Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Flesh Forge posted:

I dunno, the blood transfusion scene "Trust me" was a pretty big red flag if the zoo scene last episode with the wolves wasn't enough.

It's so obvious it's practically flashing on the screen in giant letters.

I love the i09 reviews of the episodes that refer to Ethan as "totally normal human male."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Penny Dreadful: Eva Green for your Emmy consideration

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

We've only got 2 more episodes for Brona to die and become Mrs. Caliban and totally normal human Ethan to reveal that he's a werewolf still a totally normal human.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

I'm officially obsessed with this show. I love Eva Green so much.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

I don't think the Mina story is going to be resolved next episode. I'm assuming that it continues through next season because we haven't seen the characters (except Frankenstein) learn anything, really, about vampires. I believe we'll see Malcolm and Ethan (and maybe Frankie) go to Egypt to learn more about the weird hieroglyphic markings on the vampire corpse (and perhaps to try to exorcise Vanessa).

Totally think Brona is dying next episode, though.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Flesh Forge posted:

Honestly I can't wait for this, I have no doubt it's going to be awesomely corny and over the top.

I hope the closing shot is Frankie starting the process with dead Brona on the slab and Caliban standing there all

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And then he rips her in half when he finds out the horrible put-on Irish accent survived the process.

"I MUST BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND HER, DEMON!"

hahahaha oh my god, please let this happen.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Skeesix posted:

I think the worst has been his scenes as himself with and about Vanessa. What is she to him? Why should we believe that he cares so much about her?

I think Ethan is just one of those old fashioned, chivalric guys. Remember that Vanessa is the one who approached him to join the group and she charmed him at that pub, so she was the one he trusted enough from the beginning. I think he's just protective of her in the same way he's protective of Brona.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This was actually pretty close to how he actually looked.

Nailed it.

FINALLY.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

io9 has another good recap up, and the chart of relationships is hilarious.

http://io9.com/penny-dreadfuls-season-finale-leaves-us-with-a-zillion-1598137422

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

nutranurse posted:

I love that all of Dorian's involvement can either be described as "made out/making out" or "some other messed up business"

I just like that the eccentric Egyptologist is too good for this poo poo.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

What other horror characters/stories would you guys like to see in the show?

I assumed that Caliban in the theater was a Phantom of the Opera homage, but I'd like to see that story explored a little more.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Penny Dreadful Season 2: Things are so rarely what they seem.

(Vanessa quote from season 1)

Edit: Alternatively, use the RuPaul's Drag Race one of "Not today, Satan!"

Mouse Dresser fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 17, 2015

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

I watched the first episode yesterday, and it's just as pulpy and over the top as I'd hoped. I'm a little skeptical about the witch daughters, none of the actresses seemed that good and it feels a bit ehhh to introduce this plot. However, I'm pretty psyched for Emostein and the wax museum.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

io9 has a great write up on the season premiere: http://io9.com/five-things-about-penny-dreadful-are-better-than-ever-1702023840

Including this amazing picture

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

poo poo I made one before I saw that one was already made.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This one is only 14 pages, let's just use this one.

Here is the first post I made in the closed thread:

Mouse Dresser posted:

Season 2 of Showtime's series "Penny Dreadful" is upon us, mortals!

In the first season of this Victorian-set drama, we were introduced to many literary familiar faces and some new characters invented for the series.

The characters are:

Vanessa Ives
Played by Eva Green

Poised, mysterious and utterly composed, Vanessa is a seductive and formidable beauty full of secrets and danger. She is keenly observant -- clairvoyant even -- as well as an expert medium. Her supernatural gifts are powerful and useful to those around her, but they are also a heavy burden. Her inner demons just may be more real than emotional, and they threaten to destroy her relationships, her sanity, and her very life.

Sir Malcolm Murray
Played by Timothy Dalton

A hardened African explorer by trade, Sir Malcolm has paid a heavy price for his exciting career. Although his stately mansion is filled with marvelous souvenirs of his travels, he has destroyed all of his personal relationships along the way except one: Vanessa Ives, whom he has known since childhood and considers a daughter. Vanessa is troubled and in danger, and Sir Malcolm will do everything in his power to help her and keep her safe.

Perfectly normal human male Ethan Chandler oh whoops he a werewolf omg
Played by Josh Hartnett

A dashing American who finds himself trapped in the darkest corners of Victorian London, Ethan's charm and brash ways are catnip to the ladies. Sir Malcolm enlists him to help in a personal quest, and Ethan becomes protective of the beautiful Vanessa. But behind Ethan's bright eyes lurk dark secrets. He is running from something, and his troubling past threatens to overtake him at every turn.

Sembene
Played by Danny Sapani

Sembene is an African man with ritual face scarring who serves as Sir Malcolm's sentry and confidant. He has an air of mystery about him and his heroic efforts prove invaluable to Sir Malcolm and his friends many times over.

Dr. Victor Frankenstein Yes, THAT Dr. Victor Frankenstein.
Playede by Harry Treadaway

More Romantic poet than surgeon, Dr. Frankenstein is a tender, gentle soul who is fascinated by the mysteries of life and death. He has dedicated himself to researching what makes something live, and has sacrificed everything for his scientific pursuit. He is also recruited by Sir Malcolm, and becomes a willing member of his solemn band. But the good doctor is playing with fire, and his research pays off in shocking ways with devastating personal consequences.

Brona Croft aka Mrs. The Creature
Played by Billie Piper

A poor Irish immigrant to Victorian London, Brona tries to escape a dark and sordid past. The Gaelic meaning of her name is "sadness," and she lives up to it as she valiantly fights a fatal case of consumption. Ethan Chandler is madly in love with the doomed Brona, but it is Dr. Frankenstein who has ultimate unholy plans for her.

Caliban/The Creature/Frankenstein's Monster/Emo-Stein
Played by Rory Kinnear

Dr. Frankenstein's original creation is a hideous, immortal monster whom nevertheless has a deep and anguished soul. His horrible appearance and unusual "birth" have left him a lonely, misunderstood outcast, and he is furious at his creator over his unfortunate fate. He will not rest until Dr. Frankenstein creates an immortal mate for him.

Evelyn Poole
Played by Helen McCrory

Beneath the surface of this gracious, attractive lady lies an evil wicked old witch. Evelyn Poole is a wicked, conniving practitioner of the occult. Her dark powers are great, and she recognizes an equally powerful potential kindred spirit in Vanessa. Evelyn has big plans for Vanessa, and she will do everything she can to entrap the young woman and hijack her power.

Hecate Poole
Played by Sarah Greene

Evelyn Poole's beautiful daughter is also a practitioner of the dark arts. She is completely controlled by her mother, who uses her as a dangerous and lethal weapon in her evil quest.

Ferdinand Lyle
Played by Simon Russell Beale

The eccentric, fawning Egyptologist from the British Museum's Department of Egyptian and Assyrian Antiquities is initially called upon by Sir Malcolm to help translate some unusual hieroglyphics. His expertise and connections continue to prove useful to Sir Malcolm and his friends, but can his allegiance really be trusted?

Dorian Gray
Played by Reeve Carney and his indiscriminate penis

Dorian Gray is a fabulously wealthy young gentleman who is almost unnerving in his beauty. His skin seems to radiate a golden glow of intoxicating youth and promise. A recklessly abandoned sensualist, he has a devil-may-care attitude that borders on dangerous. Nothing seems to faze him, nor are any risks too great. In fact, he is unnaturally drawn to them.

This show relishes in the absurdly wonderful dark, frightening, gory gothic tales from the era in which it's set. It's pulpy fun, when you think it can't go further it surpasses all of your fears and hopes and shows you some of the scariest, silliest, most awesome fun currently airing on TV.

Every week io9.com does great episode write ups and include updated charts of the weird relationships of the characters.

Airs on Showtime on Sundays at 10:00pm.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

I actually laughed quite loudly at the accent change and the justification speech for it. I wonder if the actors cracked up at that.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Patti Lupone was the greatest thing on an already great episode. I am so glad they had an entire episode dedicated to Green and Lupone in an acting face-off. Holy poo poo, that may have been my favorite episode of this entire series.

I was lucky enough to see Patti Lupone in the revival of "Sweeney Todd" a while back and she was incredible then, and is even more incredible now. Only better role she's ever had was as Frank Rossitano's mom on "30 Rock."

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, that's going to be really awkward when she and Ethan try to retrieve it. It might be what finally forces Ethan to confront his nature.

It'll be cool when Ethan can't cross the threshold. :woop:

Vanessa: But I thought you were a perfectly normal human male?!
Ethan: I guess not. *turns into werewolf, winks at camera, runs off to go kill cows*

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

hepscat posted:

They are creepy and they way they're using them is visually effective - but every time they HISSSSSSS I find it a little goofy.

The hissing and the wigs are pretty atrocious.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Can every episode have Vanessa and Victor shopping for ladies' undergarments? PLEASE?

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

That episode was about 20 minutes of sex.

But congrats to Victor for losing his virginity! :toot:

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Sho.com is selling Penny Dreadful Clue.

http://store.sho.com/penny-dreadful-clue-game/detail.php?p=810674&v=showtime_featured

It has already been birthday requested in my household.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Holy poo poo the blood ball was everything I have ever wanted from this show.

I wonder how hard it was to film. KEEP DANCING! IGNORE THE BLOOD AND KEEP DANCING!

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Boogaleeboo posted:

I think you all forgot what show you are watching, and need to be reminded of the central truth that they are going to keep their wolf-man fuckable.

Josh Hartnett is hot as hell in this show. :swoon:

I realized that I don't necessarily hate the character of Dorian Gray; it's Reeve Carney that I hate. He's too blase` about everything. Though that is in part to his story line since he hasn't been given anything more than *smirk* *gently caress someone* *look away wistfully* repeat.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Admoon posted:

I found this which worked for me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeB_u_2AFL4.

So they green screened the ballroom but everyone else got soaked.

That was so loving cool. I think the blood ball was by far the greatest scene of this show to date. I must've rewatched it at least ten times.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Binary Logic posted:

Agree about the blood ball but there were other notable scenes this ep.
I really like the wax museum of horrors. The owner is a great character and a right bastard. The blind woman and "Caliban your hands are cold, like you're not really alive". Complications.
And of course Sembene isn't invited to the ball, but like Dorian he is up for anything.

Ethan told him not to move from the chair and what did Sembene do? MOVED FROM THE loving CHAIR.

THAT'S IT, SEMBENE! YOU'RE FIRED!

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Kesper North posted:

Good news, scenery will continue to be chewed for a nine-episode third season:

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/penny-dreadful-season-3-showtime-john-logan-1201520756/

Hooray! Maybe during season 3 Dorian can gently caress Malcolm and Sembene, too.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Kegslayer posted:

Penny Dreadful Season 3: Sir Malcolm fucks Dorian and becomes Sir Malcolm and Dorian and Angelique and Vanessa and Ethan and Brona and Victor.

gently caress yeah. :getin:

As long as Lyle is still left out in the cold to pine away for some hot, hot werewolf rear end.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Finally got to watching last week's episode, and I was cheering during Brona/Lily's entire monologue. gently caress yeah, undead lady. Murder all of the men.

This whole season has been about the women claiming their power. And it's been awesome.

I also thought that in the hands of anyone besides these amazing actors (Beale, McCrory, Kinnear, Treadaway, Green, Sapani, etc) the heavy-handed somewhat corny dialogue would make this show a loving joke. But the cast chews the scenery with such amazing depth and gravitas, that's really what makes the show so addicting for me.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

CeeJee posted:

Helen McCrory is pretty amazing in Peaky Blinders too, without witchcraft she is a formidably powerful presence.

Oh man, I didn't even realize that was her. She's amazing :allears:

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Kegslayer posted:

Was nobody watching this tonight?

Holy poo poo everything is hosed and everyone is eeeevvviiilllll.

I just finished the episode.

............. THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

I honestly can't place if it's the writing or the actor that drags the Dorian scenes down. My feeling is they are both poor, but who knows. You'd think having a tryst with a trans woman who you then murder for finding out your secret and then loving the living corpse of a homicidal Irish hooker would be more interesting.

It doesn't help that Reeve Carney looks to be about 21. The rest of the cast is late-20s at least (Dr. Frankenstein) and generally in their early 30s and up. At 21-ish he comes across even moreso as smug and sanctimonious. Dorian is a walking douchebag who is just rallying against his parents.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed Sembene took a bite on the back of the neck in the first season.

I noticed it, too. I really thought that Sembene was going to reveal ~*~Good Vampire~*~ to Ethan after Ethan revealed his werewolfness. But here's hoping that Sembene is all right, he's one of the best characters on this show.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

God, what an amazing season finale. Lyle is quickly becoming my favorite character not just in PD, but in any tv show ever.

I was a little heart-broken at Vanessa's fantasy life with Ethan. It was so sugary sweet and light, that for just a single moment I wanted them to have that.

I was even more heart-broken when they showed Hartnett with a shaved head. That perfect bob! :cry:

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

I got the Penny Dreadful version of Clue for my birthday, and it's pretty awesome. The game board is nicely done, with different locations like the Grand Guignol theater. The only disappointing part is that the character pieces are folded cardboard that you stick into a plastic base, rather than something more durable. But overall, it's really nice artwork and a cool version of the game.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Reeve Carney has been cast as Riff Raff in the Fox updated production of "The Rocky Horror Show." He'll be starring alongside Laverne Cox (Frank N. Furter).

Carney can sing, he was the original Broadway Spider-Man in "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" but he can't really act for poo poo. His "creepy" acting on Penny Dreadful just comes across as if he were stumbling around in a GHB-induced stupor while trying to seduce teenagers. Well, maybe that is perfect for a Fox production of "The Rocky Horror Show."

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/183347/heathers-ryan-mccartan-reeve-carney-more-join-laverne-cox-for-foxs-rocky-horror/

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

Holy poo poo, that trailer was so loving good.

And they gave Josh Hartnett a haircut! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

That was a really strong first episode. Sets up the entire season, gives you just enough to be interested, and features Eva Green being absolutely amazing.

I missed this show!

• Locked thread