Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

In line with the LoEG inspiration, I'm still expecting "Ethan Chandler" to be a pseudonym for Tom Sawyer or somesuch. Quick, which American folk heroes would be believable as a wolf-charmer?

I think the the LoXG comparison is being a bit overblown, that comic was reimagining public domain characters so as to fit them into a big superhero story, this is limiting itself fairly strictly to the gothic so far - more Dracula meets the Wolfman really. No reason to expect Tom Sawyer or any Martians to show up.

DecentHairJelly posted:

I must have missed that she was Irish since I can only understand about 60% of what she says. I just assumed she was a gypsy cause she talks just like Brad Pitt's character in Snatch. I guess if people watch the show with that in mind it won't be so bad maybe?

It's pretty obviously a Belfast accent though? I mean it's not great but it's clear what she's going for I don't understand why people are confused about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Just remembered this quote from a few days ago, just up this page:

Firstborn posted:

Where the hell is Van Helsing? I wish Tim Dalton was playing him.

You rang?

Memnaelar posted:

We get David Warner as Van Helsing.

We are not worthy.

Show leans back, looks smug as gently caress.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Also, I really like the main title music for this show, and how the theme is echoed a bit in the incidental music. It's really pretty. Wouldn't mind owning Penny Dreadful: The Soundtrack.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I hope Dorian Grey beds every character by the end of the series. :allears:

HEVampersand
Apr 2, 2005

Do you even own a toothbrush?
I was so disappointed to have all those scenes flash before Ethan's eyes only for him to kiss Dorian. I was hoping for more of a definitive 'he's a werewolf/he's having PTSD from slaughtering Indians/he's seen the handywork of a supernatural before meeting Sir Malcom'. If they wanted to do the Dorian Gray sexy time thing, they didn't need to build up the tension from the rat-killing dog and the shock of being slapped by Brona.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Liked this episode much better than the previous. Also, is it just me or was there a nice little touch with Ethan wiping blood from what appears to be a cut only for there to be no cut left?

Cat scene cracked me up. So abrupt, so efficient.

TheMopeSquad posted:

Never drink absinthe with Dorian Gray.

I'm not sure how I feel about this scene. The inclusion of the absynthe makes it a little uncomfortably close to getting someone drunk and taking advantage of them. Dorian gives me a very Lord Byron feel, so he swings every way where there's a hole, presumably, but I'm not so sure about Ethan. I guess it helps that he's making the moves though!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I kind of have a feeling that being able to seduce anyone and make them desire him is one of Gray's superpowers.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

HEVampersand posted:

I was so disappointed to have all those scenes flash before Ethan's eyes only for him to kiss Dorian. I was hoping for more of a definitive 'he's a werewolf/he's having PTSD from slaughtering Indians/he's seen the handywork of a supernatural before meeting Sir Malcom'. If they wanted to do the Dorian Gray sexy time thing, they didn't need to build up the tension from the rat-killing dog and the shock of being slapped by Brona.

I dunno, the blood transfusion scene "Trust me" was a pretty big red flag if the zoo scene last episode with the wolves wasn't enough.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Flesh Forge posted:

I dunno, the blood transfusion scene "Trust me" was a pretty big red flag if the zoo scene last episode with the wolves wasn't enough.

It's so obvious it's practically flashing on the screen in giant letters.

I love the i09 reviews of the episodes that refer to Ethan as "totally normal human male."

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Well maybe Ethan is a totally normal human male. Maybe he learned all this wolf stuff because he was friendly to the Native American tribes back in the US so they taught him things and ... I dunno, I give up. He has to be a werewolf or something.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Wiggy Marie posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about this scene. The inclusion of the absynthe makes it a little uncomfortably close to getting someone drunk and taking advantage of them.

I'm pretty sure that's the point. Dorian Gray is not a good person. In the original novella he pretty much goes around destroying one person's life after another.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I think there are way, way too many clues that Ethan *is* our American Werewolf in London for me to actually buy into the fact that he is.

He clearly knows *something* is up with his blood, given the transfusion scene. He also seems to know that he can calm the wolves or at least not freak them out. But he doesn't have any reaction (aside from a few chuckles) to the werewolf show at the Grand Guignol which is telling to me because you'd think it'd bother/annoy him if he's also suspecting that the little pantomime on stage is pretty much exactly he's doing at night to the local ladies. I'm not sure what explains his weird reaction to the ratcatcher dog; maybe that's closer to reality than the stage play.

I don't know; perhaps I'm reading more into it than I should and it'll all end in him being a werewolf the way they're pretty much shouting he is, but I could totally see it twisting and Ethan's story being something altogether different, like being a Jekyll/Hyde creature or something of the like.

Way off-base? Totally just a werewolf?

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Is there anything at all sympathetic about Caliban at this point? I kind of want Frankenstein to just get the League to come help him kill the whiny overly dramatic rear end in a top hat and have done with it. The people at the theater hate you because you're a pretentious douchebag Caliban, not because you've got a scar on the side of your face.

Shelly's Frankenstein works because we sympathize with the monster and it's desires. Caliban doesn't because he's a vindictive murdering fuckhead who hasn't had it that bad all things considered and can't decide if he's a poor misunderstood creation or the single greatest thing in the universe.

Calico Noose fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 3, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

He's an Elliot Rodger analogue, a bit ahead of his time.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Mouse Dresser posted:

I love the i09 reviews of the episodes that refer to Ethan as "totally normal human male."
Thank you for mentioning these. I've spent all morning at work reading these recaps while I'm backing up files and they're hilarious. I can't wait to see the recap for episode 5, it's so different than the rest of the season has been so far and answers so many questions, I'm dying for everyone else to see it too.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

eriktown posted:

I kind of have a feeling that being able to seduce anyone and make them desire him is one of Gray's superpowers.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the point. Dorian Gray is not a good person. In the original novella he pretty much goes around destroying one person's life after another.

Good points.

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Thank you for mentioning these. I've spent all morning at work reading these recaps while I'm backing up files and they're hilarious. I can't wait to see the recap for episode 5, it's so different than the rest of the season has been so far and answers so many questions, I'm dying for everyone else to see it too.

Tease!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Calico Noose posted:

Is there anything at all sympathetic about Caliban at this point? I kind of want Frankenstein to just get the League to come help him kill the whiny overly dramatic rear end in a top hat and have done with it. The people at the theater hate you because you're a pretentious douchebag Caliban, not because you've got a scar on the side of your face.

Shelly's Frankenstein works because we sympathize with the monster and it's desires. Caliban doesn't because he's a vindictive murdering fuckhead who hasn't had it that bad all things considered and can't decide if he's a poor misunderstood creation or the single greatest thing in the universe.

The nightmarish way he was brought to life and then completely abandoned by the person responsible without any explanation, comfort or concern makes me pretty sympathetic towards him. He's a dickhead for killing Proteus, but I can understand why he feels the way he does towards Dr F and humanity.

I assume he went through a lot more poo poo like the original Frankenstein and had much more hardship than that brief montage at the end of his story showed, and I give him a pass on his overdramatic stuff cuz he learned everything he knows from poetry books and his first real socialization is with theater people.

Anyway, I was bummed to see the Renfield kid killed already, I liked that little creep.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I will admit, Josh Hartnett as definitely grown on me. He's started displaying some nuance, particularly in the last episode.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
I also think it's a bit loving rich for Caliban to be playing the 'I'm so alone!' card when he just got done killing the only other creature like him in existence.

hotsoupdinner
Apr 12, 2007
eat up

eriktown posted:

Just remembered this quote from a few days ago, just up this page:

You rang?

Show leans back, looks smug as gently caress.

I read a draft of the script for the pilot. The end of that draft has Malcolm meeting and hiring Van Helsing. The Frankenstein experiment didn't even show up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Calico Noose posted:

I also think it's a bit loving rich for Caliban to be playing the 'I'm so alone!' card when he just got done killing the only other creature like him in existence.

Which he justifies as a mercy killing.

And then immediately demands Victor make another. :downs:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

He's the first reanimated man with Asperger's.

"NO NO NO MAKE ME ONE WITH BOOBIES DADDY OR I'LL BURN THE HOUSE DOWN AND KILL THE CAT"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

... that's not how Asperger's works, dude.

edit: Although I guess that's kind of hypocritical coming from a guy who just characterized it as :downs:

I'm as bad as Frankenstein!

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 4, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
This show is silly as gently caress. Eight and out.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm just saying this would have been a better show if Caliban didn't exist and episode 3 was all about Proteus quest to make 9 other friends.

Grecotch Unicycle
Oct 6, 2012

In perpetual motion sickness.
Wow, thank God I found this thread. Just started watching this a few days ago and was really surprised at how dark the whole show is without being ridiculous, and how interconnected everything is. Well put together show! Having read comments about My Gray, I think I agree with the idea he has magical "come to Butthead" powers which he uses on the normally quite frigid Ives to make her lust after him, as well as Ethan. What I find interesting though is when Ives looks over to where Gray was sitting before, noticing he's gone and just kind of going "meh" and turning her attention back to the show, suggesting to me this isn't just a passive thing, Dorian's power is very much activated on his end and it seems that he lost interest, as Dorian says to Ethan "She doesn't want to be someone else".

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Maybe Ethan didn't bat an eye because he doesn't know he is a werewolf. He doesn't remember anything when he transforms. Im glad Van Helsing showed up but its the halfway point and I hope they find him something to do, because Dalton is pretty much sitting in his chair as far as character roles and group dynamic goes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

... that's not how Asperger's works, dude.

edit: Although I guess that's kind of hypocritical coming from a guy who just characterized it as :downs:

I'm as bad as Frankenstein!

Fine, garden variety petulance.

Grecotch Unicycle posted:

Wow, thank God I found this thread. Just started watching this a few days ago and was really surprised at how dark the whole show is without being ridiculous, and how interconnected everything is. Well put together show! Having read comments about My Gray, I think I agree with the idea he has magical "come to Butthead" powers which he uses on the normally quite frigid Ives to make her lust after him, as well as Ethan. What I find interesting though is when Ives looks over to where Gray was sitting before, noticing he's gone and just kind of going "meh" and turning her attention back to the show, suggesting to me this isn't just a passive thing, Dorian's power is very much activated on his end and it seems that he lost interest, as Dorian says to Ethan "She doesn't want to be someone else".

I think Gray is another sort of vampire. I think he feeds off the energies of the living - the more 'vivacious' or aroused he makes them, the more he's able to 'eat.' Then again, there's the classical interpretation that the more depravity he gets up to, the more the portrait becomes disfigured until he snaps and stabs it, which kills him.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 4, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I dunno I think Dorian Gray is just Dorian Gray. I'm getting the impression that the show isn't going to try too terribly hard to reinvent the classic stories it's being drawn from.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Well I can't say I saw that coming. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm all for hot dudes making out. I was just really surprised.

I can't say I like Caliban. I mean, I know he's not supposed to be a likable character, what I mean is that he isn't particularly creepy or intimidating or much of anything. He just looks like an angry, greasy dude with a skin condition. I dunno.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

the kawaiiest posted:

Well I can't say I saw that coming. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm all for hot dudes making out. I was just really surprised.

I can't say I like Caliban. I mean, I know he's not supposed to be a likable character, what I mean is that he isn't particularly creepy or intimidating or much of anything. He just looks like an angry, greasy dude with a skin condition. I dunno.

So, a Real Doll customer. Dr. Frank should just spring for one of those rather than murder and then make a fantasy zombie sex slave. What ever will Caliban do when his reanimated dream girl gets fed up with his pontifical bullshit and just wants to smoke weed and eat nachos?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Come on, nobody's going to need to get murdered for that. As a bonus the horrible Irish accent will go away

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

Come on, nobody's going to need to get murdered for that. As a bonus the horrible Irish accent will go away

Oh, right. Good call.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010
Or maybe being dead will make it worse :aaa:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Show is still ridiculous but I feel like it is starting to find its feet, though maybe I'm still just dazzled that we finally got Van Helsing AND he's played by David Warner :swoon:

Billie Piper's accent is still atrocious but I thought she gave an excellent performance in this episode, and I can't wait to see her with a beehive hairdo with white lightning bolts in it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I will say it is kind of cool to see Caliban genuinely having a good time being useful and how kind surrogate stage dad is to him. :unsmith:

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Haha I'm working on the censored version of ep 2 today and it's so ridiculous. My favourite is during the séance they changed "loving her oval office" to "taking her coot". Coot?! How is that really any better?!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Haha I'm working on the censored version of ep 2 today and it's so ridiculous. My favourite is during the séance they changed "loving her oval office" to "taking her coot". Coot?! How is that really any better?!

It's absolutely ridiculous, but apparently "you old coot" is something that mothers will call old me in front of their children.

On another note...

Good news! It sounds like, surprising absolutely no one, time-shifted viewing via Showtime On Demand took the show's ratings from "okay" to "great".

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/penny-dreadful-renewed-for-second-season-showtime/

The entire second season will once again be written by John Logan, and the order has been increased from eight to ten episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I've heard of "cooter" but coot? This is a coot:

Anyway, I am in the camp of Dorian Gray being balls-out trouble for anyone around him. He seems to have a sway and he's bored from being around way too long, so he's going to push people to their limits in one way or another.

To my American ears Billie Piper's accent is harsh and guttural but that seems to fit the character. Usually Irish accents sound all lyrical and sweet (as dumb as I sound admitting that).

• Locked thread