Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

JGdmn posted:

Isn't that game generally won by the visitors? I mean in the Saban/Miles years at least?

Not particularly, seems pretty evenly split between home and away. Since Saban's been at Alabama LSU is 1-2 at home against the Crimson Tide and Alabama is 2-2 at home against the Tigers. It slightly favors the away team, but not significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

dude789 posted:

Not particularly, seems pretty evenly split between home and away. Since Saban's been at Alabama LSU is 1-2 at home against the Crimson Tide and Alabama is 2-2 at home against the Tigers. It slightly favors the away team, but not significantly.

Yeah and it seems like LSU is overdue for a win. I'm hoping we beat Auburn but I already feel kind of resigned LSU gets us this year. Strangely enough the team I'm worried about besides you guys is Tennessee--this is really the year Butch Jones puts up or shuts up, and Lane Kiffin hate will fuel them, and it's at Neyland.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jaguars hopes and dreams:
Bortles is so terrible that Gus Bradley and David Caldwell get fired after the season because they picked such a bad player at #3 overall when other non-QB top level talent was available.

R.D. Mangles posted:

My biggest hope for the NFL season is bortles.

You arent a Jaguars fan!

Real Seahawks East hopes and dreams:
Henne is competent enough and healthy enough to keep Bortles off the field.
The free-agent corpses that Gus Bradley recruited on the D-Line help the talent starved Defense be not terrible.
Joekle returns from his injury and isnt Real Bad.
The rest of the O-Line finds a way to be competent.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I didn't do one for my college team let's do that

UNLV Rebels
Find a good replacement for Tim Cornett: Even if he wasn't the best, he produced a lot for the team. Gotta replicate that or we won't have a lot of success.

Have a cool and good QB: Sure, Caleb Herring could get the job done sometimes by running the ball, but I would enjoy a QB that could pass decently. Oh, and maybe keep the running there too.

Keep the Fremont Cannon: There's no postseason play even if we qualified, so this season is going out with the battle. It would be great to not lose to the UNR scum.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Bills
Don't move away :(
Beat New England and Miami at least once.
Make this year's Bills vs. Browns the most epic game every played.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
I'll do one for my Alma Mater as well, because it's slow and why not?
Bowling Green State University
Realistic ones:
- Win MAC East title
- Split Indiana/Wisconsin
- Beat Toledo. We've lost to these fuckers 4 years in a row, I'm done with that
- Stay Healthy, it's already been an ugly offseason losing Chris Gallon

Hopeful:
- Win the MAC again
- Keep the intensity on defense that we had last year. That was great
- Win a drat Bowl Game
- Undefeated in MAC

Dreaming:
- 13-0
- Matt Johnson gets invited to NYC for the Heisman Trophy award (I know he won't win)

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I hope Mark Richt gets fired.

My goal is to see Mark Richt get fired.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I hope Mark Richt gets fired.

My goal is to see Mark Richt get fired.

Mark Richt has the highest win percentage of any Georgia Coach since the 1920s.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Raku posted:

Mark Richt has the highest win percentage of any Georgia Coach since the 1920s.

And all those national titles too!

Not to mention the SEC titles now that the SEC isn't a two horse race!

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 9, 2014

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

And all those national titles too!

Not to mention the SEC titles now that the SEC isn't a two horse race!

He came within a hair's breadth when they nearly beat Saban in 2012. He's never had a bowl-less season, and the only *bad* one was the 6-7 2010 team. Who the hell do you think you can actually hire and get better results?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Someone needs to take over for Texas fans...

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Raku posted:

He came within a hair's breadth when they nearly beat Saban in 2012. He's never had a bowl-less season, and the only *bad* one was the 6-7 2010 team. Who the hell do you think you can actually hire and get better results?

Kirby Smart

Realistically, I hope for a trip to Atlanta, another crushing loss because we're UGA, then a pity trip to Orlando.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Raiders

1) Not poo poo ourselves
2) Not poo poo on each other

I think at least 50% of that is obtainable this season.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'm not as optimistic about this season for Alabama as I've been in years past. Since 2008, I've sincerely believed that Alabama's toughest opponent in every game it played was itself, which was pretty much true. The only times they had their rear end kicked in that stretch were the two Sugar Bowls (Utah, 2009; Oklahoma, 2014) and the 2010 game against South Carolina. In a six season stretch, that's pretty drat good. This year, unless they un-complicated the defense a little bit, Auburn, LSU and Tennessee could be good chances to lose games, because I really believe teams have just simply figured out about as close to a formula to beat Alabama as there is going to be.

I also don't particularly care for the recent coaching changes. We have a bunch of awesome recruiters now, most of whom with questionable coaching acumen.

Now that my complaints are out of the way...

Hopes and goals for Alabama:

1. Run more base defense and simplify things (a la LSU and FSU) because that is actually the best way to counter up-tempo offenses.
2. Develop a kicker (not happening, but this is a hope!)
3. The team has better chemistry this year than in 2013 and shows any character when adversity hits.
4. Lane Kiffin doesn't continue to be the worst coach on the field in every game.

Switching gears to NFL and the Saints.

Rob Ryan is my new favorite coach on staff, and I love the direction the defense is headed. The team was actually fun to watch when 2007-esque Sean Payton playcalling wasn't bogging the offense down at times, especially early in the season. I'm much more confident about their prospects.

Hopes and goals for the Saints:

1. The defense keeps improving.
2. The offensive balance with running the ball we saw at the end of 2013 continues, because it worked!
3. Mark Ingram keeps developing as a legitimate NFL-caliber back (this is wholly dependent on item #2 I think.)
4. A consistent placekicker is found.
5. Jimmy Graham at some point learns to block and be physical

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bort Bortles posted:

Jaguars hopes and dreams:
Bortles is so terrible that Gus Bradley and David Caldwell get fired after the season because they picked such a bad player at #3 overall when other non-QB top level talent was available.

You make me so sad sometimes :(

HOPES:
Beat the Texans and Titans, one each
Dont be an embarrassment against the Cowboys
Bortles never has to start, Henne stays healthy

DREAMS
Sweep the Texans and Titans, Win in London, Pozluzny somehow gains immortality, Gus Bradly obtains football enlightenment and becomes NFL Buddha, Jaxon DeVille comes to my birthday party.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Suspect Bucket posted:

You make me so sad sometimes :(

HOPES:
Beat the Texans and Titans, one each
Dont be an embarrassment against the Cowboys
Bortles never has to start, Henne stays healthy
I only hurt you because I love you. I was really upset about the Bortles pick for about two weeks but I did some research and saw all the evaluations of him and the draft and have bought in. I just would have been way happier with Sammy Watkins on the team. Part of the easing of my pain w/r/t Bort being the pick is that we got two really good WR prospects in round 2.

Suspect Bucket posted:

DREAMS
Sweep the Texans and Titans, Win in London, Pozluzny somehow gains immortality, Gus Bradly obtains football enlightenment and becomes NFL Buddha, Jaxon DeVille comes to my birthday party.
:allears:

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

I just want the Ravens offense to not be complete poo poo this year. The defense was great last year but got burned in the 4th quarter by big plays since they were all exhausted from being on the field for 90% of the game.

If we have anything close to representing an offensive line and a mediocre running attack, they should be at least formidable this season.

My main hope is just to get Torrey Smith extended ASAP before he has a monster season and wants a Mike Wallace contract or something like that.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Sour Diesel posted:

I just want the Ravens offense to not be complete poo poo this year. The defense was great last year but got burned in the 4th quarter by big plays since they were all exhausted from being on the field for 90% of the game.

If we have anything close to representing an offensive line and a mediocre running attack, they should be at least formidable this season.

This, but for the Giants. Almost word for word. Our defense deserved better than the pile of dog poo we put out on offense.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The Giants and Ravens were mirror images of one another last year.

Good quarterbacks with meh receiving targets and no rushing game throwing up a huge amount of interceptions behind some of the worst o-line play seen in the past decade.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Good quarterbacks with meh receiving targets and no rushing game throwing up a huge amount of interceptions behind some of the worst o-line play seen in the past decade.

I understand your olines were bad but lets not be extreme here.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

I understand your olines were bad but lets not be extreme here.

Watch our games against the Panthers and Chiefs. It's like the line didn't exist. I know those defenses are good, but they didn't even have to try.

It got better later in the year though so yeah, a touch hyperbole. It was the worst Giants line I'd ever seen though for what it's worth.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Hahaha. You just referred to Eli Manning as a good quarterback.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MrLogan posted:

Truth is funny to some people like you I guess?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I've been there man. It gets better.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

MrLogan posted:

Eli owns :mad:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I hope the Chargers can get to and win the Super Bowl, but I do that every year and eventually I'm going to kill myself over it.

Realistically, winning a playoff game, getting better in the secondary and taking a game from the Broncos would work for me.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I'd be happy with 8-8 after the meatgrinder of a schedule the AFC West faces this year. I don't think anybody else but Denver from the west is going to the playoffs.

Oh, and Jeromey Clary to be sent packing. I've been saying that since at least 09, but still.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Breaky posted:

Truth is funny to some people like you I guess?
1.5 good seasons after 9 years in the league counts as good? He's not terrible, but he's a below average QB over the length of his career.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Titans

-transition from 4-3 to 3-4 isn't disastrous
-locker plays entire season injury free
-locker proves to be a franchise qb
-have a top 10 oline
-sweep jags
-murder luck
-split texans
-win division
-trade shonn green and/or mccluster for anything

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Metapod posted:

-trade shonn green and/or mccluster for anything

Where did you find enough time to come around to hating McCluster already? Not that I blame you too much, but he's got at least some value as a returner.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

he sucks and i hate him

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Where did you find enough time to come around to hating McCluster already? Not that I blame you too much, but he's got at least some value as a returner.

I have watched plenty of chiefs games to know who he is, what he does, and it pains me that he is on my team now.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

MrLogan posted:

1.5 good seasons after 9 years in the league counts as good? He's not terrible, but he's a below average QB over the length of his career.

Eli has been ranked around #10 by Football Outsiders (Which is normally pretty mean to Eli and the Giants offense in general) since 2008, the first year after the 2007 SB. ESPN and QBR has him slightly higher on average. Outside last year of course, but last year was a perfect storm of suck and it's hard to pinpoint just how much blame he deserves. Certainly not all of it.

He's not great, and he's inconsistent, but he is not below average. He really found himself in 2007's postseason and has looked different since.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Febreeze posted:

Eli has been ranked around #10 by Football Outsiders (Which is normally pretty mean to Eli and the Giants offense in general) since 2008, the first year after the 2007 SB. ESPN and QBR has him slightly higher on average. Outside last year of course, but last year was a perfect storm of suck and it's hard to pinpoint just how much blame he deserves. Certainly not all of it.

He's not great, and he's inconsistent, but he is not below average. He really found himself in 2007's postseason and has looked different since.

he has two rings and that totally makes him an elite QB because you can't be a great or even good QB without dumb idiot rings.

so sayeth febreeze

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Eli is inconsistent but when he's on he's really fun to watch. Same goes for Joe. Since the Ravens' only QB that wasn't awful in franchise history before Joe was a worn down McNair, I'll always think Joe is awesome because of that.

I guess I just like giant dork QBs who are streaky but will randomly pull a miracle play out of their rear end. Both QBs can put a game on their shoulders (though not reliably).

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

he has two rings and that totally makes him an elite QB because you can't be a great or even good QB without dumb idiot rings.

well yea duh this is why dan marino is bad

Sour Diesel fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 23, 2014

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

so sayeth febreeze

lets do some math 2 eli rings divided phillip "zero" ""ringless"" rivers = eli is infinitely better than your garbage not-ringhaving quarterback. numbers don't lie. and now to skip with today's Hot Take

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The rings argument only kind of works when your QB also played like a beast in the playoffs and superbowl for both of them.

Dude's had like what 2 bad seasons otherwise he's real good.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Febreeze posted:

Ignoring his first four years of pretty bad play will make his career look better overall. :) Same if you discount 2011 and/or 2009, his career stats look terrible. I'll split the difference in the argument between below average and above average and call him an average QB.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Eli Manning denied the Patriots of two Super Bowls. I will declare him the greatest of all time because of this and will brook no argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

For college, I just want to see WSU improving. Tall order to be certain, but hopefully we can be more than a speed bump for the other teams in the PAC-12. Also a player died during workouts this week. :smith:

I really hope the NFC West is as fun to watch this year as it was last year, and I really want the Cardinals to make it into the playoffs.

• Locked thread