Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Gaussian posted:

:wtf: happened at the end of the second episode?!?

I know, what kind of loving ending is that? :stare:

CuddleChunks posted:

Fire the dialect coach then tell Billie to talk in her normal voice and you'd have a fine bit of Victoriana going on. No, they were idiots and had her try on a wretched "Irish" accent. It's ghastly. My show watching friends and I were howling with laughter when she was introduced and then cringing every time she opened her yap.

Lord she's bad, so drat bad. Please please please find some way to soften it or give her no more lines. It's just dreadful.

Everyone else has been fine, can't wait for the next episode. MORE SIGNIFICANT GLANCES AHOY!

Her accent is absolutely terrible, but I can just half tune it out and pretend that she's talking funny because she (the Actress) is British.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

I hope Dorian Grey beds every character by the end of the series. :allears:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

eriktown posted:

There are some reactions in the renewal notice I linked on the previous page. The tl;dr seems to be the conventional ratings are okay-ish, perhaps mediocre, but it's pulling the biggest numbers they've ever gotten for time-shifted viewing via Showtime On Demand, etc, and the execs are totally happy about this because the "Comic Con demographic" was what they were going for anyway.

Right at the end of the article they also mention the launch of a Penny Dreadful tie-in merchandise line, which has me a bit :psyduck: I mean, what are they going to sell, fake corpses and bloody handkerchiefs?

Do you know how much Victorian-type poo poo they could make and sell? Handkerchiefs, pocket watches, heck I'd even see them make Penny Dreadful neck chokers.

And you know what, if it's the "Comic Con Demographic" that's watching this show then those tacky tie-ins will sell.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Man, Caliban really is a monster. And a goony one at that! I felt a little bad for the guy when he got rejected because, you know, that sucks regardless of who you are/how horribly pathetic you are. But killing David Warner like that?

t:mad:

You can go straight to whatever hell is in store for you, Caliban.

This episode's cliffhander ending was pretty fun too. Eva Green goes for a spin!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Squidster posted:

Much thanks, sir. Eva Green is consistently the most unsettling part of this show.

Eva Green was made for a role like this.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

:shrug: I think that Penny Dreadful and GoT try to do two very different things in two very different genres, it's apples to oranges. As to why there's a lack of goon interests? Well we're a pretty fickle lot, and TBH, it's nice to come into a thread and not be overwhelmed with the pointless negativity you find in more popular threads.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

RIP, Van Helsing, you were too good for this world. :qq:

But really, I still do feel for Caliban. He's a monster not because of the way he was made, but because of the way he was treated by the person who made him. Caliban's clearly intelligent and incredibly capable (stagehand work is no joke), not some shambling, stiff zombie. If Frankenstein had just stuck the gently caress around he would have realized that he just revolutionized humanity.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Honorific! posted:

I don't like Caliban, but I do appreciate the fact that they managed to turn Frankenstein's monster into a goony Phantom of the Opera. It's all I can think of when he shows up and it keeps making me giggle.

The phantom of the opera aspect is another quality I love. It fits so well and is a nice interpretation/execution of the role.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Man, these past few episodes have been amazing. Wow.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

WastedJoker posted:

dorian feels like the weakest part of the show to me - it feels like he is just being used as a device for chaos.

I hope they explore more of Dorian in Season 2 if not this season, though I'm content with him remaining a shadowy possible villain. Really, given what/who Dorian Gray is supposed to be, he wouldn't be the kind of guy to go out vampire hunting or monster-making or anything all that action-y. He'd more likely bang it and then take a hit of opium.

I wanna see that portrait.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Skeesix posted:

Yeah but he's more protective of her than brona!

Brona's not possessed by the devil, just TB.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Honorific! posted:

Maybe I'm dumb and everyone else thinks this is obvious, but did Sir Malcom mean that he was Vanessa's real father? Or just that he still cared about her like a father in spite of everything? I honestly couldn't tell.

Nah, I don't think that was what we were supposed to gleam from that line. Instead I believe it's just that Malcolm was accepting Vanessa as the "daughter he deserves" (his own words) and vaguely forgiving Vanessa for loving up his/their family so much.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Mouse Dresser posted:

io9 has another good recap up, and the chart of relationships is hilarious.

http://io9.com/penny-dreadfuls-season-finale-leaves-us-with-a-zillion-1598137422

I love that all of Dorian's involvement can either be described as "made out/making out" or "some other messed up business"

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

It's been too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Goddamnit I hate Frankengoon.

• Locked thread