Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Kheldragar posted:

At 1:38, I can see a black kid in the classroom. Now, I might be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure segregation was still widespread in the 50's, so this strikes me as really odd for the time period.

Segregation was on its way out by the 50s and there were a bunch of states that had already forbade segregation for schools, so it's not impossible or unbelievable for that film to have a black kid in the classroom. The south was, of course, a hold out and is what most people think of when segregation comes to mind, because it was supported by laws up until Brown vs Board and it took years for it to actually take hold down there.

Here is a handy map for the laws prior to Brown

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Educational_separation_in_the_US_prior_to_Brown_Map.svg

Sloober has a new favorite as of 14:27 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread