Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hedera Helix posted:

Does this mean that it's possible to affect what is (or isn't) dropped by using savestates to change when the battle ends? I know that that works for stealing.
I just did this, so yes. Got Dragon's Whisker in a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Nihilarian posted:

I just did this, so yes. Got Dragon's Whisker in a few minutes.

:aaa:

:cry:

So many hours wasted, trying to get Wall Rings... although, the time I tried playing FF9, compulsively doing the save-and-reload thing with steals and Chocobo Hot and Cold ruined my enjoyment of the game. And besides, if you need lots and lots of an item, such as Elixirs, it would take even longer than if you fought the enemies normally on fast-forward.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Bob Locke posted:

Gilgabot wasn't accepting my victory tweets so I just sent a tweet informing RK of this, he followed me with gilgabot, told me to try again, and it worked fine. Took like a day.

Gilgabot is seeing some people's tweets but not others. Maybe Twitter changed something, since this only started happening this month. Maybe RK isn't seeing your tweets either?

I suppose it's possible, I tweeted RK on the 27th and never got a response from him. I guess all I can do at this point is try to tweet my victory again to Gilgabot and hope it goes through.

EDIT: Nope, tried tweeting Gilgabot again and still no response after five minutes. Guess my fourth run will be marked as unfinished. drat. :(

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 30, 2014

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Have you checked if your FJF player page got updated?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah I've been checking it the past few days, still no victory marks, and no responses from Gilgabot or RK despite my tweeting. There's nothing else I can do at this point.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Chemist just makes Exdeath a chump. I didn't even take damage.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Spikey posted:

Chemist just makes Exdeath every boss a chump.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

^ So does bard, once you get that speed song.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah I've been checking it the past few days, still no victory marks, and no responses from Gilgabot or RK despite my tweeting. There's nothing else I can do at this point.

Mind shooting a link to your twitter (here, or in PM to me if you prefer)? I figure either:

- I'll be able to see it, identify nothing wrong with your tweets, and offer a consolation shrug.
- I'll be able to see it, and point out that you misspelled victory or something.
- I won't be able to see it, and point out that's probably the problem.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Run #4 - Random, Thief/Berserker/White Mage/Knight

This is my last run for real this time. I mean it. There's no time for another run. I wound up getting some of my favorite classes for it, although maybe not in the order that would have served me best in the early game. (Byblos was a bitch and a half and I had to grind some levels to down him.) I went to the bother of stealing a Gaia Hammer from Titan, and it paid off nicely because a Berserker with White tossed on it can do silly amounts of damage with those random earthshakers all throughout World 2. This is also the first run that I've ever gotten a White Mage, and having access to all those useful spells makes a huge difference. Bosses that previously required Reflect Rings or odd setups to work around nasty attacks could just be faced head-on, because I had Protect, Shell, Esuna, Dispel, and Curaga. Oh man, Curaga, how did I ever live without you? I also messed around with throwing different secondary skills on my White Mage. Equip Axes for comedy Gaia Hammer times, Artful Dodger for out-speeding Shinryu's tidal wave... but I settled on Equip Shields for the final fight, and it paid off. Having an Aegis Shield on my White Mage and my Knight really helped save them from nasty, nasty things. I spammed White Holy, used Mug with the Chicken Knife, let the 'zerk do his thing, and my Knight either swung a sword or spammed utility White Magic to keep things going. A long fight, but one that I knew from the start that I had in the bag.

Oh yeah, and I offed Shinryu via abuse of Berserk and Blink. I love you, White Mage. You make everything easy.

FeatherFloat fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 31, 2014

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Vil posted:

Mind shooting a link to your twitter (here, or in PM to me if you prefer)? I figure either:

- I'll be able to see it, identify nothing wrong with your tweets, and offer a consolation shrug.
- I'll be able to see it, and point out that you misspelled victory or something.
- I won't be able to see it, and point out that's probably the problem.

I don't mind, I only use it for FJF stuff.

https://twitter.com/kaemmerite

Even tried following RK and then tweeting at him again asking what was up, but I don't think my tweets are getting through to him either.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Well, I did hear something about Gilgabot not getting everything for a while...

But yeah, your twitter's publicly visible, and your tweets are correctly formed. The only thing that strikes me as unusual and possibly Gilgabot-confusing is that your Omega and Shinryu victory tweets came before your general victory tweet. I remember something from previous years about how Omega/Shinryu only counted for the fiesta once you beat Exdeath, although I don't see anything like that in the current rules. And at worst that would just mean you'd have to re-tweet Omega/Shinryu.

So yeah, I guess I'm just going to join you in shrugging. Sorry, wish there were something more specific/helpful I could offer.

Maybe re-upload your victory image (so the URL is different and it's not technically a duplicate of the same tweet that Gilgabot missed earlier?) and try #victory one last time with the new upload? Kinda grasping at straws here, though.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Alright, tried that, I doubt it'll work but that's pretty much it short of hunting down RK's email and emailing him personally, since I don't know why my tweets to him aren't going through either. I wonder if it's because I have so few tweets and followers and the like, like this is some sort of anti-spam prevention thing Twitter has created so that someone can't make a spambot account and just flood someone's wall with tweets.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

You could also post on the subreddit. RK checks it pretty regularly.

I'll also poke him for you.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
When exactly does the FJF end? Want to see if I have time to finish the second run I've been putting off for a month or so (think it's Blue/Black/Time/Geo @ Barrier Tower).

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Mega64 posted:

When exactly does the FJF end? Want to see if I have time to finish the second run I've been putting off for a month or so (think it's Blue/Black/Time/Geo @ Barrier Tower).

It ends September 1st. I don't know about an exact time, so I'm just assuming that you've got until midnight tonight. You should manage it as long as you don't putz around and have an emulator with fast-forward that you're willing to abuse. You might want to aim for a few hours early though, so Gilgabot has time to process your victory tweet.

Also, try to get Omega since you've got a Time Mage!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

You could also post on the subreddit. RK checks it pretty regularly.

I'll also poke him for you.

Thank you very much! Gilga is following me and the victory tweet went through! Greatly appreciated that my last run of the year can be officially logged as a three-boss win.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Oh crap. I stopped right before the end of world two and am trying to catch up. Right now I'm trying to kill omega. I have a chemist/time/white/geomancer group.

I can use dark sigh and then quick to wait out omega's health right?

Edit: Oh right, a bio rod. I did both, hopefully with the emulator running at 10x speed it'll go quick enough. I just wish I could see the damage actually being done by the hp leak.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 31, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I just remembered I have a run waiting. I've got from now until midnight tonight to get from the basement of Bal to beating Ned.

LET'S GO :black101:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
You can actually kill Gilgamesh in Castle Exdeath?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Look, Geomancers are still useful in World 3! :unsmith:

And done. I really did want to get more runs in this year, but I got burned out, partially from doing a non-official run (which was honestly a bit more fun than this one was), and just in general from the fact that my second run last year was also a Blue Mage/Chemist run, so once I got to the save point outside Omega's little stretch of the Rift, I was just like :effort:.

Either way, still looking forward to 2015!

... Also, surprised nobody did one of those Neo-Exdeath .gifs of the Berserker Tree spilling out a bunch of Berserkers.

THE LAWS OF BERSERKER RISK ARE :black101:!

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Left it till the last day again.

gently caress having three monks.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

gently caress everyone

Vogelspinne
Dec 16, 2010
Finished my run awhile ago but I decided to paint my party because it was so amazing. I'm pretty sure Knight/Mystic Knight/Bard/Chemist is one of if not the most overpowered parties. I had absolutely no issues with any of the content, even went the brave blade route because random encounters were so short and easy. Every single class pulled its weight equally.

And painting, in case anyone cared:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Swap the knight out for a blue mage and you've got what's generally considered the best possible party for a fiesta run.

(Somebody ought to do an LP with blue mage/mystic knight/bard/chemist and show off exactly how badly that team breaks the game.)

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

And it is done! Thankfully I remembered to check the end date this Friday or I would have missed it.

First Omega Kill! :toot:
I can't believe how easy that was compared to what I had to put up with for the last fiesta. Hp leak is normally really insignificant, but that really felt cheap.

Shinryu, killed the same way as last time, standard berserk and blink. This time I had a white mage, so no mirage vest or item fuckery with me.

This was the first time I actually gave a chemist a shot in this game. To be honest, I didn't even end up using their awesome abilities that much as I had a time and white mage as well. But man, Succubus Kiss is way too powerful for what it costs, it's even stronger than the dark matter mixes, even at a super high level. It's a good thing too, because until I got holy and meteor, that was my only real damaging move. It's also magic based, so it sucks I couldn't have !White and !Mix together on the chemist. My other classes did all have high magic, so that was nice.
I'll admit, I did forget about all it could do as I didn't have a chart in front of me. Dragon kiss's ability to simply negate most instant death attacks was amazing, and of course I had to bulk up in the first part of the final boss fight.

Man, this game is so... balanced with a white mage. If you don't get anything capable of doing damage that is. Early on it's horrifically underpowered, and of course once you get holy you're set. To be honest, I had a huge problem with non-boss fights as I tended to never apply buffs. I don't think this was the party to go in fast forwarded all the time I suppose.

Man, I just remembered I barely used any of time magic's cool poo poo. Granted I didn't have any until world two, and then I forgot about the game until like yesterday. This guy ended up being my damage dealing early on, as it could use daggers. Let me tell you, needing two time mages in the front row to plink away some of the early game bosses was not fun.

Hahaha, man. You know most people say geomancers suck, but really with the right additions they can be good enough. Like, out of the four jobs I got this one had the highest strength, so it became my dancing dagger enthusiast. Up until world 3 !Gaia was my only real means of damage as well. I mean until I learned about succubus kiss that is, but I didn't want to waste all my turtle shells. Of which I used all but like 30 of them out of a maximum stack. The prototypes in the desert can be completely locked down just by spamming !Gaia, I found out. Wind slash is always great, though it starts becoming rarer and rarer. Honestly their high magic was useful until I got into the rift, as it made a good !Mix user. Once I got into the rift that was no longer the case, as I could now get a rune chime off of a drop in there. Rune Chime boosts all, or most, elements. So after I got mine from the first battle I found the right enemy in, I enjoyed a nice boosted holy the same strength as my white mage. But because I had a maxed !White, I got all of the white mage's magic stat, rendering geomancer's sweet magic stat moot. That was literally in the final dungeon though, so whatever.

Also make absolute sure you get 4 reflect rings no matter what. It is so helpful, I'm never not gonna farm reflect knights in my future playthroughs.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sprite141 posted:

Also make absolute sure you get 4 reflect rings no matter what. It is so helpful, I'm never not gonna farm reflect knights in my future playthroughs.

Eh. They're handy but I don't think I bothered farming any after my first play through. I'm sure there are parties where they're necessary but there's generally a way around it based on party composition.

I just really, really hate the Barrier Tower.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Poque posted:

Eh. They're handy but I don't think I bothered farming any after my first play through. I'm sure there are parties where they're necessary but there's generally a way around it based on party composition.

I just really, really hate the Barrier Tower.

Basically, they're a way to survive the Seal Guardians and Exdeath without grinding for levels/HP. I never used Reflect Rings in a single run past those two fights, and in any party with GOOD damage output or strong healing, you have no need for them whatsoever.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Reflect Rings are fantastic. Reflect is pretty much the only way I can beat Neo Exdeath without Bard or Chemist. I don't know why but because of that I've actually stopped going out of my way to grab Hermes Sandals.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I guess I did only have one bardless run. :v:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Sodium Chloride posted:

Left it till the last day again.

gently caress having three monks.

MY BROTHER

At least you got a Knight instead of a Red Mage for your fourth class.

Mman
Nov 11, 2007
It's a little late now but since I did it last year I thought I go over my victories:

My first run was classic with White Mage/Thief/Black Mage/Knight:

...Yeah, I basically hit the jackpot on a no-redundancy classic party, even if the unlock order was slightly awkward; there's probably some classic parties with redundancies that technically have more overall survival power and brute force, but none with the overall versatility of this. Outside of one or two small lapses in strength and the slow early game I pretty much walked over everything, including Neo-Exdeath. I was also able to go kill Shinryu easily due to image+berserk+Knight. I couldn't think of any easy ways to beat Omega though so I didn't bother.

Second time I decided to try a no 750 party and got Monk/Mystic Knight/Beastmaster/Samurai:

Mystic Knight and Samurai held this run together and made it mostly smooth, plus I got Monk at the best time I could so at least I got full use out of that class before it's strength dropped off. Beastmaster had it's moments but I admit I didn't make much use of it's abilities, but the other two non-Monks were good enough for it not to matter and Zeninage spam sorted out any potential endgame brick walls. Neo-Exdeath? :lol: Between Break Blade, Magic Lamp and Zeninage it didn't even get the chance to use any of it's nastier attacks. Due to Calm+Spellblade I was also able to kill Omega pretty easily. This time I couldn't think of any good Shinryu strategy (although I imagine there's some Beastmaster releases that could do it), so I didn't try.

Mman fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 1, 2014

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

... Also, surprised nobody did one of those Neo-Exdeath .gifs of the Berserker Tree spilling out a bunch of Berserkers.

I just had a horrible idea of the first form of X-Death "What is this pow..ugh!" and vomiting berserkers ala meteor until everyone dies.

Consider yourself fortunate I'm not that good at making .gifs from scratch

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Poque posted:

I guess I did only have one bardless run. :v:

I had only one Summoner-less run! And if I hadn't Job Fair'd for Chemist, I would have had only one Geomancer-less run.

Mman posted:

This time I couldn't think of any good Shinryu strategy (although I imagine there's some Beastmaster releases that could do it), so I didn't try.

I think the trick is you can catch a Mammon (the tree enemies) which uses Berserk when it's released, though as it casts it on a party member, you need to have at least one person wearing a Reflect Ring so it bounces onto Shinryu, then you just do the usual attack while reviving anyone who gets knocked down.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

it's now August here - I pledge $1 (up to $30) for every NEW goon NeoExdeath kill from here til the end of the thing, and an additional $20 for any new NED kill that I personally do, no limit.

Congrats ya'll, we got 30! Donated.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Vogelspinne posted:

And painting, in case anyone cared:

Also, I love this. It's so nice that you included Galuf, too. :unsmith:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

In Dragondarch-related news, he managed to have difficulties killing Omega and Shinryu with White Mage/Red Mage/Blue Mage/Chemist. Yes, I'm serious.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Okay Omega I can see because I had to try him two or three times even with a Chemist, especially if you don't get a preemptive strike you might have some problems. But Shinryu? HOW?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
It was really cool taking part in this. Is there anything else that gives a similar feeling for working together while doing something singleplayer?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kyrosiris posted:

In Dragondarch-related news, he managed to have difficulties killing Omega and Shinryu with White Mage/Red Mage/Blue Mage/Chemist. Yes, I'm serious.

Thing I'll miss most from this year is .dd in IRC chat.

His Seal Guardian strategy will always be the most convoluted boss strategy I'll ever see for this game. Especially when it turned out he didn't need to bother doing any of it and could've just spammed !Dance the entire time.

e: I hope he "speedruns" again next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

What was CarbyBot's Ronka Speed Trap number this year? And how many of those were just alcharagia?

• Locked thread