Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
should we mention the free adventures that are out for 13th age?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
(PP link) http://pelgranepress.com/site/?p=12301

(sign up form)
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Cj6P7Wpd0X9l0t4RtOXavruLk5ICAMr-QuPvJXF39yQ/viewform

Callled Tales of the 13th Age:
They list..
Crown of the Lich King
Wyrd of the Wild Wood
Quest in the Cathedral
Shadow Port Shuffle
Wrath of the Orc Lord
Elf Queen’s Enchantment
Folding of Screamhaunt Castle

and more

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Hey Wade, if you guys are adding more 13th age events at GenCon, do you still need GM's?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I was thinking something like this for Monk:

Note: This is just wild off the wall stuff I've pulled from my tuckus.

Pick a Descriptor.

Air: Air-Style Monks use Dexterity as their key stat. They are flexible and tend to string together small attacks, chipping away at the opponent while dodging the opponent's retribution. Air Monks generally use unarmed attacks (d6 damage base, but get a bonus to defensive abilities).

Earth: Earth-style monks use Constitution as their key stat. They are solid and tend to absorb blows, shrugging off damage and then returning the favor with a massive strike. They generally use solid weapons like staves, staffs and the like. (D10 damage to start, but the least amount of flexibility, the powers they have are more focused on absorbing damage, with only their dailies providing offensive flexibility

Fire: Fire-style monks use Strength as their key stat. They are generally fierce fighters, striving for bodily perfection more than spiritual enlightenment. in battle they tend to strike furiously at a target, only moving to a new target once the current one has been defeated. They generally used paired weapons such as chains or butterfly swords. (d8 damage, but a huge amount of flexibility with powers.. but need to make a Normal save to disengage from a target before it's been defeated)

Jade (or Void): Jade/Void Style Monks use Wisdom as their key stat. Jade/Void Monks are the antithesis of the Fire-style.. where the Fire-style monk attempts to overwhelm the target, the Jade/Void Monk attempts to redirect the target into a disadvantageous position. They have been known to use Ki attacks to redirect their opponents chi. (d6 damage, but can use abilities to boost allies, or hinder opponents. One ability I was thinking, "Divert the Raging River" is a daily that turns the escalation die into a penalty for one target as long as they continue to strike each turn (Continually redirecting the opponent's chi to keep them from recovering their equilibrium). Their at-wills are like the Chaos Mage (they get a random at-will form depending on a die roll), the situation shapes the Jade/Void Monk's response.

Water: Water monks are generally more bookish, nearly scholar like as they seek to gain and use knowledge to change the world. They use Intelligence as their key stat. One of their abilities is a Fail Forward style way to move the plot. "Ah yes, Master Song told me about the Wizzywig. They are fierce guardians, but go into a torpor after eating meat. So all we need to do is to feed it a sheep, and we'll be able to sneak into the wizard's tower while it sleeps off the meal." They use esoteric weapons like the scholar's fan, and the nine-ringed staff. They are generalists in combat

Make a ton of forms, with at least two at-wills and one daily being exclusive to each type of monk.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Here's what I've come up with so far for the Earth Monk. Still need to do: 2 or so Epic Talents, and some forms (thinking of making forms available to all monks, and affinity steps up the ability)

Talents:

Earth:

Adventurer: Strength of the Earth

Their attacks do not disturb you, for they are but the howling wind, and you the immovable mountain

You recover using d10's instead of d8's for your recovery dice

Adventurer Feat: +1 Recovery
Champion Feat: When you Make a recovery, you may make a fresh save against a Save Ends Effect
Epic Feat: You use d12's for your recovery, and add +1 to your PD

Adventurer: Strike with Earth's Focus

You may take three hits for each one that you give,.. but then again, one is all you need.

Once per battle, before you roll an attack, declare you're using Strike with Focus. You gain +2 to hit for this turn only, and do an additional d4 per level damage.

Adventurer Feat: The opponent must make a normal save or be dazed (suffers a -2 to attack until a normal save is made)
Champion Feat: You may use Strike With Focus twice a day
Epic Feat:The save to avoid being dazed is now a hard save, and the attack does d6 damage per level instead of d4.

Adventurer: The Mountain Does Not Crumble

Their Fury is spent, and still you stand.

Once per battle, you may take a quick action to rally instead of a standard action

Adventurer Feat: Once per battle, re-roll a failed save attempt to make a rally.
Champion Feat: This ability (and the adventurer feat) resets itself after you roll a natural 20 in combat
Epic Feat: When you roll a natural 20 in combat, you gain an extra recovery.

Champion: Stoneskin

Your skin has absorbed the vitality of the earth.

Once per day as a quick action, you gain a +2 bonus to Physical Defense until the end of the battle

Champion Feat: You gain a +2 to both PD AND AC while Stoneskin is active
Epic Feat: Once per day, while Stoneskin is active, you may make a easy save (6+) against any attack that targets PD or AC. On a successful save, you take half damage

Champion: Earthmeld

You have discovered a true affinity with the earth. With focus, you shift yourself through the earth to a different location.

Once per battle, you may activate this talent to disengage from any number of enemies and reappear in a different location.

Champion Feat: When using this ability, roll a normal save (11+), if successful, the use of this ability is a quick action and you may immediately take another action.
Epic Feat: This ability is a quick action, and any opponents that you engage using this ability are at a -4 AC until the end of your next turn.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 22, 2014

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Probably the just released "Book of Loot" (Preorder+PDF)

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
picked up my books at GenCon already had 13TW and Beastiary, picked up the book of Epic Loot and Shadows of Eldolan (already ordered, so just a matter of giving em my order number and ID)

Amazing how one full year of 13th age ended with a bang... makes me wonder what year 2 has in store.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I can say this.

The trickster class? I want to play it myself.

I don't want to GM it ever.

Three talents to start, but after EVERY FULL HEAL UP, you lose one and gain another one.

Yes, it's random which one you lose, and which you gain.

And they do horrible twisty things to fate and karma, for example, if one of your allies rolls a 1-3 on attack roll or save, you can take a 1 on your next roll or do something impressively dumb, like running full tilt into a stone wall, to have them reroll the attack or save.

Then there's this talent:

Dumb Dumb
Once per battle when an enemy misses you with a melee attack or close-quarters attack, you can have the enemy immediately reroll the attack as if it had been its own target instead of you. When you use this power, you become vulnerable to all other attacks for one round (usually the end of that enemy’s next turn).

Adventurer Feat: The enemy is now also vulnerable until the end of its next turn. It might even crit itself.
Champion Feat: Now you can also use Dumb Dumb against an enemy’s ranged attack.
Epic Feat: You’re no longer vulnerable after using this power.

I can imagine being the GM who has to figure out how a Dragon breath hurts the dragon, but not you.

It's not a happy feeling.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
just to follow up on last month's kerfluffle, Wade has now made a post on Twitter that makes it clear that Jonathan Tweet has nothing to do with 13th age/Pelgrane Press now (including does not receive royalties)

https://twitter.com/13thAge/status/1145801713292460033

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
re:Tweet's tweets:

Seeing he was back went from buy to no-buy in 2.8 seconds (a personal best for 2022)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
"In a weird twist, Pelgrane says however, they weren't working with him in the past, and they won't work with him in the future, but because he co-wrote the first edition and Rob felt he needs Jonathan's help to re-write this. "

I guess it's more of "We're working with Rob, and HE's the one working with Jonathan, so technically we're not working with Jonathan".