Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Seance scene was amazing. Eva Green sold it. And I really appreciate how sparing they are with special effects. I was expecting them to make her eyes weird or something. Nope! Just 100% pure Eva Green.

I also really like Brona, so far. I hope she clears up that consumption!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

eriktown posted:

Like I said in the OP, the only folks who die of consumption in Victorian fiction are people who are literally too good for this world. Brona's a hard-drinking saucy wench; I think she'll be fine.

Mind you, she might end up with a slight case of vampirism or something.

You make good points on both counts. I have the same vampiric suspicions. There's also the maybe-Ripper running about. Hang in there, Brona.

amaranthine posted:

First episode was good enough that I wanted to watch more - second episode was just fantastic.

Show's really good. Except for the ending of the second episode, which was the worst.

I really liked Proteus :(

I shrieked at my poor laptop. I really liked Victor for most of the episode, and that ending had me questioning his methods. You done messed up the first time, Victor!

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

the kawaiiest posted:

I can't decide if I like this show or not. There's something about it that makes me want to keep watching, but some of the acting is just... ugh. I don't know. I'm gonna stick with it for now since it's just starting and might get a lot better, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I will probably watch the entire run and never know if I actually like the show or not. That's how I always feel about HBO/Showtime shows. Still, I loved that seance scene. Here's hoping for more of that.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Liked this episode much better than the previous. Also, is it just me or was there a nice little touch with Ethan wiping blood from what appears to be a cut only for there to be no cut left?

Cat scene cracked me up. So abrupt, so efficient.

TheMopeSquad posted:

Never drink absinthe with Dorian Gray.

I'm not sure how I feel about this scene. The inclusion of the absynthe makes it a little uncomfortably close to getting someone drunk and taking advantage of them. Dorian gives me a very Lord Byron feel, so he swings every way where there's a hole, presumably, but I'm not so sure about Ethan. I guess it helps that he's making the moves though!

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

eriktown posted:

I kind of have a feeling that being able to seduce anyone and make them desire him is one of Gray's superpowers.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm pretty sure that's the point. Dorian Gray is not a good person. In the original novella he pretty much goes around destroying one person's life after another.

Good points.

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Thank you for mentioning these. I've spent all morning at work reading these recaps while I'm backing up files and they're hilarious. I can't wait to see the recap for episode 5, it's so different than the rest of the season has been so far and answers so many questions, I'm dying for everyone else to see it too.

Tease!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
My thought was that since Victor reminds him of his son, he was taken to the memories of traveling after working with Victor a bit - even though, as we seem to have learned, those travels ended up killing his son. Vicious cycle?

I agree that it felt out of place and incomplete, just a setup for the later conversation with Victor.

• Locked thread