Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

ShakeZula posted:

Definitely a fan of this one, despite low initial expectations. The seance scene really was amazing, though I found myself having trouble following the story that possessed-Vanessa was telling. From what she was saying (unless Malcolm had two daughters), it sounded like Mina died in Africa and was also molested by Sir Malcolm. It's more than possible that I just misunderstood what was going on though.

Having seen the first 4 episodes so far, I can assure you that some of the confusing things that they mention off-handedly in the first couple episodes are pieced together throughout. It seems it'll be one of those shows that watching it again once the season is done will have a completely different understanding of exactly what's going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

eriktown posted:

Lucky sod. Are you a TV critic irl or something?

No, but I work in the company that does all the sound editing for it.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I guess I'm in the minority but I actually love Brona/Billie's terrible accent. I can understand people finding it abrasive, but I just really like it for some reason.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Mouse Dresser posted:

I love the i09 reviews of the episodes that refer to Ethan as "totally normal human male."
Thank you for mentioning these. I've spent all morning at work reading these recaps while I'm backing up files and they're hilarious. I can't wait to see the recap for episode 5, it's so different than the rest of the season has been so far and answers so many questions, I'm dying for everyone else to see it too.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Haha I'm working on the censored version of ep 2 today and it's so ridiculous. My favourite is during the séance they changed "loving her oval office" to "taking her coot". Coot?! How is that really any better?!

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I know I'm already a few episodes ahead of you guys, but drat Eva Green never fails to blow me away. The séance was a fantastic display but she does so much more than that.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Haha, yeah I've already seen all of episodes 6 and 7, and parts of 8 as well.

I also found a spider in my house yesterday which has become infinitely more creepy since this show. At least it wasn't crawling out from behind an upside down cross.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Binary Logic posted:

Listened to a pretty good podcast

Got a link?

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

nutranurse posted:

This episode's cliffhander ending was pretty fun too. Eva Green goes for a spin!
I kept wanting to edit that scene with "Jump in the Line" like the end of Beetlejuice.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Caliban really grew on me throughout the season. Yes he's angry and murdery, but mostly he's just misguided. Namely because he was left to completely fend for himself. He's still not my favourite character but I do feel for him and by the end of the season some of you might as well.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Binary Logic posted:

I dl podcasts onto my phone so I can listen while doing other stuff, but this Victorian-era 'link' device might work for you

http://podbay.fm/show/877458907

Cool, thanks. I'm pretty new to podcasts so I guess I should have asked the name instead. I actually ended up searching for PD podcasts and have been listening to this one already. It's interesting but good god do they have some really stupid ideas about what's happening sometimes.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

nutranurse posted:

I wanna see that portrait.

According to an interview with Reeve Carney the painting exists but he hasn't seen it yet which would mean it's probably coming in season 2

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

w00tuberjedi posted:

Maybe Jekyll and Hyde.

I haven't gone back to confirm myself, but one of my coworkers said that in ep 2, when that guy has a newspaper with a headline about the Ripper returning, there's also an ad for Dr. Jekyll's magic tonic or something like that.

Edit: just checked at work, it's episode 1, about 29 mins in. It's a small ad on the back page that says "Dr. Jekyll, Medicine Practitioner" and then the rest is too small to read on my screen.

KasioDiscoRock fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 30, 2014

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Blackchamber posted:

Yeah but I mean he'd done some traveling around before he was taken in by the theater manager and he's walked around the streets to stalk Frankenstein so he's got to have seen what normal makeup looks like when its worn by normal people. Then instead of emulating that he mashes it on his face like clown makeup. If 'what the hell' was the point, mission accomplished. Most baffling part of that episode for me.

But Maude obviously wears theatre makeup, and likes Simon who wears theatre makeup, which is why Caliban's trying to emulate that look. He thinks that's what Maude wants.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I love these recaps so much.

I don't know if this is public knowledge yet, but the deleted scene with Lyle and Madame Kali that is mentioned in the article is going to be shown at a very large event where you'd expect to see things like teasers for the next season. And it's definitely an interesting scene.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

One Swell Foop posted:

We don't yet know for a fact that that was him what done the murders, it could a different American Werewolf in London™ or his uncle or something.

Maybe not the first one, but in his absinthe flashback/montage he sees the woman from the park with the apple.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
Has anyone been able to find the deleted scene they showed at ComicCon? I've seen articles about it, but not ever a link to the clip itself.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

Grinning Goblin posted:

According to this, it was renewed for a nine episode season. Seems like a really odd number.

It does seem like an odd number, but it's accurate. I'm working part-time at their foley studio and can definitely confirm its 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

And More posted:

Hartdegen is the last name of the time traveller from the 2002 adaptation of The Time Machine. Make of that what you will. :shrug:

Also John Logan was the screenwriter for the film, so I think you're on the right track.

• Locked thread