Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Sorry to hear that - it doesn't sound fun at all. You could perhaps contact Pelgrane and let them know. I have no idea how they'd respond, but they do want people actually, you know, having fun at their games.

Also, having run games for them - they straight up give you the adventure and pregen characters. So if said GM was running through Pelgrane's GM program they tossed those pregen characters to give you the level 2 ones. Which would be both weird and dickish.

I had a good game (The Folding of Screamhaunt Castle) myself. In general 13th Age isn't about grind adventures at all - none of the other scenarios I've played or run are written that way.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

xiw posted:

Man I never even thought of just emailing them and asking for adventures to run at conventions, I'm figuring out what to run next year so i'll just do that

I recommend it! I've run games for ArcDream (Delta Green, a couple years back) and Pelgrane Press. Both are great to work with.

Specific to Pelgrane Press: if you're in town on Wednesday evening, there's a little GM orientation event where you get to meet the authors and get some advice on running con games. You also tend to get some swag - stuff like a T-shirt and a little signed booklet in addition to the adventure and pregens. They're happy to have you running games and try to make it as easy as possible.

They do recruiting way back in February-March since GenCon events go up early. But some GMs drop out and Pelgrane Press are often looking for people to run those games at the last minute, too.

I picked up 13th Age Glorantha at the con - I am curious if anyone in the thread has experience or comments on it. The classes seem considerably more involved than the corebook or 13 True Ways from my first read through, and more targeted for experienced 13th Age players.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 6, 2019

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Thanks for the feedback! That squares with my first reading. I'll be running the game for just the second time and my players are new to it (though familiar with d20 principles). So I think I'll start by sticking with the core classes and wait for now on the Glorantha material. I was especially curious about the Trickster and how it goes at the table, so that's useful.

I'm also just getting into the Glorantha lore myself, so it sounds like it's worth taking the time to absorb that in order to explain it well.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Yeah. I think Chaosium is in the lead on that. They were the ones selling 13th Age Glorantha at GenCon. While there's some kind of partnership, Pelgrane didn't have any for sale at their booth.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Mystic Mongol posted:

If you really enjoy character generation, you can make simpler versions of the same characters to give your players more choices.

(Also multiclassing in 13A sucks butt)

I am just getting into 13th Age and haven't made a multiclass character or had a player do so. What don't you like about it?

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Another vampire themed game, Night's Black Agents, has the same idea. Characters are highly competent burned spies, so they get to pick a skill that they can automatically succeed at once per session.

I think that's about as much mechanical weight as you need for the idea - just let players pick a skill/roll/check that they get one free success at, per session. It's a fun idea and I feel like it could be a cool pay-off for icon relationship dice as well.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Mar 4, 2021

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Yeah - it was worth it for me long before the $25 voucher. Pretty amazing bundle; it's only missing a few things like Shards of the Broken Sky from the whole 13th Age line.

I'm stoked for the Icon "awesome adventures and maps" as well - I'm just getting into Foundry VTT and more maps will be handy.

Has anyone played or run those adventures/encounters?

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

canepazzo posted:

What's a good print product on their store to spend the voucher on?

This is hard to answer without knowing what you already have or would be interested in.

The Iconic podcast does fairly in depth reviews of the different books, if there's a couple you'd like to know more about.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

The big one that's missing I noticed is 13th Age in Glorantha - which is a great book imo

It is. Unfortunately it's out of stock at Pelgrane, which means no dice for the coupon.

canepazzo posted:

Duh, I should have probably mentioned that. I have the corebook and nothing else in print; mostly I'm wondering if anything is missing from the bundle that might be worth getting in print, or even if any of the books in the bundle are good enough / pleasant to read / to look at that merit a print version.

I really like 13 True Ways and the Bestiary; they're fun to just flip through. Some of the books missing from the bundle are the Book of the Underworld, Elven Towers, and Shards of the Broken Sky. The value depends on what you like to have in print - classes? Monsters? Whole campaigns?

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

canepazzo posted:

Thanks again! I ended up getting the GM screen and the Book of the Underworld (as the order must be over 35 dollars without counting shipping). The adventures I generally am fine (or even prefer) having in PDF for ease of navigation.

You're very welcome. I think those are great choices, and the GM Screen + book and map that come with it are really useful.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

fosborb posted:

it was the third hokage vs orochimaru fight

:negative:

it was always going to be the third hokage vs orochimaru fight

if you players didn't notice (or didn't care), you're good.

Thanks for these write-ups. I'm setting my player's level 2 characters up for the Stone Thief and your write ups have been inspiring and a ton of fun to read. Congrats on finishing such a long campaign and sticking the landing.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
That sounds awesome. I've played Microscope before and really like its structure, but it had never occurred to me to use it for the campaign ending and aftermath. I will probably steal that idea for the future.

I have an encounter type question.

My players are mostly servants of the Priestess and thus in conflict with the Crusader. The recurring antagonist, a servant of the Crusader, met with them directly to tell them they have a demon problem in Santa Cora. (This is true.) She offered to help them root it out and, much to my surprise, they accepted the offer, partly to keep an eye on her.

Any thoughts on building an encounter with a powerful (+4 levels to the PCs) NPC along for the ride?

That was a neat and unexpected development, so I'd rather make it so there's a benefit but keep some challenge in the encounter. Storywise, the Crusader NPC will of course bind any demons she defeats.

PCs are level 2 with a couple incremental advances - Cleric, Fighter, Rogue. The Crusader NPC is one of the Ebon Hand casters from Bestiary 2, level 6.
I was going to keep a powerful but simple attack for her and add in a few more mooks and another interesting demon - but I was curious if anyone else had fun ideas for this setup. It's also their last fight before a full heal so I can be a bit more mean.

Next battle was going to be an imp, the frog demon from the Book of Demons, and a set of dretches. I'm thinking of upgrading the frog demon to something more potent.

The one after that is with the demon cult leader - the Hellmarsh cleric, a set of Hellmarsh cultists, and a despoiler demon. (We'll see if the NPC tags along for that one, depending on how the first one goes.)

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
That sounds perfect, thanks. I was staying away from the summoning abilities for level 2 characters but that's a really fun way to do it.

The demon cult is running a fake healing church as their cover, so the Crusader servant would absolutely want to put down those already "treated" but still recovering. That should be a nice ethical sticking point between them.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, I've been wanting a new edition for several ages now, but... having Tweet on the project makes me want to not buy it (the fact that Drakkenhall was honestly pretty bad didn't help).

What was disappointing about Drakkenhall?

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, a number of things. The complaints I remember having were:
  • Building on that, the book never really deals with the idea that maybe "monsters" are just a kind of people. It pretty much just takes it for granted that monsters are evil and want to eat you, so Drakkenhall never really feels like a legitimate community, just a very large dungeon that the Empire allows to exist for some reason.
  • A lot of the writing is just immature and bad. At one point it mentions that the Blue sponsors public entertainments, but that people who suggest that she does this in order to pacify the citizens tend to be mysteriously murdered in the street. The writer appears to think that this is a deeply sinister machination on the Blue's part rather than Governance 101 followed up by a ridiculous act of petty vengeance.

This is a shame! I can build on the 13 True Ways plot hooks myself and I can have a lot of fun picturing how monsters work in a society. I might still check out the pdf but I was really hoping for some interesting ideas in these areas.

re: the possible Escalated Edition:
It seems pretty weird that they mentioned others by name (like Lee Moyer) but not Tweet in the image from GenCon. I signed up for the playtest - if nothing else I think that will let me know who wrote what.

If nothing else, the 13th Age GenCon panels have been recorded and posted as podcasts in the past and that may happen again.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 10, 2022

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
Latest word on Tweet's involvement. This is from the #13th_age channel of the Pelgrane Press discord.

From Cat Tobin:

quote:

Cat (she/her):
In response to your questions, we did say in 2019 that we were weren't working with Jonathan Tweet, and we have not been. However, Jonathan is working with Rob on 13th Age 2nd Edition. He's just working on the core book, and only because he co-wrote it originally, and Rob felt he couldn't re-write it by himself. We will not be working with him on anything else.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I'm not sure either. I assume Jonathan Tweet is still involved, which isn't great. And a lot of the 2e Playtest stuff never got sent out, right? I didn't just miss it?

Given that, I'd expect a pretty long timeline before fulfillment. I like 13th Age a lot and didn't expect to be so lukewarm at the thought of 2e but neither aspect is exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I appreciate the in depth write up from the last page. I can't say I'm too fired up about it, between keeping Tweet on board and some of the weird choices. I don't like the barbarian changes from the sound of them, though I'll have to read through myself. The barbarian was good for less rules invested players and sounds more fiddly now without being any more flavorful.

I'll probably try the playtest documents, but when I think about my RPG budget I'm a lot more excited for other stuff than this new edition.

Plus.. 13th Age Glorantha took a long time to come out, didn't it? And the playtest documents stalled way behind their timeline. I imagine it will be quite a while before the books really come out.

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's much easier to roll for a random icon out of 12 if you need to.

Also the whole idea of orcs in fantasy settings is being reevaluated. I kinda feel like it would have been a good opportunity to scratch half-orcs and make a playable orc kin, too, not that anything keeps me from striking out "half-" in my games.

I liked the idea of having the Orc Lord since it meant the orcs had more agency and maybe more concrete goals in the setting. The Orc Lord gave a face to the generally faceless horde. So while the Orc Lord wasn't my favorite icon, I'm sorry to see him go for that reason. I'll keep him in my games, it's not an issue at all, but the justification of "we didn't know what to do with him so we figured no one else did either" is odd.

Sionak fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 9, 2024