Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I hope it's okay to cross-post asking for advice from the GM advice thread for my 13th age game.

The game I'm GMing is a sort of Nausicca-inspired world with a forest that has killer spores and giant bugs.

My party requested a sort of mad-max style arc. And I put forward two ideas: a thunder-dome battle, or big bug race (it fits because of the setting). So far I got votes leaning towards the bug race. So I've been trying to come up with something that's interesting and not just roll # successes. I like the idea of them zooming around a track board, and the idea of options of attacking others and it being more cutthroat.

The map I have is a pretty basic figure 8 map, measuring 24x30 squares.

Here's what I have:

Turn order is from front to back (with inside of the track going first).

On your turn, each racer moves 5 squares, and chooses an action:
Push: Make a DC 10 animal handling related check. (+Cha and any background that makes sense). On sucess go 2 more spaces (Total 7)

Boost: Same as push, but your mount takes 1 damage, and you take -1 penalty to all future push or boost checks. If you suceed, you go 4 more spaces (Total 9)
If your penalty is already -10, you don't gain any higher penalty, but you take 1 extra damage.

Attack: Roll an attack roll against an enemy, and they take that much damage

Other: Other special actions can be suggested.

Crowsbow Row
This is a section marked in yellow. When you land here, GM rolls an attack roll (+10, on hit 6 damage).

Winning
Whichever team has their racer cross the finish line first wins. If more than one racer crosses in the same round, whoever made it further past the line wins.

------

I did a sort of testplay with them always boosting every 1,2,3 or 4 rounds. It feels a bit swingy where the one boosting every round got pretty lucky and got a head start early with good rolls, and though they got caught up to in the end, finished second. The one who boosted every 4 rounds kept getting really bad rolls. In my testplay it took me about 17 rounds to finish.

Is that too long?
Does this sound like an interesting way to do a race? Is this too dependent on luck, or is there ways the players can be creative?
Do I need more obstacles (walls to avoid?) to mix things up?
Should there be more a damage penalty for boosting?
Should you go slower than 5 if you fail on a boost?
Is this not very good design and I need to scrap this and start over?
Other feedback?

I was considering just having us play Formula D with the NPC racers all having a formula of what gear they kept on, but I felt it was weird to just play another board game as an encounter, and the gear shifting thing didn't really work thematically if they were using bugs. Though if this makes no sense, I might just do that (Mechanical bugs?). I did borrow the "gunners row" from the race city map from Formula D.

Thanks!

E:

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah I’m trying to figure out stuff like cover, using environmental hazards, differences in height. I might give best(worst)-of-two-rolls (dis)advantage for height and cover. Not sure what to do with hazards just yet.

Playing with range could work well, for things like height or even cover. Having “nearby” be asymmetric would be interesting. I guess the ranges are difficulty ratings as much as geometry, really.

Do you have specific rules you use, beyond the above?
I use a grid map in my campaign (a nice dry erase mat from Piazo actually). We just agree together on if it's a close or far movement to get somewhere. For cover, I think it I just have cover gives a -2 to attack rolls against someone in cover.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

This is reminding me of good old Jackengill, a half-orc in a 13th age wild west reskin I GMed , who talked to mechanical objects like guns.

I'm pretty sure mechanically, he was really able to talk to those objects. I think at first I think I tried to leave it pretty vague, and I don't think any of the other characters believed it. ("I ask the water pump which way is (whatever objective it was, I forget). "North". meanwhile inside contact tells them to go North Jackengill: "Ha! Told ya").
He was also really into guns' rights. (The apostrophe isn't a typo. The rights of the guns was important to him. :) )

He was an odd fellow. :)

And yeah, from what I've heard here of that podcast, it does seem a bad representation of Autism, though I admit to not having more info than the descriptions.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

It does help that in 13a, your magic sword does talk back. Kinda.

I'm using this in my next game. It's not even fantasy, I don't care.

crap. I want this.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I was very tempted to buy the Glorantha book at my local game store, since it looked neat with new monsters and classes. Though I'm not currently in any group, since 2/3 my last one had to move away, and the last person got busy.

I keep thinking I'd like to GM or play again. Though I don't have any concrete ideas of setting to make a thread here.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Arrrthritis posted:

Man, so I'm playing in a campaign that allows for Glorantha classes, and I think playing a Duck Trickster is the most fun i've ever had with this system.

Does the Glorantha book work well with just using the base game with the new classes? Does it require houseruling adjustments, or can they just pop into a regular 13th age campaign no problem?

My impression flipping through the book was it has quite a bit different mechanics from 13th age.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Selachian posted:

Swiped from Enworld:

Has anyone verified this? Who is this discord user? An employee of PP? I havn't heard of them before, and it just seems like a random person.

Escalation Edition was the name of a limited edition release of the original 13th age. That's all I find googling "13th age escalation edition". I don't see any confirmation (only speculation from about a year ago from "13th age 2nd edition". There's nothing on the Pelgrane press website. I think this is a hoax.
combinations of "Gencon" "13th age" "2nd Edition" in different combinations turns up nothing.

E: I found the enworld forum post, the only thing I could find mentioning it. There's an image, of a card signed by Rob Heinso, but it looks like it could be a shop.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 8, 2022

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Gareth Hanrahan tweeted it, so there's that.

Oh. then maybe it's not a hoax. I just find it weird the only place I can find talking about it is the en-world forum post,m though it's right after Gencon, so maybe that's why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

same, though something that helped for me was just putting it to my players. When they made an icon roll I asked them what they think that looked like. I felt like the players had a better handle on what their positive or negative relations to the icons meant, though that doesn't work for all players.