Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Just getting caught up on the 13th Age ecosystem. (I hadn't really thought about the game since it launched, but I just heard about 13th Agency for the first time.)

Has anybody put the tactical grid back into an Archmage Engine game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Fair. It's just rattling around in my head, as so many complaints about 4E D&D seem to be solved by 13th Age, and then there's no grid. You'd obviously have to rework every power, etc., but I'll wade through the back posts. Thank you!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
13th Agency is, apparently, d20 Modern / Spycraft but in the Archmage Engine. I heard a rumor that Cam Banks and Dave Chalker are doing it as a side project when they're not, you know, launching Sentinel Comics and Cortex Prime.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I don't know, I just heard about it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
So 13th Age has just become a contender for my next campaign, which I was not expecting.

I have the core book, read it ages ago. Happy to buy more as necessary.

What's the current state of the game? What's the consensus on needed house rules or rules tweaks or whatever?

I don't love the D&D ability stat spread, but I saw a DTAS mod on the Vault. I also don't love racial ability scores, but I assume the DTAS mod would solve that problem?

It sounds like Martials and Druids aren't great - any good fixes? Awesome homebrew classes? What do I need to know to get up to speed? My group is a wee bit fragile and I'd love to score a win right now.

Thanks kindly!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm fine with tweaking Icons to make them less of an improv-hassle. Thanks for the advice.

If I keep the ability scores (which I'm sure is fine), I assume nothing breaks if I just let players get a +2 in anything instead of telling them that Gnomes have to take it in Int/Dex, etc.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just make sure they can't double up that +2 with the one from their class and that should be fine.

Even if they did, 13th Age sets it up so having a good spread of scores will do you more good, as long as your main attack score is reasonably high.

That's fine. I'm fine with saying "Rogues get +2 Dex or Cha, and then get +2 to something else (which can be the other half of Dex/Cha".

Thank you all. I can live with ability scores, but no species requirement for classes, massage Icon rules, and I have a list of good classes to be.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
That is some fantastic stuff. Thank you.

If I wanted to run 1-10, and I wanted to run Eyes of the Stone Thief, how have you all wrapped Eyes of the Stone Thief in other material? What did the players do from 1-3 (if the GM knew they wanted to run EotST), and how did you foreshadow 8-10?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
How do double-strength and triple-strength enemies feel in play? They don't appear to gain any extra actions, so my instinct is that they'll crumble a little faster since they're disadvantaged in the action economy. My instincts have been wrong before.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
"Is staggered" is a status, "becomes staggered" is a trigger, yeah?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Looking at your most powerful Champion or Epic character, how many of their feats are applied to Talents and Class Features, and how many of their feats are applied to Powers/Abilities/Spells?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Oooh... Thank you very much. My group is in a Stone Thief prelude (level 2), and I'm currently working on setting up all the foreshadowing I need in case I want to continue post level 8 Stone Thief. This is delightful.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I didn't even know that existed and now I wants one.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Wait wait wait.

Pirates of Drinax and Eyes of the Stone Thief are by the same person?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

fosborb posted:

time to learn traveler and I guess post in a different thread for the next few years

:emptyquote:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I'm curious how much they're rewriting. If they're tweaking some classes and some Icon rules, adding some advice here or there, etc., there might be enough body text written by Tweet that his name has to go on the cover regardless. I don't know how those things work, but it's possible revising the text with Tweet is way, way less work/cost than rewriting everything he touched.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

waderockett posted:

The game is designed so that all you need is the core book. The adventure Crown of Axis—which I wrote—is designed specifically to be an intro to the game. It has lots of GM guidance in it, and shows off the mechanics that make the game distinctive. For example, you might have heard people talk about using icons during play and the adventure has several instances of "A PC who has an icon advantage with [ICON] could spend it to do [THING] here." It has the advantage of being the most recent adventure published so it takes advantage of the stuff we learned about designing for the system over the years.

https://pelgranepress.com/product/crown-of-axis/

Thanks for writing that, by the way. My players are about a session away from entering the Eyes of the Stone Thief for the first time rescue Orna.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Night10194 posted:

I love that even in that they admit they can't figure out anything to have the rogue do.

The rogue is the saddest thing in 13A.

Honestly, I feel like Martin Killman's "what if rogues were Hawkeye" approach could flesh out regular 13th Age rogues a lot.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
My new-to-RPGs player on his first mook overkill described it "as I smash his face with my dwarven hammer, a tooth goes flying like a bullet" and I knew we had a winner.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Has anybody run Eyes of the Stone Thief with another system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
12 Icons in 13th Age is a weird choice.