Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
The Western storyline got a bit too silly in this last episode in my opinion. The American lawman guy getting shot like that was kind of a wet fart to his character I felt.

I never expected Brona/Lily to become my favorite character, surpassing even Vanessa. But her performance in this ep really did it for me, showing a little bit of nuance beyond the revenge plot. I loved seeing that she still felt a connection to her past self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Ethan saying the Lord's Prayer was so dumb. Like something a 10-year-old would do to be pissy.

This really is the perfect way to describe it. Absolutely hilarious.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, I originally suspected the reason Ethan's father wanted him back was because of some Loups Garoux-style thing where the 'first son' strayed from the pack, and they were *all* werewolves, which would explain why they lived so loving far away from anything remotely resembling civilization.

This is exactly what i thought and the reality was super underwhelming.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, she was the MVP for that scene with Victor. By comparison Eva's were flat and predictable.

This cannot be emphasized enough. Pretty much the most boring possible way to end Vanessa's plotline, oh well at least we got the incredible Lily monologue.

"GET loving UP!" My God. I had no idea Billie Piper could act like that, I've only seen her in Doctor Who.

Though I have to say Justine gave up embarrassingly fast when it looked like Lily was gone. Too bad she didn't wait to kill herself a few more hours!

If I had to sum up Penny Dreadful I'd say it's a show with a lot of fascinating ideas and compelling scenes that never really came together to make a coherent whole. Less than the sum of it's parts I guess you could say. Would still recommend though.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
The more I think about it the less satisfied I am. Man, even when Rome got cancelled unexpectedly the writers managed to cobble together the loose plot threads into a more coherent ending than this.

Such cool ideas and cool characters, such a failure of a conclusion.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Could of went the Sopranos direction and give no plot threads a conclusion.

I really hate to bring this up, but the Sopranos had a really obvious conclusion and I don't understand why so many people continue to ignore that even years later. They practically spell out what happens for the audience.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Cat was pretty, not interesting.

Yeah, she's my least favorite type of Strong Female Character™. The kind that constantly talks about how men are so dramatic and why do men insist on doing such and such and men men men men men. Ironically, the character who legitimately hates men, Lily, somehow avoids such trite dialogue (maybe because hers has some bite and I don't feel like I've heard it a million times before) so I'm not sure why Cat had to be this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
My favorite episode was the one about Vanessa and the Cut-Wife. Every season they had like one episode mainly about Vanessa and they were all good but that one was the best.

My favorite single scene was Lily's monologue in the last ep- or Lily and Dorian rescuing Justine lol. They're tied.

• Locked thread