Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I loving love this show so far, it pulls no punches at all. RIP our good Mister Proteus, you were too beautiful for this world :sadwave:

HEVampersand posted:

Episode 2:

In trying to piece together the three different voices from the séance scene... Peter, Sir Malcom's son, died of dysentery and that part of the reveal ended with the long exhalation by Eva Green.

What I got from this is that Sir Malcolm took the kid along on an expedition, knew he(?) was sick and chose to go on up his mountain climb anyway, which he evidently regrets now. While he didn't have any lines here, I thought Dalton was awesome just the same and the scene had much more impact because of his portrayal.

quote:

Then poo poo got real with the possibility that Sir Malcom's daughter Mina was molested or could've been in a freaky Game of Thrones-esque consentual sexual relationship with her father

Pretty obviously Mina (channelled through Miss Ives) is describing her corruption/transformation into a vampire, she's referring to a third party that her father has sex with and paralleling her vampirism to that.

Who wants to bet that Chandler is a werewolf and is the one doing all the recent killings.

Gaussian posted:

:wtf: happened at the end of the second episode?!?

Mister Proteus was not the first person re-animated by Frankenstein (the new character calls himself Frankenstein's "firstborn").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah the set design of the lab also reminded me of Wrightson's famous Frankenstein artwork as well:

click for full

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Eh he's pretty much a back burner character with Green/Dalton getting the lion's share of cool poo poo to do, he just doesn't have a whole lot to work with at this point other than be the amiable brooding guy (audience surrogate).

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Basically it's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen minus Nemo and Hyde. It's really pretty great so far and looks like it'll get even better.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I don't think it's going to be 1:1, which is probably a good thing. Hyde was easily the coolest thing about the League comics and I'm glad he wasn't watered down and copied. It's OK to actually have Frankenstein be Frankenstein, that's a good story - even as many times as it's been done it's still a good story.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It seems very likely, yes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Frankly after the curve ball they threw with Mr. Proteus, I'm not so sure Ethan Chandler will turn out to be a werewolf, it's too blatant. Brona's going to be the werewolf, the wolves at the zoo left Chandler alone because he carried her skanky scent on his fingers.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Maybe it was pretty skanky indeed and he was hoping the wolf would wash it off for him iunno

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There are way too many actual Englishmen involved here to let this get hosed up THAT badly.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Also on tonight's episode: One episode of raunchy, consequence-free sex is had!

e: I suspect it will be Sir Malcolm's turn at the helm since all of the other principals have had theirs, except gay widower Dr. Frankenstein who is in mourning/being courted.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 1, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well that was not quite the combination of sex partners I expected. :stare:

also Brona is totally going to be Bride of Frankenstein

e: Alas poor Mister Fenton, they keep killing off characters they I like. :smith:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 2, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I dearly hope he'll be a regular. I do.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

HEVampersand posted:

I was so disappointed to have all those scenes flash before Ethan's eyes only for him to kiss Dorian. I was hoping for more of a definitive 'he's a werewolf/he's having PTSD from slaughtering Indians/he's seen the handywork of a supernatural before meeting Sir Malcom'. If they wanted to do the Dorian Gray sexy time thing, they didn't need to build up the tension from the rat-killing dog and the shock of being slapped by Brona.

I dunno, the blood transfusion scene "Trust me" was a pretty big red flag if the zoo scene last episode with the wolves wasn't enough.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

He's an Elliot Rodger analogue, a bit ahead of his time.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I dunno I think Dorian Gray is just Dorian Gray. I'm getting the impression that the show isn't going to try too terribly hard to reinvent the classic stories it's being drawn from.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Come on, nobody's going to need to get murdered for that. As a bonus the horrible Irish accent will go away

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That is from a press kit

no actually I did it in photoshop thanks tho

Adapted from this pic

and of course the famous Bride of Frankenstein pic

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 4, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No, that's pretty much the foundation of his character "I'm a bad father I'd rather be off finding the source of the Nile"

"Oh dear, Timmy has dysentery. Well keep a stiff upper lip son, Daddy has a mountain to climb tally ho!"

e: I mean yes he evidently regrets being a lovely father but that doesn't mean he's actually trying to change anything :smug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

My reaction to that scene was, "Maybe this is why Ethan had to leave America!

In any case he's certainly arrived in England :iamafag:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Really wondering why Ethan didn't want him to roll up his arms or give his blood?

Doesn't everyone know that mixing vampire blood and werewolf blood is a bad idea? actually Ethan has AIDS

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Episode 5: Good. Good. Yes.

Also apparently Dr. Van Helsing will be returning next episode.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Genuine hand-cranked trepanations are the gold loving standard of Victorian brain surgery. I gotta say I was legitimately squirming while that was going on.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Counterpoint:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The truth is in the middle

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well drat Caliban that was not very nice of you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CHICANERY!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

and a reddit account

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

The big next-seasonish plot hook I remember being dropped so far has been Sir Malcolm's expedition to find the source of the Nile, which he said he'd like to take Ethan along for.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hollismason posted:

The vampire attack with them shooting etc... was pretty silly. Apparently the only attack vampires know with their superhuman strength is to jump on someones back.

Come on man, it's a pulp paradigm. Shooting and loving and stabbing is what this show is about.

I don't see how people are trying to compare this show to Game of Thrones, they're so wildly different in just about every way imaginable. Small cast vs. Enormous Goddamn Cast, tiny setting vs. huge sprawling countryside kingdom, tawdry pulp vs. epic fantasy, largely familiar backstoried characters vs. new characters

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Incidentally I really loved Dorian's reaction to Vanessa's freakout in the midst of their loving. He's like, "Huh." and he's so jaded he just goes downstairs to admire his painting. Really a great adaptation of his character from the book.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah that's pretty hard to forgive.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's entirely OK if you think the show is awful, I'm sure there's a lot of people who feel the same :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ethan: "What's wrong with her?"

Sir Malcolm: "She is possessed by the devil."

Ethan: "gently caress me!"

Seriously if you watched this last episode and all you got is "didn't like the shooting lots of vampires scene" maybe this show is just not for you.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Doctor Frankenstein shooting up :suspense:

Sir Malcolm shooting up with Doctor Frankenstein :suspense:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They're running a second season, at the very least, and it's going to be longer (discussed earlier in thread), I think 12 episodes.

e:

DecentHairJelly posted:

Most of the credit goes to Eva Green.
For this episode at least, Josh Hartnett kept up with her just fine, mainly because he had a lot to work with this time.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 23, 2014

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

True enough, but it was something pretty clearly he was enormously reluctant to do - when he took the medal in the first place he obviously didn't want to do it, and through this episode he'd almost rather shoot her to death rather than do the exorcism thing. I expect that will be justified more in future episodes.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Kazanir posted:

It was a pendant of St. Jude, patron saint of the hopeless and of lost causes. His Latin incantation basically amounts to saying, "Saint Jude, blessed apostle, servant of Jesus, ________" (I can't make out the last few words well enough to translate.)

Well also Brona gave it to him, and at that time he was obviously very reluctant to take it from her - I suppose partly because she's about to die of her illness but partly for reasons that are entirely his own.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I'm also a touch confused on Chandler's devil scene. It was just the devil using Chandler's appearance as a disguise, correct?

Yes, and the viewer is also shown pretty bluntly that while Devil Ethan is chatting up Vanessa upstairs, Normal Ethan is sitting downstairs, oblivious.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mouse Dresser posted:

I don't think the Mina story is going to be resolved next episode.

All the more reason for the trek to Egypt then.

Mouse Dresser posted:

Totally think Brona is dying next episode, though.

Honestly I can't wait for this, I have no doubt it's going to be awesomely corny and over the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I was going to contradict that but y'know, Fates Worse Than Death are actually a big recurring theme in real penny dreadfuls.

• Locked thread