Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
My group also found that attacks that target AC feel somewhat underpowered in 13A. Or, at least, that there seems to be a slight mechanical blindspot of the system, where AC-target attacks have, effectively, a hidden penalty to hit compareed to MD/PD attacks because almost every monster in the game has a higher AC than it has PD or MD, while this doesn't seem to be meaningfully compensated for (i.e, the average targets-AC attack isn't more powerful or more effective to make up for the lost accuracy). In terms of real numbers, it's probably a very minor issue in terms of actual battle effectiveness, but it *feels* like a more significant issue than it actually because it a) compounds an existing problem of many AC-attacking characters being less mechanically complex and having less interesting decisions to make, and b) the psychological affect of feeling like you're missing out on the opportunity to do to your character's cool tricks is a real thing.

When I was GMing, I solved it by a fairly simple method - I just manually tweaked the defences of various monsters's - keeping the total values the same, but swapping AC with PD or MD so that AC wasn't always the "best defence". Some monsters still had AC as their strong defence, of course, but I tried to have an even distribution of strong-AC, strong-PD, and strong-MD monsters. I told my players I was doing this, and the feeling of disproportionate disadvantage vanished (even though the actual disadvantage probably barely changed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
Dropping a lone up-leveled triple-strength as a 'boss fight' doesn't really work most of the time (but it's cool so people do it all the time anyway). Other than that, I've found they play pretty well. They're a bit more vulnerable to things like stuns and conditions in general, but they also put out more spike damage, take longer to wear down, and fight at full effectiveness for the whole of their health bar.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013

Covok posted:

You know, I'm not even gonna bother with this thread. A guy mealy mouth saying "there is slight genetic differences from people from different continents" is certainly some poo poo. We going to consider Europe and Asia are the same continent? Because they are the same continent actually. Even without that concession, how about Russia being in Asia? India? How about East Asians and South East Asians? It's just a mealy mouthed way of saying race with contients being a figleaf for the belief. Tweet is actually talking about race but spending a ton of overthinking and huge words to make a point that is both scientifically wrong and would be nonsensical if respect for other people was an inherent part of his mental axiom.

But what's the point? Y'all just want your shiny toy and your morality on the subject comes second. Since Pelgrane and Rob told y'all you can only get your new edition if you accept a racist will be a dev on it, you're backpeddling to make excuses. And now we're basically at the "It's all cancel culture" point of this discussion. There's too many important things to care about to focus on this anymore. I'm not supporting the KS and I'll tell everyone I know not to support it either.

what the gently caress are you talking about, gamer

this thread is like 80% people saying either "well, I'm not going to buy the game because of Tweet, whether or not he's a racist, because I think he's a lovely designer" or "well, I'm not going to buy the game because of Tweet, the racist" and 20% people saying "well, he might not be an actively malicious racist, just a well-meaning dumbass without any self-reflection" and this where you decide to storm off like you're loving Dirty Harry tossing away his badge? "I'm sick of breathing the same air as the rest of you spineless hypocrites crawling over one another to justify your sick desire for an updated set of 13th Age rules. Why, the lot of you would sell your own grandmothers out to the KKK! I'm leaving, you hear me?! I've got better things to worry about! I'm done! And I'm telling everyone I know to do the same!"

e: im not buying the game either and jonathan tweet sucks, but you dont have to transform into a self-righteousness elemental to say that.