Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I'm surprised that this show hasn't gotten a lot more goon-fanfare.

The writing is exceptional, the characters are nuanced and interesting and the show keeps you on your toes without the use of cheap tricks and cliffhangers. I would've expected something of this quality from HBO, and I definitely get an almost *gasp* Deadwood vibe from the series so far.

Time will tell if the show can maintain it's quality, but I know I'm down for the ride.

In for a penny, in for a pound :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Next week on Penny Dreadful-

Dorian Gray: "I've made a huge mistake."

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
The peak of the "WTF" moments in the finale was definitely the fight scene.

Penny Dreadful has had some great group fights in it's run, the first episode in season 1 being a great example of this. The gore was vivid, the characters interesting and it was simply entertaining without insulting the audience's intelligence (too much).

Violence carried a real weight in this show, and followed a pretty steady interior logic. In group fights yeah it's expected that the side with better numbers will stagger their attacks kung-fu style, but the violence in the show was generally believable and always worth watching.

That final fight scene between the group and Dracula's vampire posse hosed all that up the rear end. Hard.

Protagonists showed up "just cause", and characters who couldn't fight worth a drat are suddenly holding their own against murderous night creatures en masse. This goes on until the scene calls for the full cast and then, no poo poo, people who should have been mauled to pieces or have open throats rise from the ground unhurt and presumably on the ground from exhaustion. What the gently caress?

Dracula, head vampire extraordinaire, decides to weakly choke a Sir Malcolm for awhile until he is suddenly called back to his home planet. This is a centuries old entity that can shapeshift and move faster than the eye can see, and in defending his home and bride, he decides strangle a dude for 10 minutes?

I'm convinced the last half hour of this series is Logan's "gently caress you" to the channel. Nothing else really makes any sense.

• Locked thread