Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Candles and some poetry at the end doesn't make it all artfully executed.

"Oh hey Doc Frank, what a nice coincidence you came out that room! Care to join us for the final battle now that you've become an expert pistoleer in your spare time? I doesn't matter anyway since the villain is just gonna dip out."

This was a rush job, pure and simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I kinda liked the ending. It certainly felt rushed, but at least we got an ending.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Beats nothing I suppose. And there were good parts. But it really bugs me they're pretending this was all planned.

I'm gonna miss Sir Malcolm. :(

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm just glad it wasn't a cliffhanger then canceled.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

CubanMissile posted:

Candles and some poetry at the end doesn't make it all artfully executed.

"Oh hey Doc Frank, what a nice coincidence you came out that room! Care to join us for the final battle now that you've become an expert pistoleer in your spare time? I doesn't matter anyway since the villain is just gonna dip out."

This was a rush job, pure and simple.

Enh. There's some baby going out with your bathwater there. I thought Brona and Dorian got decent enough endings (although her 180 was pretty freaking abrupt) and that Dorian's final framing was artful. It had its moments and it all *looked* very pretty. It was full of artistic flourishes which were nice, which was all I meant by that. Unfortunately, the plot itself felt a lot more LOST/BSG than it did a show ending gracefully in the way it'd always intended to end.

My biggest problem with Vanessa's ending is that that ending was there for them in Season One with the possession episode, as has been pointed out by other folks. It wasn't right then and nothing about her arc over Seasons Two and Three changed anything to make it right at the series' end. They're talking out the side of their mouths saying that was the way it was always meant to go.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Memnaelar posted:

My biggest problem with Vanessa's ending is that that ending was there for them in Season One with the possession episode, as has been pointed out by other folks. It wasn't right then and nothing about her arc over Seasons Two and Three changed anything to make it right at the series' end. They're talking out the side of their mouths saying that was the way it was always meant to go.

I agree. The idea that this was planned before Season Two was done just doesn't sit right, as there's a distinct feeling that the first half of Season 3 was setting up stuff for future seasons - Dr. Jekyll, Lyle going to Egypt (to bring back a mummy I'm sure), the new redhead vampire hunter lady or whatever. Think of it this way, we saw Dr. Jekyll's infamous serum making a raving lunatic into his best self, but shouldn't there be a part where it also turn that lunatic into his worse self? Something even worse than he was before the procedure?

Plus if this is your final Season, why spend so much time with Ethan's trip to the Old West and Frankenstein's monster tracking down his past life? Why have an entire bottle episode that's a flashback to Vanessa Ives in the sanitarium with Frankenstein's monster as her orderly?

I can only speculate that something was up with Eva Green's contract. Either she didn't want to do the show anymore, or, in my uninformed opinion, her contract was up after 3 years and she wanted either more money and/or top billing (which she richly deserved throughout) and they just couldn't do it for whatever reason.

As for John Logan playing nice with Showtime, I never bothered looking him up before tonight, didn't realize that he's been a professional screenwriter with some very impressive credits for 2 decades. Dude's a pro through-and-through, and knows that you don't poo poo talk and burn bridges. If Showtime decided the show needed to end whether due to its current budget being unsustainable or concern that the show could not continue without Eve Green, then he's allowing Showtime off the hook gracefully and in return he already has another project lined up with them.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
One of the worst show endings I've seen in years, possibly of all time---very nearly makes me regret having started the series in the first place if this is being bandied about as the grand vision for it all the while. You could probably equal the finale run time going down the list of flat out broken plot points, character arcs, plot disconnects, etc---I'm back to not trusting in Showtime and apparently any future works of this Logan fellow by default when it comes to a plot/mythos heavy series of any stripe going forward.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ExiledTinkerer posted:

One of the worst show endings I've seen in years, possibly of all time---very nearly makes me regret having started the series in the first place if this is being bandied about as the grand vision for it all the while. You could probably equal the finale run time going down the list of flat out broken plot points, character arcs, plot disconnects, etc---I'm back to not trusting in Showtime and apparently any future works of this Logan fellow by default when it comes to a plot/mythos heavy series of any stripe going forward.

With Twin Peaks coming up next year I pray you're wrong.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Solice Kirsk posted:

With Twin Peaks coming up next year I pray you're wrong.

It kind of sounded like Lynch basically tricked them into doing what he wanted to do. If season three sucks, it's probably gonna be his doing.

And More fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 21, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's only the one season they are doing for Twin Peaks right? I kinda hope it doesn't launch into a whole new series.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's only the one season they are doing for Twin Peaks right? I kinda hope it doesn't launch into a whole new series.

Yeah, unless something changed, Lynch and Frost intend to wrap things up. I doubt they could keep such a great cast around for much longer than that, anyway.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

GreenNight posted:

I'm just glad it wasn't a cliffhanger then canceled.

We didn't get a cliffhanger, but you may as well consider all the loving loose threads they started far worse.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
You know, I couldn't help but think about how Eva's death scene reminded me of the terrible death scene for Jean Grey in X-Men 3. I'm aware some in here might not have seen that particular pile of dogshit (and seriously, don't), but what upset me wasn't that the scene reminded me of it, but that that terrible scene in that terrible movie actually had more gravitas to it than the one we got...

Observe (and I'm sorry): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgu2RCLUr-s

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I also didn't realize there were two episodes the other night and I only watched one. Now I kind of don't want to watch the finale and just stick with a forever cliffhanger.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Lots of Seven Stages of Grief Penny Dreadful postings on my FB feed right now. Not really sure when the Acceptance part will kick in.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Having now watched the episodes, it was really good until the final battle. Then everything just went down the drain. Vanessa's death was especially terrible. It felt so out of character for her. Giving up seemed like the one thing she would have never done. All her victories from previous seasons, and all the progress she had made by coming out of her depression this season, and then she just gives up? :(

Memnaelar posted:

Lots of Seven Stages of Grief Penny Dreadful postings on my FB feed right now. Not really sure when the Acceptance part will kick in.

The grief is very real. I'm already wondering whether I should pretend that season three doesn't exist.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

And More posted:

Having now watched the episodes, it was really good until the final battle. Then everything just went down the drain. Vanessa's death was especially terrible. It felt so out of character for her. Giving up seemed like the one thing she would have never done. All her victories from previous seasons, and all the progress she had made by coming out of her depression this season, and then she just gives up? :(

I was hoping she was playing Dracula the whole time. Without any kind of twist, the real point where this all fell apart was the 3rd from the last episode.

She goes to the museum intending to kill Dracula, and then in the span of like two minutes completely gives up and agrees to bring darkness over the whole world because he says he can accept her for the hosed up creature she is. That's all it took? If only Mina had known how easily she could have turned her.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

She was also alone and sick of fighting. Just the right words at the right time tipped her over. Same could of happened with Ethan if he and Hecate hadn't been stuck in the desert....or if the magic wielding Satan witch didn't get shot once and die.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

She goes to the museum intending to kill Dracula, and then in the span of like two minutes completely gives up and agrees to bring darkness over the whole world because he says he can accept her for the hosed up creature she is. That's all it took? If only Mina had known how easily she could have turned her.

"Join me, Anakin."

"No, you're evil!"

"*Join me*, Anakin!"

"Okay..."

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
"So Vanessa kneels before monster mash and pledges her loyalty to the graveyard smash."

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
I wouldn't have minded the final episode if it wasn't so lazy. What kind of master strategist is scared of Ethan reaching Vanessa, then fights literally every cast member except Ethan while Vanessa is in a different room.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 22, 2016

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Would have been nice to at least see Kaetenay in wolf form take on Dracula instead of everything being off screen. Still laughing about Frankenstein just appearing before the final battle despite having no interaction with any of those characters the entire season.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Jack of Hearts posted:

"So Vanessa kneels before monster mash and pledges her loyalty to the graveyard smash."

I lolled

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

CubanMissile posted:

It was established very early this season that he got very good at shooting up.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I got the impression during the fight that Doctor F was shooting with more enthusiasm than skill, which is why he switched to the pipe once he ran out of bullets :shrug:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

PostNouveau posted:

I was hoping she was playing Dracula the whole time. Without any kind of twist, the real point where this all fell apart was the 3rd from the last episode.

I figure, doubt is pretty central to Vanessa's character. Her strongly entertaining the notion of letting the whole world burn is not exactly unexpected. When the entire extended family showed up to save her, she should have reconsidered, though.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

CubanMissile posted:

Weren't all the attackers pretty much point blank range? Did I miss him doing trick shots or something?

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

ExiledTinkerer posted:

One of the worst show endings I've seen in years, possibly of all time---very nearly makes me regret having started the series in the first place

I didn't like Vanessa's death either, but this is exactly the sort of comical exaggeration I always hope for from the TVIV. The only thing worst than this ending was your posts.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Just saw the last two episodes, and I can definitely believe they are the result of some behind-closed-doors shenanigans. It's a shame.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm a little surprised everyone is so down on the ending to be honest. I just watched it again and changed my point of view from "at least it's an ending" to "it's pretty OK." Sure the last 20 minutes or so felt rushed, but it did at least follow internal show logic. Vanessa dying was something I expected since the end of season 1 and Ethan being the one to do it has basically been foreshadowed since the second season. Do I wish we had another season to have dragged out the tension, absolutely. But what we got was OK and I'm happy with it. It's certainly a better finale than Deadwood got.

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

I liked Vanessa's death scene. It made me think of a bathroom suicide. The tiles, the candles. A last kiss and a prayer. Trying to go out on your own terms as much as possible, but most of all trying to go out.
It had the kind of bitter-sweetness that's almost exclusively bitter that defines Vanessa's story through out the series.
9/10 Would cry again.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
The more I think about it the less satisfied I am. Man, even when Rome got cancelled unexpectedly the writers managed to cobble together the loose plot threads into a more coherent ending than this.

Such cool ideas and cool characters, such a failure of a conclusion.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

FourLeaf posted:

The more I think about it the less satisfied I am. Man, even when Rome got cancelled unexpectedly the writers managed to cobble together the loose plot threads into a more coherent ending than this.

Such cool ideas and cool characters, such a failure of a conclusion.

Yeah, I guess my main problem here is that only Vanessa gets any kind of closure.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Could of went the Sopranos direction and give no plot threads a conclusion.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I was most bummed for John Clairiban and most disappointed in his ending. Dude had made a real connection and friend in Vanessa, she gave him the confidence to feel he could be loved again by his family, he reconnects with and becomes loved by said family again only to have his son die and his wife kick him to the curb, shortly followed by finding out his only friend had died. I thought the show might throw him a bone and have him connect with the crew at Vanessa's funeral, he'd fit right in with them at this point and maybe make some new friends, but nope, gotta have him hide away from everybody and go back to being lonely monster man. gently caress, they could have even had him do the whole "proper burial" thing he said he wanted to before his wife's ultimatum and have him meet Brona/Lily at the graveyard she was at and maybe become friends with her now that they've both changed so much

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I too like to introduce three interesting characters to a series that I plan on finishing the same season.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cat was pretty, not interesting.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah I can't argue with that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, she wasn't really given much of a chance to be anything other than a 'looker,' though. Her character in "As Above, So Below" wasn't very good, but she still deserved a chance to attain some depth for herself before she got thrown out with the bathwater.

"I have a feeling the two of you will get along famously...even though you'll be dead in a few weeks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Not getting to see Lyle running out of a tomb followed by a shambling mummy is the one thing I will never forgive this show for.

• Locked thread