Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mormon Star Wars posted:

How are the 13 True Ways classes so good. Wade, how many deals with the devil have been made by Pelgrane Press, give us the scoop.

13 of them, obviously.

13 deals with 13 devils. (Incidentally, the first 161 people to open a copy of the book will forfeit their souls, which is why I always buy digital.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Race: Halfling
OUT: "totally not a redcap waiting for the perfect moment"

Bad Word: "level 10"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

FirstPersonShitter posted:

well, the base book does say that nobody knows where halflings came from...

"The hardest part of comedy is timing... heh heh heh."

-every halfling ever, under their breath

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's going to take me a while to get through this one, too.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

LongDarkNight posted:

For folks that have read thru Eyes of the Stone Thief. Is it as modular as the other 13th Age adventures? I want pick it up for the group that I run but my buddy wants to pick it up for the group I'm going to be playing in. Will that be a problem?

It's pretty modular, but it's more like a six-level (4-10) campaign than a single adventure. You should be able to pick bits out of it, though.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly, the thing that strikes me as really bad about the Druid is how it phrases everything as "here is a cool power, and here is how that cool power is hamstrung if you're an initiate" instead of "here is a cool power, and here's how that power is even better as an adept."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Got my copy of Eyes of the Stone Thief in the mail today. Looks pretty good!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I would probably run the Diabolist as being mostly self-centered and lacking in empathy and maybe a little Randian. She's not a demon or anything, just a witch who's out to have a good life. If people are going to make a fuss about all her bound demons (and a few hundred thousand unbound ones), maybe they should get off their prats and learn dark magic for themselves! Gods know she's left enough copies of "Demonology 101" lying about the place for anybody who's interested. Why does everything have to be her responsibility just because it's her fault?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hm, I picked up the High Magic and Low Cunning preorder, but the PDF hasn't dropped into my library even though it's after February 15th, just the map folio. Anybody know the status of that?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Hm, mine has the folio and the "book plus bonus scene," but the ZIP only has the bonus in it. I'll email support.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This month's Monthly looks really good. The summoning breath of the Blue looks particularly cool, if you're willing to invest in being a walking cloud of lightning lizards.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

Have the stars aligned correctly and blood sacrifice properly slain so that 13th Age Glorantha can be released to the Earth?

They just posted an update about all the little faces they'd created to show who was telling all the little legends in the book, so I think layout still has a while to go.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's because what you get now is the artless pre-layout PDF with the plain text.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

...oh, wow, the art quality really took a hit this time.

I don't even want to be over-critical, but the square pictures with backgrounds fit really poorly into the 13th Age page design.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

Anyhoo, any good additions to the roster?

It's a good book aside from that, although if you bought 13th Age Monthly there's a fair amount of re-used content from that. It's got three icon fights (well, former icons) and I'm a sucker for phoenixes in any interation.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

-Fish- posted:

What are the former icons that are statted up inside?

The Great Ghoul (fairly self-explanatory), the Gold King (a previous dwarf king enslaved by greed), and the Forest that Walks (a former High Druid that is now a literal woods elemental for unclear reasons).

They're basically giant setpiece battles with minions and a bunch of gently caress-you abilities like infinite respawns that you shut off one by one when you win campaign victories against them.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

According to the latest update, PDFs will go up for non-backers this weekend.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Books by Pelgrane Press have done more than anything else in life to convince me that I need one of those mailboxes that you can't stuff a book into bent in half.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I like most of the 13th Age Glorantha classes, but I can't imagine anybody ever playing the trickster.

Am I wrong in remembering that in Glorantha lore proper, tricksters are dangerous, mischevious warriors that people only keep around because having a trickster who's sworn loyalty is sacred to Orlanth via Eurmal, and definitely not useless clowns who pull weasels out of their pants?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Silver? Really?

Man, maybe I should actually get around to publishing the Exalted bestiary stuff I have lying around instead of just thinking about it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Every time someone posts in this thread, I keep thinking I'm going to be told that Shards of the Broken Sky is finally up for pre-order. But, no.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I am extremely annoyed that you lie to me on internet lies day!

....wait, it's real?

I'm kind of afraid to click on the pre-order button for fear that it's some kind of double-double-bluff.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like at this point I'd be okay with a second edition of 13th Age that builds on the good stuff and replaces a lot of the bad stuff.

Like, seriously, what's even up with icon relationships?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

My problem is more that a lot of the adventures seem to expect you to use them, or have them on hand, way more often than you will actually have them available as far as my understanding of the math goes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Every time somebody bumps this thread I keep expecting to see them announce 13th Age 2e, but so far I have not been so blessed.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What are the big things you’d look for in a 13th Age 2E, out of curiosity?

1) People usually ask for more complex martial classes so that it isn't just "fighter simple, caster complicated." That seems like a pretty good idea to me even if I'm not personally invested.
2) All this stuff about "death to ability scores" suits me fine; get rid of all the sacred cows that don't actually add value to the game.
3) My personal #1 would be to totally rewrite the icon system. It seems like icon advantages are the major and occasionally only way to do "projects" or just generally do unexpected things. Reading through the adventures I see a lot of stuff that's like "I guess there's nothing you can do... unless you have an icon advantage?" But honestly you probably won't? You have a pretty decent chance of having no icon advantages on hand at all!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Has Pelgrane ever said anything about going for a second edition? It seems like the demand is there.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Covok posted:

2nd edition, when?

That was my only question, yeah.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

waderockett posted:

Gareth Hanrahan’s been working on his next campaign for 13th Age for at least a couple of years, and I see that it’s now on the website: Prophet of the Pyre is all about dragons and it sounds like it’s going to be rad as hell. https://pelgranepress.com/2022/02/18/prophet-of-the-pyre/

Ooh, that's good stuff.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Well, they didn't answer my question, but they did hint strongly that the answer is "yes." Overall, pleased.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

Speaking of - is there an existing variant Paladin who gets more choices?

A full flame path demonologist.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, I've been wanting a new edition for several ages now, but... having Tweet on the project makes me want to not buy it (the fact that Drakkenhall was honestly pretty bad didn't help).

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Gareth Hanrahan tweeted it, so there's that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Sionak posted:

What was disappointing about Drakkenhall?

Well, a number of things. The complaints I remember having were:
  • The book builds on the writeup of Drakkenhall from 13 True Ways, and doesn't repeat any information from that book, so it frequently refers back to plot hooks from a book you may not have as though you already knew them.
  • Having a different writer for every chapter means that the book feels disconnected and unreal; when a book is nothing but plot hooks that aren't trying to form a unified whole, the city feels unreal. I can't exactly explain why having one chapter refer to to "Blue" instead of "the Blue" makes me want to fling the book across the room, but it does.
  • Building on that, the book never really deals with the idea that maybe "monsters" are just a kind of people. It pretty much just takes it for granted that monsters are evil and want to eat you, so Drakkenhall never really feels like a legitimate community, just a very large dungeon that the Empire allows to exist for some reason.
  • A lot of the writing is just immature and bad. At one point it mentions that the Blue sponsors public entertainments, but that people who suggest that she does this in order to pacify the citizens tend to be mysteriously murdered in the street. The writer appears to think that this is a deeply sinister machination on the Blue's part rather than Governance 101 followed up by a ridiculous act of petty vengeance.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, I finished reading that thread. Tweet may not be a "racist" but he is definitely a "howling moron who cannot be told", and he spends most of that thread responding to long, thoughtful posts by people who actually know what they're talking about with single-line responses, and constantly talking about a "taboo" without actually presenting any evidence that such a thing exists.

It's probably not actually immoral to buy a game with his name on it but the dude is fantastically annoying and unable to accept when he's wrong.

EDIT: I guess maybe a better way to put it is that the dude has Sufficiently Advanced Stupidity that's indistinguishable from malice.

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 9, 2022

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

That is an explanation that is definitely, 100%, an explanation, is all I can say.

(Honestly it has the energy of someone who is well aware that they're being asked to relay a completely unacceptable set of reasons for a decision and isn't looking forward to fielding the response.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I believe Heinsoo/Fire Opal is the one who actually owns the game, not Pelgrane, but yeah, I'd prefer if they just moved on rather than work with the two of them if they're a package deal. I won't be purchasing this edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm honestly kind of mad about how little I now care about 13th Age 2e after spending so long asking for it.