Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
It was a good human episode this week and a refreshing palate changer from last weeks :gonk: dolls.

I felt the ending left a lot unresolved though unless they planned to address it later one. Not sure if I missed anything but does Mr Poole now own the land or did Vanessa end up claiming it? Why didn't the lynch mob hang Vanessa or the coven kidnap her once the other witch was dead? Does Sir Malcolm know about this?

I really wished that episode ended with Ethan at the tavern on a full moon while some country bumpkin tells this big story of how they killed the wicked witch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

3) it was demonstrated that Mrs. Poole had some rudimentary mental control over all of them in their inebriated and possibly 'potioned' state.

Was this just from the scene at the bar? I don't think the people were under some kind of evil magic spell, Mrs Poole was just really good at preying on people's darker natures and the people were more than happy to hate on something different.

qbert posted:

Did she or didn't she take the book? I assumed it was a Chekov's Gun situation where they wouldn't even introduce it if she wasn't going to eventually use it before the season's out.

I thought she didn't take the book which is why she wards the house at the end?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I find everything with the exception of Dorian to be interesting. Really don't see how they are gonna tie him back into the main plot.

Dorian's job is to have sex with every cast member until the end of the series where his sexual experience and prowess is finally called upon to save the day.

He'll need to gently caress the devil

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's gotta come back to the main story though. Maybe they'll run into Lily somehow. That could be funny.

I think the key link is when Frankenstein rocks up with Billy Piper who both Dorian and Werewolf Josh know to be dead.

They should rewrite Dorian as Raymond Reddington, the concierge for the supernatural armed only with his little black book.

:colbert: Dorian we need to find a Catholic Priest of Persian descent who can also read Sanskrit to take part in our ritual and translate this old scroll for us.

:sparkles: Oh yes, you'll want Father James from Manchester, we met in the summer of 24 on a delightful cruise down the Nile. Not much of a talker but by god that mouth of his could sate you for hours and hours under the African sun.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Mouse Dresser posted:

Hooray! Maybe during season 3 Dorian can gently caress Malcolm and Sembene, too.

Penny Dreadful Season 3: Sir Malcolm fucks Dorian and becomes Sir Malcolm and Dorian and Angelique and Vanessa and Ethan and Brona and Victor.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, Lily just got a lot more interesting.

Did we miss a scene where she found out she was dead or when her past memories came back? That was a really good scene with Frankengoon as Lily was essentially acting in place of the audience to call him out on his bullshit and then totally playing him to do what she wants.

I think I also missed another bit but are the devil and Dracula the two brothers?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Lily as an antagonist is a pretty good direction for her character and I still can't believe that Billie Piper could act so well.

Can't say I can see Frankengoon as a competent villain though. All its going to take is a kind word from Vanessa and his rage will subside (until he sees Vanessa with Ethan and then proceed to spend all of season three brooding about 'alpha males' :v:)

This show has no right to be this good.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Was nobody watching this tonight?

Holy poo poo everything is hosed and everyone is eeeevvviiilllll.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
More people should be watching this show.

I think any complaints I have with this season just melted away with the last two episodes. In hindsight, the killing of Angelique made a bit more sense since it shows that Dorian isn't really after the freedom he claims he desires, he needs the chains and a master to feel complete.

So many good scenes this episode. especially with Frankengoon from him knowing that Lily was totally playing him but was still happy to accept damnation to the sweet innocent blind girl being as monstrous as the wax figures she creates. I also loved the fact that everyone, from the audience to the characters, hates Frankengoon and his stupid poetry.

I'm kind of surprised they bought Frankenstein and Lyle along since I'm not sure what they could have been able to do to the witches but then again, having the entire Scooby gang defeated by the mighty power of a locked door was pretty hilarious.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Promo for next week's finale.

Promo spoilers

I hope its just a fake out but gently caress you show if Sembene is actually dead

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd like to see Jekyll and Hyde myself. Would be a fun one to introduce in the final/next season. Also, maybe get rid of Dorian as he manages to make everything boring and uninteresting. It's like the opposite of what his character is supposed to be.

There's still a ton of material they could draw on from an invasion of Martians to the worst monsters of all, Americans.

It feels like a waste to get rid of Dorian just because they've spent two seasons building him up. When he talked to Lily about his society of like minded people I was hoping we'd see his own Scooby gang including people like Hyde, Captain Ahab or Moriarty.

Instead, Dorian fucks a corpse and has his ear eaten.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Binary Logic posted:

Usually marking the face is done for protection against spirits (or keep them locked inside), never heard about them being done to show that someone was a slave trader.

Can someone gif the amazing fight scene in the cut-wifre's old house with Vanessa stabbing Roper over and over and over and over and over again.

Prediction/hope: Vanessa takes control over her own fetish doll and uses it to attack Madame Kali.

It could have been done to mark him as a leader or for religious/spiritual purposes in his tribe etc. I think he was just simplifying his story for Ethan's sake showing that there was a monster inside him as well.

I hope Poole makes it out alive in addition to Sembene. I still don't understand how a show based on a genre of cheap but popular books can make such good tv.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
This show would be perfect if it didn't have a habit of killing of interesting characters in the finale (like Van Helsing or Sembene or Madame Kali), introduced more characters from literature and built up a more mature supernatural world. I think a scene with say Dorian and the Witches talking about their master would have gone a long way showing that there was a much bigger world out there instead of having different bits and pieces disconnected and hidden away from society.

I liked this season but I think the first one still takes the cake. This whole second season had some really good moments but felt a bit unfocused since we had the scooby gang fluffing about London for 8 or 9 episodes before going on a half arsed raid where the team get completely outwitted by and only survive because Vanessa :words: the devil into :emo:

During the scene with Frankenstein being confronted by his creations, I was kind of disappointed that he didn't laugh manically and embrace 'science' by acknowledging that he was perfectly happy being an amoral monster. I absolutely loved how his initial response to Lily dumping him was to shoot her and when that didn't work, to shoot Dorian. I half expected him to go on the warpath and create another monster to solve the problem of the one before instead of leaving devastated and getting hooked on opium.

Still really good TV and I can't wait till next season to see what happens.

Tokubetsu posted:

Side Note: I know it ended with everyone on a boat but did anyone get the impression that Sir Malcom's end/farewall felt final? Like if Timothy Dalton doesn't really show up in s3 I won't be too surprised.

I think you could say the same for all the characters on a boat although I'm pretty sure we haven't seen the last of Sir Malcolm. The show looks like a lot of fun to make, only takes a couple of months to film and it's not long Timothy Dalton has anything else better to do.

I think we'll definitely see a time skip and have everyone come back to deal with whatever crazy poo poo Lily/Dorian have been up to.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

Some casting news for Season 3 today.

Some familiar Gothic-horror characters in there, but some new faces as well (plus one old face that's becoming a new face, apparently).

Dorian was the worst part of the show last season so having Justine, a character who's sole purpose in the novel was to be abused and raped in pretty much every interaction on the show with Dorian and Lily sounds like a terrible idea.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Tokubetsu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwafKJyzir8

Another trailer. Show definitely seems to be going some different places visually this season. Only real fear right now is it looks like the frankenstein/dorian gray stuff looks even fruther away from the rest of the cast than it usually is.

I look forward to seeing Frankengoon drift off and away into his own webshow where he reads lovely Gothic poetry and preaches about Mens Rights.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Wait did I miss it? I thought it didn't come back until May?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
The guy playing Dracula/the Devil was pretty good as well.

This show is never going to get the critical acclaim it deserves but goddamn is the acting way too good for what is suppose to be a really trashy show.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Couldn't Victor just have stolen a body from work?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

What happened?! I don't have cable for two weeks!

THE END

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah it seems like the showrunner/writers suspected that they were not getting renewed about halfway through the season and had to settle for tying up every loose end. It'd explain why they quickly dumped a bunch of interesting characters like Hecate or Lyle before the finale.

The real disappointment had to be that Dorian was still loving useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
The Monster is terrible up until the last season where the actor gets much, much better material to work with. You're honestly not missing much if you just skip all his scenes in the beginning.

• Locked thread