Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Boy, this show can spin its wheels. I hate Dorian Gray the most for this. Every time he shows up, everything gets put on hold for 20 minutes while he tries to gently caress whoever is in his field of vision.

Eva Green plays crazy really, really well. She also gives a really rousing performance in the "300" sequel, playing a real psychopathic turncoat Greek.

Edit: Oh yeah, that vampire fight was loving laughable. The 3 of them must have killed, what, 15 or so?

One thing I'd like to point out as a counterpoint to the 'how did so many vampires get slaughtered so easily' argument is that we really don't know what powers and abilities they have, if any. Sure the lead one has super strength, but we don't know what his underlings could do. Van Helsing advocated putting a stake through the heart and beheading, but seemingly bullets work just as well or glass shards into the skull.

We simply can't assume that all the folklore around vampires or any other monsters are true in the Penny Dreadful world. Just pretend everything you know comes from the penny dreadful Van Helsing gave to Frankenstein, theres a seed of truth and then a lot of made up sensationalism.

If you can't do that, then I'd think you'd still have a bigger issue with why Frankenstein's monster isn't a lumbering flat-top-skull bolts in the neck wearing a bad suit monster with no intelligence.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

OK can someone explain to me what Friendzonestein was painting his face for? Like maybe he thought he'd make himself look less pale and freakish with a bit of makeup but he did it like they do on stage so that people in the back rows can see it. What the hell?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Kazanir posted:

The "what the hell" is sort of the point. He doesn't really know how to use makeup, he wants to appear more attractive to Maude, and he is basically desperate and flailing. Imagine a nerdy teenager with lots of acne meeting a girl for the first time, only he has super strength and a temper. Welp.

I thought the parallels and contrasts between Caliban's rejection and Dorian's rejection were great -- Dorian is totally bewildered and confused, but for Caliban the experience (along with his own lack of control) leads him to personal insights.

Yeah but I mean he'd done some traveling around before he was taken in by the theater manager and he's walked around the streets to stalk Frankenstein so he's got to have seen what normal makeup looks like when its worn by normal people. Then instead of emulating that he mashes it on his face like clown makeup. If 'what the hell' was the point, mission accomplished. Most baffling part of that episode for me.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Or more simply, the coven doesn't want Vanessa dead, but not entirely sure what they want her for. To have Satan's baby?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

The set for Dorian's weird-rear end gallery of a billion pictures is fairly sparse aside from the paintings and the production definitely has multiples of each in props. There might've been a few wide shots where the blood was CG or digitally enhanced but for the most part it was definitely practical. Not that difficult to shoot the scenes out of sequence and save the blood shower stuff for last, wrap the episode and clean the place up for whenever you shoot the set next.

Its actually just over 200 pictures, that they had to license and then print onto special textured paper and then treat to make it look painted, plus the frames. I think its their second most expensive set (the first being the theater they built that emo-stien worked at) despite how sparse it appears. Also they have very few copies of props and costumes, theres been a few scenes where they only had 2 dresses or whatever so there was a lot of pressure to get it right. The majority of their props arent theirs, they rent them so it'd suck if they got stained or damaged.

So I dunno.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Wax Lion posted:

I would love to know what the budget is on this show. Because to my eyes, it's the most expensive looking production on television other than Game of Thrones. There are so many scenes with dozens of extras walking around in full period costume. The episode with table tennis has a full blown fair going on outside that wasn't even necessary to the plot or acknowledged by any of the characters (unless I missed something). It's such a pleasure to drink it all in.

I heard a rumor the budget was lower this season, I wonder if it's true? I certainly can't tell.

Its a mix. I have the Penny Dreadful production book and they cg a lot of people in, more so the outdoors stuff so they have pictures of a handful of people in costume hanging out infront of a green screen but after its done it looks like the whole town turned up.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

well god drat what the gently caress. bloody ball all over again....

EDIT: da fuk. dafuk.

What a great episode.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 6, 2015

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Really wasn't expecting Dracula to show up at the end. I thought the vampire from the first season was the only who could make other vampires? He was Satan's brother or something?

The Master. My coworker and I were talking about that, and how unfortunate it is they already killed off Van Hellsing.

Im not clear on who the brother of Satan is. The recap made a point of reminding us of the story of two falling from heaven, one to earth and one to hell. If last season was the one from Hell could Dracula be the one that fell to earth, and if any of the characters were guessing it was the Master they wouldn't see him coming then?

I'm sad they didnt do a production notes book like they did for the first season.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Great episode... Seriously great writing and performances in this show.

Also I wanna say that 'modern medicine and medical science' back then scares the poo poo out of me and I did not need to be reminded they drilled into her head before.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

My co-worker came into today and I asked him how he liked the last episode. Hated it, "the whole episode was in just one room". How do I get him fired?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

CubanMissile posted:

"Oh hey Doc Frank, what a nice coincidence you came out that room! Care to join us for the final battle now that you've become an expert pistoleer in your spare time? I doesn't matter anyway since the villain is just gonna dip out."

Weren't all the attackers pretty much point blank range? Did I miss him doing trick shots or something?

• Locked thread