kickstarter preorders of 13 True Ways will ship? I'm late to the party and pre-ordered a few weeks ago but reading PDFs makes my brains hurt. I need to smell the ink and hear the binding crack.

All the US and Canada pre-orders went out at the same time as the Kickstarter books. Simon thinks the rest of the world will get their books in September but will post an update as soon as he knows for certain.

So if you're in the US or Canada, email Cat at support@dyingearth.com and let her know. She'll be on a plane for Seattle on Thursday though, so the sooner you email the better.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

First Gen Con video is up! Rob Heinsoo, ASH LAW, Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan and Philippe-Antoine Menard talk adventure design. Thanks to kenderama for filming and editing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L5yS-MPqtk

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

Cat's catching up on her email backlog as quickly as she can, and will check into your shipping statuses as soon as possible. She'll be on a plane for PAX soon so she'll be offline for quite a while.

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I asked about this before but got sort of conflicting answers, what is the deal with class talents that let you take other classes spells and chaos mage? I know chaos mage multiclassed makes you use the random spell selection system, but I've not been able to find anywhere that says you have to do the same if you've spelljacked a chaos mage spell. It seems like kind of a balance problem because a lot of the chaos mage iconic spells, especially the at-wills, are crazy good and mostly balanced by having a pretty low chance of you getting to use them more than once or twice per battle. Both castigation and evil touch are close quarters at-will spells with great damage and bonuses on top of that, which makes them better than most melee basic attacks.

I asked Rob and Cal, and will let you know what I hear back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waderockett
Apr 22, 2012

FirstPersonShitter posted:

what is the deal with class talents that let you take other classes spells and chaos mage?

Rob acknowledged that this is an "oops" and said:

Rob Heinsoo posted:

You’re jacking a single spell. It’s either one of the three Attack spells, or one of the two Defense spells, OR you choose Icon Spell: At-will, or Icon Spell: Daily/Once-per-battle.

Whenever it’s your turn and your Chaos Mage spell is still available, there’s a 1/3rd chance you can cast it; the other 2/3rds of the time it’s like you are tapping the other two categories instead of the category you want. So roll a d6, on a 5 or a 6 you can cast it. You don’t have to cast it, but you have the option.

If it’s an Icon spell, you’ll also have to determine which icon it is.