Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
We get David Warner as Van Helsing.

We are not worthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I think there are way, way too many clues that Ethan *is* our American Werewolf in London for me to actually buy into the fact that he is.

He clearly knows *something* is up with his blood, given the transfusion scene. He also seems to know that he can calm the wolves or at least not freak them out. But he doesn't have any reaction (aside from a few chuckles) to the werewolf show at the Grand Guignol which is telling to me because you'd think it'd bother/annoy him if he's also suspecting that the little pantomime on stage is pretty much exactly he's doing at night to the local ladies. I'm not sure what explains his weird reaction to the ratcatcher dog; maybe that's closer to reality than the stage play.

I don't know; perhaps I'm reading more into it than I should and it'll all end in him being a werewolf the way they're pretty much shouting he is, but I could totally see it twisting and Ethan's story being something altogether different, like being a Jekyll/Hyde creature or something of the like.

Way off-base? Totally just a werewolf?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
...so, with only two episodes left, I'm guessing this isn't going "True Detective"-style with a brand new cast and story next season?

Because they still have way too many threads hanging out there for this to resolve this season.

Including the "No way, totally normal, not a werewolf, nuh-uh" inevitable Ethan reveal.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I love both shows but I get vaguely depressed seeing the volume of posts that go into the GoT threads daily and then come back here to find... 5 or do, on average. I realize we're talking very different volumes of watchers but still... there's got to be more goon interest in this show than this.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Having Caliban kill David Warner was pretty much the only way for me to resent that character more. I said "resent", not hate.

Good characters make me hate them. Lame rear end characters who steal screen time from their superiors or, worse, kill them make me resent them. I hope he's gone by season's end. He's added nothing to the show. Not a drat thing.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Really hoping the online ratings are as good as some folks seem to say they are, because the Nielsen's are sort of a bummer, as is the level of activity on this thread (not knocking anyone, obviously). I'm wondering if they're already looking ahead to wrap this after three seasons or if the show has a longer, healthier future ahead. Last night's episode was fantastic and, as someone else already mentioned, made up for all of the sins of this season (aside from a really weird decision by Vanessa to go face the witches alone to save Sir Malcolm who was only in need of saving because he made the same weird decision the week before. I blame witchery. Or chicanery.)

I honestly could see either Vanessa or Ethan going antagonist next season, but I think it's less likely since Lily is being pretty clearly set up for that. I don't think we'll be getting any more classic horror trope monsters added to the mix, but I'll admit I'm kind of curious who their next pick would be if they decided just one more...

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Yeah, this story just doesn't check out. He's got interviews after Season 2 where he plainly states there's not an endpoint in sight and the way the first half of Season 3 plays out, it just makes little sense to rush in Cat and Jekyll if you already know you have under 9 hours for your curtain call with a cast this big. Factor in Hecate and Rusk being shown the door so unceremoniously when it's clear that they'd previously had bigger things slated for them and something tells me that something shifted midway through production.

I realize the show isn't show sequentially necessarily so it's not like they finish Episode 5 and suddenly realize they're cancelled, but this season in no way reads like someone's draft of the last act of a three-act play. It reads like setting up for 4 or 5 and then realizing midway through you have to finish in 3. They're putting a nice spin on it as Logan is on to his next Showtime project but the ending felt very, very wrong, artfully executed as it was.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

CubanMissile posted:

Candles and some poetry at the end doesn't make it all artfully executed.

"Oh hey Doc Frank, what a nice coincidence you came out that room! Care to join us for the final battle now that you've become an expert pistoleer in your spare time? I doesn't matter anyway since the villain is just gonna dip out."

This was a rush job, pure and simple.

Enh. There's some baby going out with your bathwater there. I thought Brona and Dorian got decent enough endings (although her 180 was pretty freaking abrupt) and that Dorian's final framing was artful. It had its moments and it all *looked* very pretty. It was full of artistic flourishes which were nice, which was all I meant by that. Unfortunately, the plot itself felt a lot more LOST/BSG than it did a show ending gracefully in the way it'd always intended to end.

My biggest problem with Vanessa's ending is that that ending was there for them in Season One with the possession episode, as has been pointed out by other folks. It wasn't right then and nothing about her arc over Seasons Two and Three changed anything to make it right at the series' end. They're talking out the side of their mouths saying that was the way it was always meant to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Lots of Seven Stages of Grief Penny Dreadful postings on my FB feed right now. Not really sure when the Acceptance part will kick in.

• Locked thread