Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Economics for premium cable shows are all different. You care about subs, not eyeballs. Same is true for Netflix. Netflix needs to calculate how much revenue in subs they get vs licensing fees.

The generally accepted wisdom is that a highly watched show SHOULD correspond to subs, but that may not always be the case.

Your could have the most watched show on Netflix, but if all your viewers would all still subscribe if the show was dropped, you aren't actually bringing in any revenue for the service.

Obviously it's a little more complex than that since one show is rarely the make or break and your have to take into account things like brand image. But subscription services have more to consider than just eyeballs in a timeslot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I don't understand why they keep putting this show up against Game of Thrones. There's no way they can compete with it, all it's going to do is drive viewership down.

It doesn't matter if the majority of views are on Showtime Anytime or DVR watches.

Premium channels don't give a flying gently caress if you watch their shows live.

Also, it's not up against GoT anyways. GoT is 9pm, Penny Dreadful is at 10pm.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They have an interesting dichotomy going on here.

The bad guy isn't seeking to directly control or change Vanessa's nature.

The "good" guys want to make Lily obedient and tame.

I just wonder if they can pull of anything more interesting with it than just the contrast in these past two episodes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Solice Kirsk posted:

Gonna beat GoT to the finale and maybe boost their views because of it.

Again, GoT is 9pm. Penny Dreadful is 10pm.

Well, except for the upcoming Sunday when they air the first of the two episodes at 9pm.

So, not only are they starting it an hour earlier than normal, there are directly going up against the penultimate episode of GoT because of the that.

There's no universe in which this is going to have a positive impact on live views.

But, as I said before, live views mean absolutely nothing to a subscription ad-free network.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Two one hour episodes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

As Nero Danced posted:

e: I just thought of something. Did Ethan being a werewolf affect the ending in any way?

It was the reason why he was able to act.

Ethan is the person that can destroy Dracula, Dracula put his survival above protecting his obsession which is why he just runs away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CubanMissile posted:

I know, but I would have liked to have seen that army result in at least a wave of terror around London

Kinda moot after, you know, death fog.

Though, the idea of them getting all riled up and running out to do mayhem and then immediately choking to death would have been hilarious.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 1, 2016

• Locked thread