Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
In line with the LoEG inspiration, I'm still expecting "Ethan Chandler" to be a pseudonym for Tom Sawyer or somesuch. Quick, which American folk heroes would be believable as a wolf-charmer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
See, I thought that this happened after he spent a long period of time wandering in the wilderness, accidentally throwing little girls into ponds and having an old blind monk light his nose on fire.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
David Warner, you are under arrest by order of David Warner!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
It was an era in which regressive moralism was used to justify new heights of exploitation made possible by the industrial revolution.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Yes! Yes, I remember that!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Clearly plenty of people enjoy this show but feel the need to trash it because they feel guilty about enjoying its middlebrown pulpiness. That's dumb.

But God, what a lousy episode. Ethan and Brona have a "I'm sorry about last night" reconciliation like she pitched a fit because he forgot to take out the garbage. Dracula's brides are introduced and used as disposable enemies like a RPG encounter. David Warner leaves the cast as soon as he joined it thanks to Frankenstein, who it turns out is Elliot Rodger. In wrestling, they call this "hotshot booking."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If you think this is why I think this show is awful, you have missed the mark.
I'm not counting people who don't like the show at all. Are you a critic, or is your wife watching or something?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
It turns out that I am the kind of guy who can enjoy a TV show a lot more because ooh! A Mauser C96!

You just know this is because one of the writers played Resident Evil 4.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Skeesix posted:

If you are looking for subtle you came to the wrong place.
Everyone who thinks this vampires-and-werewolves-and-frankensteins show is not subtle enough should be forced to watch Hemlock Grove.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
License to Kill was a gritty reboot 20 years before its time. All the complaints about Dalton's Bond seem to have little to do with Dalton himself and more to do with the franchise being in a neither-here-nor-there state at the time.

Should've given Bond a Mauser.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Brosnan always struck me as the guy tailor-made to play the 80s version of a franchise where everyone's hair is 3 inches longer in the back because it's the 80s.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Just wanted to say I'm hyped for this season. Disappointed that Van Helsing is dead and Goonenstein is still un-alive.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I am just chiming in to say that I am still watching this show religiously. I wish there was more swashbuckling and gunfighting, but the bald naked women make up for it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

hepscat posted:

Ethan's description of the siege was genuinely chilling and I'm still thinking about it today.
In this episode, a lot of people get infiltrated from the inside.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
It's been a long long time since Ethan shot anybody and I'm getting blueballs for gunslinger on vampire action.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Irish Joe posted:

After this season of Game of Thrones, its nice having a show that takes the time to get you invested in the characters and their stories rather than just frantically bouncing from set piece to set piece.
I certainly am glad this show keeps getting better, a few missteps aside, while GoT goes completely off the rails.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Mouse Dresser posted:

I noticed it, too. I really thought that Sembene was going to reveal ~*~Good Vampire~*~ to Ethan after Ethan revealed his werewolfness. But here's hoping that Sembene is all right, he's one of the best characters on this show.
That's a ridiculous notion. Sir Malcolm is taking him home, to be buried in his native soil.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Inspector 34 posted:

I was pretty let down by the final confrontation between Vanessa and the puppet. For one, the puppet was just not menacing at all. It was hard not to laugh at what's essentially a more chatty, less stabby Chucky doll. Then the solution is to just yell at the thing in the Verbis Diablo, which they made a big point of saying would corrupt you to Satan's cause. Maybe her using it will have some ramifications next season, especially with Ethan leaving and all hope of a happy normal life vanishing. I just wish they had given Vanessa something more interesting to do. The sisters can turn into ugly naked things and hide in plain sight, Madame Kali can create puppets and exert control over people, Vanessa just yells real loud and looks scary.

Other than that showdown I thought the finale was pretty drat good, though depressing as all hell. I'm interested to see how they handle season three. Are we expecting everybody to reconvene in London? Or will Ethan and Malcom have their own issues to deal with while Dorian and Lily slowly take over London society? I can't imagine Vanessa or Victor will have much reason to interact with each other or Dorian/Lily, though my lack of imagination is probably why I'm not writing tv shows.
The director has said that he's going to introduce another major monster (the Dr. Moreau thing?) and that season 3 will be a "change of pace" as they get out and away from Victorian London. I really doubt we're going to see episodes where every character is alone and the action moves between them constantly, but don't expect to see everyone playing bridge together.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
There are no penguins in the Arctic. He'll have to settle for a duplicitous romance with a blind polar bear.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
The last part of Frankenstein is Victor chasing the Creature to the Arctic; when Frankenstein dies the Creature runs off into the Arctic alone, intent on suicide.

Antarctic exploration started up again at the end of the 19th century, but it's really unlikely that the Creature could join those expeditions.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
My wife had forgotten about this show--it turns out she didn't know it was renewed--so I was able to surprise her with the premiere. I avoided mentioning it for months, and was able to spring it on her when she was having a really crappy day, so go me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I don't know what her role will be, but Dr. Seward was a character in Dracula, one of Lucy's suitors.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Or perhaps Dracula will make as short work of her as Friendzonestein did of Van Helsing, and Renfield will do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Jack of Hearts posted:

Apparently Lily's new sidekick is named Justine. Heh.
How did I miss that?!

PostNouveau posted:

That blood orgy was the grossest thing I've seen in awhile.
My wife and I felt...differently.

• Locked thread