Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Green is amazing. I'm half ready to give her an emmy on that seance scene alone. She just seems to be able to sell anything they give her and they sure do give her a lot of stuff to try and sell.

I like the show. Its moody and well acted. I've always been a sucker for Victorian horror although it may be a little to busy. I'm hoping Hartnett doesn't turn out to be anything but a drunk with a dark past because if he turns out to be the Wolfman or something it's just gonna strike me as a bit too much. I think he's a red herring and the really killer/monster is probably just Dracula, Frankenstein's first monster, Amunet, or another clear villain we're introduced to (or all of the above).

But its a short season so I have hope it is fine with this pacing.

The only criticism is that I straight up gave up on trying to understand Billie Piper. I've just resorted to turning on closed captioning whenever I see her on herren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vincent posted:

The only chance I see of them getting rid of her accent is if Dorian Grey goes all Pigmalion on her rear end or if she gets bride of frankenstein'd (and we already have the flamboyant doctor/scholar!)

They need to just pull a Burn Notice.

Episode 1: "YA EN MEIME!"
Episode 2: "Like my new accent? Thought it was time for a change."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its pulp television, not prestige television. Pulp doesn't have to be bad. Its fun and Green especially is doing great work but it's not going to draw the praise and attention of shows like Sopranos and Breaking Bad when it has more in common with True Blood.

But that can be a good thing. It keeps people from building up ridiculous expectations and getting snooty about the show's flaws. The crowd we have seems capable of recognizing the show's flaws and just shrugging and enjoying it a strengths.

I was hoping the Hartnett/werewolf thing was a red herring but it does seem hard to deny after that zoo scene. It could still be a distraction but the show doesn't seem very subtle. The Dorian Gray/Dracula theory is interesting. I don't really buy it. Dorian wasn't turned on by blood, he was turned on by death. But I'm not really sure where he fits into the story and they seem to be taking enough liberties with the Ahmet/vampire thing that I could see them getting creative with Dorian's immortality.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 30, 2014

• Locked thread