Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Dorian Gray is kind of seOOPS IT'S SATAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

I didn't really mind the voiceover and I thought the foreshadowing (when Caliban and the girl talk about Lucifer) was pretty cool. The dialog in the harbor was great too:

- Why this ship?
- It came from Cairo four months ago and has been in quarantine since, for what they're vaguely describing as "typhus or an unknown foreign disease". You recall the hieroglyphic tattoos we discovered? Those were Egyptian. That, and the fact the ship's in quarantine, is suggestive.
- Of what?
- Chicanery.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Yes Caliban is basically a cross between a 30-something goon and an angsty teenager only with immortality and superhuman strength and fortitude.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

I must have missed the significance of the pendant thing?

It was a pendant of St. Jude, patron saint of the hopeless and of lost causes. His Latin incantation basically amounts to saying, "Saint Jude, blessed apostle, servant of Jesus, ________" (I can't make out the last few words well enough to translate.)

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

The recent ep was great, has been waiting for something like this. I wonder if mr Devil really is the same character as Mr Vamp, considering there was two of them... and they don't really seem to have much presence on their own. Mid-boss tier henchmen?

Would seem like a fitting end to season 1 to have them finally kill the head vampire and then whelp, didn't beat/kill the Devil after all. (Assuming here that Mina's odds for survival are fairly low :v:)

Basically, what will be the tie-in to season 2, other than presumably the same cast of "good guys"? Dorian, Caliban and Bronna are the only others, but they serve more as supporting characters for their respective counterpart in the main cast (well Dorian does more). There gotta be more to the baddies, right? I'm positively intrigued by how this can expand :wotwot:

They have certainly set up Satan, who is the Devil, as an overarching antagonist. It certainly seems like he is trying to get Dracula (or whatever, representing Amon) to come together with medium/possessed-entity Vanessa (representing Amanuet) to bring about the end of the world, but it seems like other supernatural poo poo could easily be used as a plot driver with the same overarching theme in the next season, even if the vampires are dead.

Meanwhile, didn't the preview for next week show some other probably-werewolves trying to intimidate Ethan? There are a bunch of unresolved plot hooks (Caliban/Brona, Mina Harker if she survives, Dorian doing something with his life, etc.) that will probably play larger roles in a Season 2.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Skeesix posted:

Mods change my name to this, tia.

Eva Green is so so so good in this. I just binged through all seven episodes and I'll be sad if there's only one more episode this season. Tim Dalton is also pretty good but a bit more understated. Also I was iffy on Josh Hartnett until his devil scene.

Anyway I want more.

Honestly I think the show's biggest flaw is that the writing didn't give Hartnett enough to do / work with. His scenes with Brona are decent and the scene with the wolves was good, but his arguing with the rest of the cast about how they are behaving always felt forced and not like real tension. (I observe in light of the exorcism that he was always the one saying, "This is not right," when they did questionable or brutal stuff.) He really sold the hell out of both the devil and the exorcism scenes though. There was no :tviv: big enough for the feeling when he is just talking to her about Heaven and Hell and suddenly goes, "you might say it's where I was flung when your loving oval office OF A GOD CAST ME OUT!"

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

What a great show. Every single one of the denouement scenes was great.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Brightman posted:

I might be way off on this but I feel like that Priest might've been the devil. The way he talked about her condition like being touched by the backhand of God, and the question in general. That coupled with his story about the exorcism and how there were no survivors, so how the gently caress did you survive then huh?

Either way he seemed sorta off.

Brightman posted:

I don't remember the exact quote, but the way he mention that no one survived and no one found God there made it seem like he was Lucifer/some other demon as well. I'd say consecrated ground probably is a thing, and maybe that's it, but I feel like maybe there'd be more people that would've made it if that were the case. He could just be a priest that has seen some poo poo, so now he's weird like that, but he's still suspicious...although maybe Catholics in this are just weird, thinking back to that creepy little girl at the funeral.

I didn't pick up on it that way. The vibe I got was that she has come upon a priest who really knows of where he speaks and isn't just a poseur like the last guy. I thought the scene was pretty brilliant and it would be cool if he is a recurring character of some kind.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Blackchamber posted:

OK can someone explain to me what Friendzonestein was painting his face for? Like maybe he thought he'd make himself look less pale and freakish with a bit of makeup but he did it like they do on stage so that people in the back rows can see it. What the hell?

The "what the hell" is sort of the point. He doesn't really know how to use makeup, he wants to appear more attractive to Maude, and he is basically desperate and flailing. Imagine a nerdy teenager with lots of acne meeting a girl for the first time, only he has super strength and a temper. Welp.

I thought the parallels and contrasts between Caliban's rejection and Dorian's rejection were great -- Dorian is totally bewildered and confused, but for Caliban the experience (along with his own lack of control) leads him to personal insights.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Sober posted:

There was a body double?

Yeah I'm not sure who he's talking about. Where there even any lots-of-skin sex scenes in this show other than white-eyes Vanessa having a go with Lucifer?

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Won't Vanessa recognize Poole from their, uh, shared history? And why didn't she recognize her last season? (Or did we cover this gaping plot hole somewhere?)

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Exclamation Marx posted:

Is the inspector an allegory of anyone? It's a shame Sembene went out like a chump. African werewolf in London? :pray:

Assuming it isn't a fake-out, I'm disappointed in Sembene going out this way. It fits with his character but he's too good of a character to lose, really. :(

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Penny Dreadful: "Never underestimate the power of a queen with lovely hair, my dear."

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

Well, the western storyline sure delivered. :stare:

That was the greatest ending.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

Am I crazy, or did it come back a little during her big speech at the Murderous Ladies Auxiliary Dinner?

It comes back just a little bit whenever she gets pissed or is under stress. Also happens when she calls Dorian a oval office in this episode. It is really well-done. If Malcolm and Caliban turn out to be the heroes of this season I will be satisfied.

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

ExiledTinkerer posted:

One of the worst show endings I've seen in years, possibly of all time---very nearly makes me regret having started the series in the first place

I didn't like Vanessa's death either, but this is exactly the sort of comical exaggeration I always hope for from the TVIV. The only thing worst than this ending was your posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazanir
Apr 28, 2010

I want to make fun of all the people earlier in the thread with terrible fanfic theories about how Lily was totally going to gently caress up Dorian / the painting / whatever. But as I was watching the last Dorian/Lily scene during Dorian's monologue I was suddenly SURE that he had realized the futility of his own existence and was going to go stab the painting. But then he bitched out on the obvious conclusion to his own monologue with the weak line about, "Small price to pay for perfect immortality, isn't it?" And I felt shamed.

Edit: Also, the opening song/sequence change for the finale was amazing as hell.

• Locked thread