Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Definitely a fan of this one, despite low initial expectations. The seance scene really was amazing, though I found myself having trouble following the story that possessed-Vanessa was telling. From what she was saying (unless Malcolm had two daughters), it sounded like Mina died in Africa and was also molested by Sir Malcolm. It's more than possible that I just misunderstood what was going on though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Captain Log posted:

I do have a question - what exactly did Dorian do to kill Angelique? I couldn't quite put that together on my first watch through.

Poison. Dorian was immune because he stared at the painting right after (or I guess because he's just generally unkillable)

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Grinning Goblin posted:

Why does the vampire plotline seem to show the least amount of blood?

I love this show.

Because vampires aren't wasteful

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

So I'm a little confused by the evil entities at work in this show. Obviously Lucifer was the one who was haunting Vanessa's dreams and giving her visions, etc., and the witches last season definitely seemed to be in his employ. But in the first season, it was Dracula who took Mina, right? Everything about that seemed way more in line with his MO than Lucifer's. The thing that throws me is that there seems to be a general sense that Dracula is a "new" presence on the show, but if I'm right then he was an active antagonist before Lucifer.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I was wondering if they'd be able to get a suitable heavy to play Ethan's father, and I'll be damned if Brian Cox wasn't the perfect choice.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nothus Infelix posted:

Lobotomies didn't come into vogue until well into the 20th century. Frankenstein and Jekyll were ahead of their time.

As were Vanessa's doctors at the asylum, apparently.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Your Gay Uncle posted:

How does Dorian die? Someone has to burn his painting or something? I vaguely remember him having to look at his painting for him to die but he's done that in the show and he's fine.

In the original book he stabs the painting himself, and when they find the body it's the old and malformed one, while the painting itself has reverted to looking like him in his youth. In the show it's looking at his painting that actually heals him (or it was, before they decided he get shot and stabbed like Lily without feeling any pain or anything), so they're obviously changing the rules a bit.

He is completely screwed if Lily gets loose, because she knows where the painting is and even if she doesn't know how it connects to his immortality she at least knows that it's important to him. She's gonna burn that thing to ash.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/penny-dreadful-ending-season-3-series-finale-creator-interview-john-logan-david-nevins-1201798946/

Did you guys see this interview? Really sounds like ending the show was Logan's idea, and Nevins seems like such a fan that I actually believe him when he said Showtime would have happily made more seasons.

I actually liked the resolutions for most of the characters. I was bummed that Vanessa's was seemingly just "give up," but Logan's rationale actually rings true to me, and I like it more on reflection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

CubanMissile posted:

"I spent all season amassing an army of prostitutes for the revolution!"

"I told them to go home so they did."

To be fair, he also told them all she had been completely destroyed by him with ease, and even then it took him laughing off a stab wound to the chest to make them panic and run.

• Locked thread