Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Right, because I don't have enough things to do, I'll try this. Time to fail miserably!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I ended up crapping out last year at the third crystal when I ended up Thief/Monk/Knight... just lost interest from the boredom of auto-attacking my way through everything and thinking about my likely limited options come second and third world. :negative:

Gonna try again this year, gotta make up for my shame!

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
My biggest hope for this year is that I don't get stuck with Monk again. Both of my runs last year had one, (granted, one of those runs was No 750, so at least I didn't get thief) and I'd like to do something other than punch things this time.

Well, at least it'll be easier than my solo Time Mage run was, at any rate.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Is there a breakdown anywhere of the nuances of each run type? Like, what's the No750 thing about?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

univbee posted:

Is there a breakdown anywhere of the nuances of each run type? Like, what's the No750 thing about?

No 750 is no Rod using classes. (Rods cost 750 gil, hence the name.) 750 is the complete opposite.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This year's the year. The first time I got bored and never finished. The second time I got a pure physical team (knight, berserker, ranger, dragoon, aka Team Auto-Fight) and got stuck in the cleft of dimension. But this year, I WILL complete at least one run.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

univbee posted:

Basically, No-750 removes the magic-using jobs as options, and 750 removes the physical jobs as options. I forget the exact splits though.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Saigyouji posted:

No 750 is no Rod using classes. (Rods cost 750 gil, hence the name.) 750 is the complete opposite.

It's not quite exactly that - the last crystal has no rod-users, so I think 750 includes a couple extra jobs.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

univbee posted:

The help section from last year is still up (but not featured on the main page yet) and covers the different types of runs.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ProfessorProf posted:

the last crystal has no rod-users, so I think 750 includes a couple extra jobs.

Yeah, Chemist and Dancer.

750's White Mage, Black Mage, Blue Mage, Red Mage, Time Mage, Summoner, Geomancer, Bard, Chemist and Dancer.

No750's Monk, Thief, Knight, Mage Knight, Berserker, Ninja, Beastmaster, Ranger, Samurai and Dragoon.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

It's not quite exactly that - the last crystal has no rod-users, so I think 750 includes a couple extra jobs.

Yeah, I kinda forgot that, since I've never actually had any Earth job other than Dragoon, and I haven't played FFV normally in years.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Kind of bummed about no rk stream this year, but real life being what it is, it's understandable.

Regardless, getting hyped up for this again. Four Job Fiesta's my favorite way to play FF5. And it's for a good cause, too!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
If someone would post a good guide for !Mix and !Blue like last year that would be awesome because I referred to those a ton.

Is the android port worth getting? Same content/sound as the gba version?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If someone would post a good guide for !Mix and !Blue like last year that would be awesome because I referred to those a ton.

If the archives weren't busted I would've added my :words: post about !Mix to the OP. :( I may rewrite it closer to the Fiesta proper, though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dragonatrix posted:

Yeah, Chemist and Dancer.

750's White Mage, Black Mage, Blue Mage, Red Mage, Time Mage, Summoner, Geomancer, Bard, Chemist and Dancer.

No750's Monk, Thief, Knight, Mage Knight, Berserker, Ninja, Beastmaster, Ranger, Samurai and Dragoon.

Thanks for this. I'm tempted to go with a 750 run, since that seems to have more strategic possibilities (at least as far as my familiarity with these games goes) than the No750 classes. Might even do my run in French. :france:

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I'm definitely going to do this (again) this year. Hurray for bizarre team setups!

Hopefully this year I won't get Thief. I've gotten it every year.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Here's a small mix combination chart and a blue magic location guide that I still have bookmarked from last year's fiesta. Neither is really overly descriptive on what each combination/spell actually does, and the formatting on the blue magic list leaves a lot to be desired, but it's handy for a quick reference.

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/snes/ff5/bluestrat.shtml

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I might follow along this year unofficially (gently caress Twitter). I attempted this a few years back but quit when I got Chemist. Nothing can break my "What if I need this potion later? :ohdear:" mentality apparently.

I haven't played FFV since that time so it'll be nice to run through it again.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
After finishing 7 runs last year, I think I'll scale it back juuust a bit this year. Maybe only 5 runs...

Here's some stuff I still have bookmarked:

A big list of tips and pointers put together by goons: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MrmmtZPyCJnRL8ecIp5LOwhDnb_9FLeFQNjOzyVI-R8/edit

A 4 Job Fiesta guide: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14275030/ffv%20fjf%20handbook.txt

A spreadsheet of enemy stats, stealables, etc, generally organized by appearance and with translations for the different versions of the game: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As1XoaEFimODdEdpbXVYVFNuaUQ0TEZnRlliajZtMFE#gid=0

The game mechanics guide, for people who like to dissect how the game actually works: http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588331-final-fantasy-v/faqs/30040

Edit: Derp, I see the first and the fourth were already in the OP! Well, the second and third ones are new, I think.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 15, 2014

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
This year I'll see if I actually get two runs in! Started my second run last summer, got Monk/Blue Mage/Ranger aaaand then stopped. Super excited for it this year, though. Berserkers for everyone! :black101:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'll probably do two runs again this year for sure. Maybe I'll actually finish a third one.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kneel before them.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
I'm super excited to play again this year! Last year was my first run and I didn't finish, but time willing, I will this year!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Man, I saw this thread and got all excited, only to see that the preregistration doesn't even start for another 17 days, yeesh. Oh well, still excited. I've probably started FFV files at least 10 times now, and never once beaten it. A friend and I are gonna do a 2 player run for the Fiesta, though!

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Oh man, I am so excited for this! I did two runs last year, but may only have time for one this time. That said, GIVE ME ALL THE BERSERKERS :black101:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

univbee posted:

Thanks for this. I'm tempted to go with a 750 run, since that seems to have more strategic possibilities (at least as far as my familiarity with these games goes) than the No750 classes. Might even do my run in French. :france:

Team 750 is basically easy mode. Magic is ridiculously powerful in FFV.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Kyrosiris posted:

If Trasson can kill Shinryu with a Knight and three Berserkers, you can kill Shinryu with whatever you get. :colbert:

I am still somewhat sad that I didn't manage to kill Shinryu with Knight/Mystic Knight/Ranger/Dragoon. Especially since I stomped Omega so easily with that setup.

I don't know about anyone else, but I was feeling kind of burned out on FFV by the end of last year's fiesta and I only did two runs. I'm still psyched for this year, definitely ready to try whatever the nastiest run setup is, yet I have no plans to touch the game until the fiesta properly starts... does anyone else feel this way or am I just a wet blanket?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

I gotta buy a GBA Advance for this. I already have the game, and got up to Neo XDeath last time with Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Ninja/Lancer. At that point, I just couldn't deal enough damage and gave up :(

You couldn't do enough damage with mystic knight and ninja? You must have been doing something seriously wrong.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
We gonna do a group pledge on Ronka speed trap hits again this year? That was fun.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I had a hell of a lot of fun with this last year (3 wins! :woop: ) and I can't wait to do the same this time around. V is seriously my favorite Final Fantasy, and I can't wait to have some horrible jobs foisted upon me and die horribly persevere against all odds. And stuff.

neongrey posted:

We gonna do a group pledge on Ronka speed trap hits again this year? That was fun.

Haha, I remember this. It was a great idea.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I ended up crapping out last year at the third crystal when I ended up Thief/Monk/Knight... just lost interest from the boredom of auto-attacking my way through everything and thinking about my likely limited options come second and third world. :negative:

Gonna try again this year, gotta make up for my shame!

I had the greatest time with a knight last year. I had a hunter, so rapid fire blood sword knight (while blind) was the most badass thing. Thief and monk though are boring as poo poo.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

neongrey posted:

Man, I'd forgot about the speed trap until now. Turning it into a pledge again will lead to fun times.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

I tried this last year as a blind run, and got a decent team (Thief, Time mage, Ninja, Dragoon), but forgot to actually finish in time. I'll have to stay on top of it this time around.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

Captain Vittles posted:

I'm still psyched for this year, definitely ready to try whatever the nastiest run setup is, yet I have no plans to touch the game until the fiesta properly starts... does anyone else feel this way or am I just a wet blanket?

I don't think you are, last year I tried to squeeze in my first run along, right after my first actual play-through of the game(with OFsheeps's help). I don't get how people can do 5 runs when I got burned out just trying to do 2 in a row; I definitely feel you there.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Captain Vittles posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but I was feeling kind of burned out on FFV by the end of last year's fiesta and I only did two runs. I'm still psyched for this year, definitely ready to try whatever the nastiest run setup is, yet I have no plans to touch the game until the fiesta properly starts... does anyone else feel this way or am I just a wet blanket?

Nah. Some people can just throw themselves at the game more readily, and that's okay. :) I definitely got a little tired of the game (and wanted to keep my 100% Omega/Shinryu kill rates) last year after my fifth run.

That said I'm definitely doing a warm-up Fiesta to get back into things. Random.org is being super nice, I already have Knight and Mystic Knight. (that whooshing sound you hear is the game's difficulty going out the window~)

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Vil posted:

Kneel before them.

I hope my federal tax return gets here soon so I can fill that entire picture with berserkers.

Foppington
Feb 11, 2013

Neon Dreams
drat this is perfect timing, starts right after I'm done with my finals. Looking forward to a random run, but not sure what platform to play on. PSX, GBA or iOS. I'm assuming the iOS version has the most features, but the UI and sprites are just too "clean" for my liking. I've never finished the game before so could anyone give me a quick run down of the end game content differences of the versions?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
SNES: Original flavor, good music quality, no good translation, postgame content is Shinryuu and Omega only.

PSX: Not as familiar with this version, but the translation is even worse, and there's a lot of load times. Don't know about plus points.

GBA: Great translation, quality-of-life improvements (dash button), music quality is poor. Introduced the Sealed Temple for postgame content, which is rarely viable for the 4JF because it requires Thief and Beastmaster to advance. My preferred version.

iOS: Same translation and postgame content as GBA version. Graphics are inconsistently great (enemies) or terrible (player sprites), UI is medium clunky. Introduced an actually-useful auto-battle feature. Music is back up to SNES quality. EDIT: Diagonal movement, but it's easy to get stuck on doors and some people hate it.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 15, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Lord Foppington posted:

drat this is perfect timing, starts right after I'm done with my finals. Looking forward to a random run, but not sure what platform to play on. PSX, GBA or iOS. I'm assuming the iOS version has the most features, but the UI and sprites are just too "clean" for my liking. I've never finished the game before so could anyone give me a quick run down of the end game content differences of the versions?

Since they've fixed the bugs in the iOS/Android version, the iOS/Android and GBA versions are basically comparable. The former has the super-handy Auto-Battle, but also has movement issues reported by some people.

Other than that, the super-postgame stuff is probably unlikely to be doable in a 4JF setting, so you can basically disregard it.

ProfessorProf posted:

PSX: Not as familiar with this version, but the translation is even worse, and there's a lot of load times. Don't know about plus points.

There are no plusses aside from laughing at Y-BURNS and KARL BOSS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chessmaster 3000
Jul 23, 2008

Jesus this coat is huge. I am swimming in this garish piece of shit.
It's that time of year again? I had a blast last year, but only managed to get three different runs done. I don't think I ever managed a no750, but this year I'll have to do it for sure. This time I'll actually have to donate some money as well as trying to get my rear end handed to me with Berserker risk.

• Locked thread