Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Welcome to the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta 2014 thread! Much like in 2013, this will be the SA headquarters for the Four Job Fiesta, equal parts to keep us from taking over the FF Megathread as well as a single point of action for trading tricks and trips, cursing Gilgabot's lack of mercy, or whatever Fiesta-related discussion you may want.

Quick Links: Goon IRC, Official Website, Official Blog, Official Subreddit (yes, yes, I know, but it's official)

So Kyrosiris, what IS the Four Job Fiesta?

Every year, RevenantKioku and his trusty sidekick Gilgabot (or maybe it's the other way around?) organize the Fiesta as a charity drive for Child's Play and as a gathering for all FFV fans to celebrate the game. Mechanically, the Fiesta challenges you to play through Final Fantasy V using just one job from each Crystal. Hard Mode ups the ante, allowing Gilgabot to pull from past Crystals - you can, for example, get another White Mage from the Fire Crystal, or a Berserker from the Earth Crystal! In 2012, the Berserker Risk option was added as a way to pump up the difficulty even more - for every $10 raised prior to the Fiesta's start, every Berserker Risk participant was assigned a mandatory Berserker! Enough was raised to stick every participant at Risk with at least one Berserker, and SA member Trasson ended up with what was considered the nastiest team of the Fiesta - a Knight and THREE Berserkers! 2013 renamed Hard Mode to "Random Mode" which is honestly more accurate, and added the new Team 750/No-750 and Natural modes, adding extra fun and challenge.

While the challenge is not one regularly "recommended" for those new to Final Fantasy V, there have been several goons who challenged the Fiesta as their first playthrough of the game and triumphed! That said, the challenge will definitely require a bit more aptitude and awareness of the game's mechanics and neat combos than a game where you plow through everything with !X-Fight, !X-Magic, and other powerful combos (that is, unless Gilgabot is merciful and gives you those combos).

Well, I've never played FFV before. Should I try anyways?

Absolutely! Like I said, lots of goons have earned their first victory in FFV through the Fiesta - either combinations of the restricted job access giving them real focus to finish the game, or getting advice from the littany of Fiesta veterans that haunt this thread and IRC, or for whatever reason. Plus, FFV is fun, and you're playing for charity (via either your donations or runs that you finish that trigger other people's pledges)!

How's this all work, then? What're the rules?

An example team would be mine from 2012 - I got Thief, Summoner, Ninja, and Samurai. From the Wind Crystal on, I had to have a full party of Thieves. Once I finished the Water Crystal, I got to choose a configuration of at least 1 Thief and at least 1 Summoner, and then the other two could be either Thieves or Summoners, with no limit aside from having at least one of each. The Fire crystal was the same - I had to field at least one Ninja, Summoner, and Thief at all times, and my fourth character could be what was best suited of my three job options. After the Earth Crystal, that was it - everyone was locked in. You can switch jobs around as is necessary, but you've gotta adhere to those guidelines. If you want your Ninja to learn some Summon Magic, that Summoner has to switch to being a Ninja too.

So who the hell is Gilgabot?

Gilgabot is the Twitter bot that does the backend paperwork of the Fiesta. You tweet keywords to him (@FF5ForFutures) at certain thresholds in your playthrough and he will do whatever those correspond to. For example, you can tweet "@FF5ForFutures #Water" to note that you've reached the Water Crystal. Gilgabot will then reply (maybe - he hit the daily tweet limit several times last year) with your Job assignment for that crystal. You can see a full list of his commands here. (link this to letsplaying's commands page when the site's back up)

Twitter? Ewww, I don't do that social media bullshit.

Tough. Don't blame Gilgabot, blame yourself or God. If you wanna Fiesta (at least officially - no one's stopping you from doing your own using random.org or similar), you gotta tweet. Worst case scenario, you make a throw-away account you use just for the Fiesta and then ignore it.

Help! Gilgabot gave me a shittacular job combo and $BOSS is kicking my rear end!

Relax. Trasson got through the entire game and even the optional superboss Shinryu in 2012 with a Knight and three Berserkers. You can beat the focus of your ire too, with some strategy and tenacity. That said, we're not going to leave you in the lurch - lots of FFV pros participate in the Fiesta, and in 2012 we came up with a veritable compendium of knowledge, tactics, and advice (which got loving additions in 2013, too!). You can find it here, but be aware it contains story and boss spoilers, as well as a significant amount of mechanical information for the game. Other resources include Sulla's Solo Straight Class Challenges, the FFV Algorithm Guide (for SNES and GBA), The Spirit of FFV (has built-in "translation" of names/spells between versions) and IRC! We'll all be prattling away at #FF5Fiesta on SynIRC.

Science is scary and I can't use !Mix, the most powerful ability in FFV! Help me!!!!

Relax. Learn the true power of :science: here. Don't glitch Exdeath!

Alright, I'm in! What do I do?

Get on Twitter and send Gilgabot (@FF5ForFutures) a pre-registration tweet. This will look something like "@FF5ForFutures #regrand #BERSERKERRISK". Then, just wait for the Fiesta to start!

What's New for 2014?

FF1 Parties! Using #regff1, you draw only from the classic six FF1 jobs: Knight, Thief, Monk, Red Mage, Black Mage, and White Mage. This is also an enforced Natural run, meaning no cross-pollination of abilities! The Natural, Team750, and TeamNo750 options make their return from 2013.

Additionally, the completely unwieldy Disqus comments on the main site are gone - official communication from RK is gonna be through the official blog for the Fiesta found here or through :sigh: the official subreddit, found here.

Trivia and Infographic Nonsense!

Every year, RevenantKioku puts out an infographic for the year's Fiesta, covering a lot of trivia and data, distribution of classes, stuff like that (as well as how fair and balanced Gilgabot was, which he always is). They're pretty neat, and are timg'd below - click the year (or expand the image, but they're really big) for big.

2011 Infographic:

2012 Infographic:

2013 Infographic:

Unlike in 2013, I will not be maintaining a list of winners or donors in the OP, sheerly because of the absolutely ridiculous volume of winners and donors. You guys were entirely too skilled and generous for me to keep up with. I'm really sorry. :shobon: This does NOT mean you guys are off the hook from watering the Berserker Tree! WE BETTER HAVE A BETTER HARVEST THIS YEAR, OR ELSE.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Apparently this year's Fiesta is awesome enough to inspire fanart. :stare:

(by Bloodwulfe)

(also by Bloodwulfe)

(by Asiina)

(again, by Bloodwulfe)

(by Shoehead)

(yup, still Bloodwulfe)

(Bloodwulfe: still the best)

(THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE MEAN NOTHING TO A_Raving_Loon)

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 11, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Orgia Carnaval posted:

This'll be my first FJF, I am excited to get bad job combinations and attempt Shinryu only to lose with said bad job combos.

If Trasson can kill Shinryu with a Knight and three Berserkers, you can kill Shinryu with whatever you get. :colbert:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Oh also, if someone has the contents of my :words: post on Chemists/!Mix from last year or has the Berserker Tree picture, I'd be super appreciative. The Archives are down and I can't go fetch them myself. :(

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Made it to the last boss last year and then didn't bother finishing because I'm so drat lazy.

Maybe I'll actually finish a run this year.

I'll heckle you in guild chat if you don't.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

When's the run expected to officially start? I didn't see that mentioned in the OP.

Pre-registration starts June 1. We'll probably find out the actual start date then. There's usually the possibility of an early start, because RK does a run that's voted on by the fans that, when it ends, the Fiesta starts officially (but there's always a failsafe "If I'm not done by $DATE, it starts on $DATE).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Think he's not doing that this year, but instead is having two speedrunners compete to see who finishes sooner.

Oh that's interesting and neat.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

univbee posted:

Is there a breakdown anywhere of the nuances of each run type? Like, what's the No750 thing about?

Basically, No-750 removes the magic-using jobs as options, and 750 removes the physical jobs as options. I forget the exact splits though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If someone would post a good guide for !Mix and !Blue like last year that would be awesome because I referred to those a ton.

If the archives weren't busted I would've added my :words: post about !Mix to the OP. :( I may rewrite it closer to the Fiesta proper, though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Captain Vittles posted:

I don't know about anyone else, but I was feeling kind of burned out on FFV by the end of last year's fiesta and I only did two runs. I'm still psyched for this year, definitely ready to try whatever the nastiest run setup is, yet I have no plans to touch the game until the fiesta properly starts... does anyone else feel this way or am I just a wet blanket?

Nah. Some people can just throw themselves at the game more readily, and that's okay. :) I definitely got a little tired of the game (and wanted to keep my 100% Omega/Shinryu kill rates) last year after my fifth run.

That said I'm definitely doing a warm-up Fiesta to get back into things. Random.org is being super nice, I already have Knight and Mystic Knight. (that whooshing sound you hear is the game's difficulty going out the window~)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Lord Foppington posted:

drat this is perfect timing, starts right after I'm done with my finals. Looking forward to a random run, but not sure what platform to play on. PSX, GBA or iOS. I'm assuming the iOS version has the most features, but the UI and sprites are just too "clean" for my liking. I've never finished the game before so could anyone give me a quick run down of the end game content differences of the versions?

Since they've fixed the bugs in the iOS/Android version, the iOS/Android and GBA versions are basically comparable. The former has the super-handy Auto-Battle, but also has movement issues reported by some people.

Other than that, the super-postgame stuff is probably unlikely to be doable in a 4JF setting, so you can basically disregard it.

ProfessorProf posted:

PSX: Not as familiar with this version, but the translation is even worse, and there's a lot of load times. Don't know about plus points.

There are no plusses aside from laughing at Y-BURNS and KARL BOSS.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Sneaky Wombat posted:

In regards to the SNES version, I found that the unofficial fan translation isn't horrible. I mean, I didn't hate it. Is there anything game battle mechanics-wise in relation to the 4JF that should make me switch to the GBA release?

I think the GBA version might fix the damage calculation bug with daggers? Otherwise, not really - the GBA fixes the Kiss of Blessing bug, so it prevents you from doing stuff like skipping Neo-Exdeath, etc.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

If I was even remotely creative, I'd maybe think about doing something like that, but haha, me and creative ventures.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

BloodWulfe posted:

If you laugh at him he might attack with breath wing. :ohdear:

Holy poo poo, this is the best thing ever. :laffo:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

EllEssDee posted:

I want to start my fiesta already, I'm bored today and my semester just started so I have time. :(

Could always do a warm-up Fiesta and just use random.org or something to generate it. :) S'what I'm doing.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Looks like RK has updated the help page and we know what 2014's gimmick is: "Classic Jobs", which only uses the six FF1 jobs (Knight, Thief, Monk, Red Mage, White Mage, and Black Mage) and is an enforced Natural run. Neato. (It's also not eligible for BERSERKER RISK, which means no one is doing it for their first run obviously.)

Team 750/No750 are still around from last year, as well. I've updated the OP accordingly.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Vil posted:

Stick the berserker tree in there too. :colbert:

(Check my post history in this thread if you missed it.)

I knew I was forgetting something.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mega64 posted:

At least you're guaranteed one good job there. Of course, Thief/Monk/Red Mage/Knight would kind of suck, since at least the other two magic jobs could make better use of Dualcast.

Think I'll skip it just because I really don't want freaking Monk again.

Remember: Classic Jobs is enforced Natural jobs. No cross-pollinating.

Ideal is probably Knight/Thief/White Mage/Black Mage.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

EllEssDee posted:

Thief, party time. I don't actually mind this. I forget though, what mode is it that you only roll for the crystals available jobs versus all the ones you've come across thus far? Think I'm trying to do the latter instead.

Normal rolls from what is from that crystal only, Random rolls from anything you could have at the current point in time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Shwqa posted:

don't play the iOS version for the FJF

It is programmed different so many of the programming quriks have been fixed. This means abusing the that mute sword to beat the twin tower is out. Abusing the mirage vest is out as well. I think there were a few more too. Normal play throughs are perfectly fine, but some some FJF games get hosed. A teams with white Mage as the only caster class can't get holy on the iOS version.

I thought those were fixed? That's what a lot of people said on IRC last year towards the end of the Fiesta.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

Levels don't particularly matter in FFV, gear and job abilities are more important.

Iunno, I've had team comps that could butcher Omega and Shinryu in their low 20s that explicitly had to grind into the low 40s just to have enough HP to survive Almagest.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Yeah, that team is going to want for healing, so you will need to just race bosses. You'll end up against the "oh god I need more HP" wall due to Almagest at the end, too.

Also, make sure your Ninja learns !Summon and your Summoner gets !Throw. Ninja scrolls are based on your Magic stat, and !Summon will boost that sky-high.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

EllEssDee posted:

Yeah, right now it's a rape train

Could you not?

But yeah, that team composition is literally Team All The Damage, All The Time. You will basically use Golem as damage prevention and go 110% loving ham on bosses (and just run from trash mobs, mostly).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Dr Pepper posted:

Use the Wonder Wand to confuse Gaelicats (The flying cat enemies on North Mountain) until they cast Float on a character, slap a Reflect Ring on that character and then fight the boss, it'll do nothing but cast 100 gs. That is a reflectable spell.

Or the Dancing Dagger.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Longer version: Every job has a base stat line. Every character has a set of bonuses they apply to that base stat line.

code:
               Str  Agl  Vit  Mag
Butz            +4   +1   +3   +1
Lenna           +1   +2   +1   +4
Galuf           +3    0   +4    0
Faris           +3   +3   +2   +2
Cara            +1   +4    0   +3
So, for example, with Berserker, whose stat line is 45 Str, 15 Agl, 49 Vit, 1 Mag, then Faris as a Berserker would have 52 Str, 18 Agl, 51 Vit, 3 Mag, regardless of her level. Gear does add on to this as well, obviously.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Looking at this, Butz has a total of +9 stat points, Lenna +8, Galuf +7, Faris +10 and Krile +8. Does this make Faris the best character and Galuf the worst? Mechanically speaking, of cours,e because Faris and Galuf are both the best.

Mechanically, yeah. That's why Faris and Butz are the best physical characters and, ironically, Galuf (due to Krile inheriting his stuff) and Lenna are the best magical characters.

It's all small degrees, though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

EllEssDee posted:

Almagest you hurt so much, I honestly don't really know what to do to contend with that.

With your team composition you're honestly just going to have to grind into the low 40s to survive it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Why not just pair it with a Twin Lance? A Chicken Knife in the off-hand can't fire its !Flee because the Twin Lance's double attack "spell" fires first and you can only proc one weapon's spell per attack action.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Chemist's only real problem is that it isn't very useful in random trash fights. The thing is, unless you are for some reason getting the Brave Blade (don't get the Brave Blade), why would you fight more than what you need? And since you'll be farming turtle shells/dragon fangs/dark matter, you shouldn't need to kill much else.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

EllEssDee posted:

I like thieves too, for both FJFs I've done they were in there somehow and I definitely love the artful dodger sub ability for my characters. Being able to flee and steal also are great add ons as well. In that final battle Kriles ability to throw and do the elixir work helped a lot. I've never used monk ever, I hear it's pretty bad so that's kind of the only class I don't really want. I'm hoping for Black Mage this time around, ideally Black Mage/Mystic Knight/Chemist/Dancer. It's a very overpowered party but since I've seldom used them I want to see what they are capable of. Hopefully during this FJF I can kill shinryu and Omega too.

Chemist is Earth Crystal, same as Dancer, so none of them on the same team sadly.

IMHO the best team lineup is Blue Mage/Mystic Knight/Summoner/Chemist, but a solo Chemist with no cross-class abilities can kill both Shinryu and Omega, so anything with Chemist in it is academic. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

The absolute worst thing was that in my very first unofficial FJF run (Knight/Zerk/Ranger/Chemist, aka Team No Difficulty), I had assumed you could buy turtle shells later on in the game and didn't end up farming them in world 1 or at the far-less-convenient spot in world 2.

How wrong I was... :negative:

You can farm them in world 3! Just go near that land bridge that links Tycoon Castle (or the void formerly known as Tycoon Castle) and Crescent and Grass Turtles show up there.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Prop Wash posted:

So assuming I'm not doing one of the challenge variants, just a straight-up vanilla fiesta, how viable is the iOS version? It may lack some quality-of-life bugs but it's still possible to win, right?

Well, I'd say it depends on your team composition. I think that later patches changed the fact that Omega could evade Romeo's Ballad, Shinryu being immune to Berserk, and Omniscient replying to Libra with Reset. The biggest one that is still around is the Twin Lance/Chicken Knife interaction, and that's only relevant if you get Ninja.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

I'd much rather have the thief. Being completely immune to back attacks and able to run away whenever you feel like it is an immense boon no matter what your party is. Also you can steal poo poo.

Is it bad that I almost want to sit down and consider the damage over time differential of Thief/3ZRK versus Knight/3ZRK? :v:

(yes, I'm entirely too much of a numbers-:spergin: about FFV, why do you ask?)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

Are there any items/equipment that you can only get through stealing? Or is stealing only good for getting stuff really early.

Best axe in the game, the Giant's Axe, is only available during the Twin Tania fight when TT is charging for Giga Flare as a Common steal. The Genji armor is also only available from stealing from Gilgamesh. If you want more Aegis Shields than the two(?) that exist in chests, you need a Thief for the rest, same for more Golden Hairpins.

Shwqa posted:

Genii armor set is steal only. And there are a ton more odds and ends. Course with the thief's knife any team can steal at the end game.

And while this is true, I'd rather pull out my own teeth than try to get rare steals with the Thief's Knife. :suicide:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Probably White Mage, though I'd give serious consideration to Blue Mage.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Tempting Tango is A% hit (so guaranteed).

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

If you have Chemist, you really don't need to fight encounters that aren't bosses. :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Xenogenesis posted:

What's killing you? Granted I haven't played since last year's 4JF, but as long as you let the whirlwind form exhaust its MP, thus gimping the hand's ability to Fire2 you, you should be able to keep your HP topped off and not get one-shotted by anything.

Ehhh, each form has its own MP pool, so that doesn't work as much. But the whirlwind form is a safe time to heal up and get ready for more fighting.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

Give your Knight(s) Counter if you can, and give your Monk(s) Guard. Attack the Liquid Flame until it's in its hand form. Once it's in hand form, stop attacking and just use Guard. It only attacks with physical attacks in that form. Guard will negate the damage it deals, and your counterattacks from Counter won't trigger its transformation script.

Ahahaha, that's loving brilliant. I totally forgot that counter-attacks don't trigger React: scripts. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

Actually, doesn't Byblos only use Drain as a counter? He throws out a lot of attacks besides physicals, but I think just sitting there Countering and healing may be the easiest way for Monks to beat him.

code:
AI SCRIPT:
{Thread,Hammer,Fight}
{Fight,Charm,Wind Slash}
{Hammer,Fight,Thread}
{Sonic Wave,Wind Slash,Fight}
React:HP < 800  &  HP Damage{
     {Drain,Drain,Nothing}
     }
React:Physical{
     {Armor,Nothing,Nothing}
     }
React:Magic{
     {Toad,Nothing,Nothing}
     }
The issue is that you'd only have a 1/3 odds of a counter each turn, and the non-Fight actions are nasty, aside from Magic Hammer.

I could see pummeling him down to like 900 or so, doing !Focus for one last big punch, and then killing him with counters, yeah.

• Locked thread