Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I'm going to be totally up front here. If you had come here and made a thread about MayOne with a focus on discussing the topic of money in politics and not on soliciting money, the response would've been a lot better. It'd probably have made for a good thread on the topic, and one that we haven't explicitly had in a while because a lot of posters here assume everyone already knows money in politics is out of hand.

Anyways, if I were coming up with "a crazy-rear end plan that'd actually help with convincing Americans to cough up $5M in 30 days in June", it'd probably revolve around making singers or movie stars eat copious amounts of eggs to be perfectly honest. Maybe Mark Wahlberg, he seems like a swell person.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Willa Rogers posted:

The last time I donated to the guy who said he'd get the dirty money out of politics he turned around and became the first major-party presidential candidate in modern political history to reject public financing.

Public financing is the real dirty money. Don't let the masses buy our elections through public finance. :homebrew:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-xFypjUqTM

I think he could pull off Chris Farley no problem. We need a straight-man to pair him up with though.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 15, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

karlor posted:

this is too much fun

Chicks dig balls, you should take note:

Gotta stay in shape if you're going to fight corporate lobbyists.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Imagine a world in which Mr. Boyko represented a real challenge to the Republican incumbent. Now imagine the look of the face on the incumbent's staff member when he googled the words "Brian Boyko" for the first time.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Deputy Chief Technical Officer.

"Guy who everyone says is good with computers."

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
:boyko:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
SomethingAwful - An Aggregator of Employment Disincentives

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mentos Dan posted:

Dude's linkedin is amazing:

"Delegated authority appropriately when necessary to qualified, passionate, and brilliant people."

Seriously, look at that loving sentence. You could write that about literally any job ever, it's a totally meaningless statement about how you asked people to do things. If you ever come back go visit the Resume thread. :rant:

And then E/N. Spend lots of time in E/N.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xandu posted:

$4,938,640
pledged of $5,000,000 goal
10 hours left

Just jumped another 40k so it'll probably make it but man if it failed now...

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlBot 2000 posted:

Everyone's bashing this idea but I don't see what they've got that's any better. Some have even said that "taking money out of politics" doesn't do enough, but that seems like precisely the solution.

Each of the two major parties raised and spent over a billion dollars in 2012. That's not direct donations to the candidates, that's just money to the party and it's committees for them to use to support candidates of their choice. Goldman Sachs put 2.5 million into the Republican Party in 2012. "Friends of John Boehner" is the top contributor to the Republican Party for 2014 at $5.5 million already. Maybe this money can buy a few politicians who will agree to fight and then when they get to Congress they can wring their hands and apologize profusely about how they did their best but the votes weren't there because the reality is that these amounts aren't a one-time crowdfunding goal met mere hours before the deadline like MayOne.us but routine yearly spending on politics.

I'd love it if I'm totally wrong on this but the only way we're going to get money out of politics is if people were marching en masse in the streets to demand it, and honestly that's not going to happen. People aren't going to aggregate for that poo poo when they're too busy being split up about which political team they are on or who is destroying the country with gayness or abortion or immigrants.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 5, 2014

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

My prof in election law was Stanley Brand, and he made a very persuasive argument regarding the efficacy of the previous limit system. My own approach to election speech regulation would essentially revolve entirely around extensive, mandatory disclosure and transparency rules, which the decision explicitly said were legally viable. In practice, no one is currently willing to enact such a regime, but it's less likely to be subject to difficulty/variability in enforcement, and less problematic constitutionally, than straight speech limit systems.

Transparency doesn't necessarily improve a given system or insulate it from corruption or conflicts of interest, particularly if the people viewing the bias underestimate the impact and especially in our political system of First Past The Post. What am I going to do if Hillary in 2016 has a lot of donors I dislike? Vote for the Republican? Chances are his donors offend me more. Vote third party? I'm hurting my own interests in doing so.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

dinoputz posted:

My big hope is that MayOne.us coverage becomes a thing at some point during the 2016 election. If septuagenarian Fox News/CNN viewers in nursing homes haven't heard of "late night pony parties" already, boy are in they in for a treat. Imagine a Brian Boyko with no media training being hauled before Megyn Kelly, being asked the hard hitting questions...

edit: bonus if it's Shep Smith

"I guess he could be on something.... oh dear... get off it. Get off it. Get off it get off it GET OFF IT! GET OFF IT!" :saddowns:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
As this thread is about money in politics, California did a thing:

quote:

Last week, California became the second state to back a constitutional convention to limit money in politics, reports SFGate. Its state Senate approved the measure 23-11 on a party-line vote, and the Assembly had passed it in January. The proposed convention would "limit corporate personhood for purposes of campaign finance and political speech," and "would further declare that money does not constitute speech and may be legislatively limited."

[...]

Meanwhile, conservative activists have long been pursuing a constitutional convention of their own — one to propose a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution. Twenty-two state legislatures are actively signed on, and 12 others signed on but later rescinded. Interestingly, those numbers combined are 34 — the magic number necessary to trigger a convention. And there's some controversy over whether states can rescind their applications in the first place, according to MLive's Jonathan Oosting. Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-CA) has asked Congress to evaluate whether a convention has in fact been triggered.

Though the new California resolution calls just for a "limited" constitutional convention, it's not clear that, if one does come about, it would be restricted to any one particular topic. Law professor Michael Stokes Paulsen argues that a convention would have the power to propose whatever amendments it wants, so some activists have feared that a "runaway convention" could approve extreme proposals. But any proposed amendment would still need to be approved by 38 states before going into effect.

The subject of Constitutional Conventions has been gaining a lot of steam lately, it'd be pretty interesting to see one happen since we don't have much format or structure to base them on.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bel Shazar posted:

In this political climate the convention would be more likely to come back with some type of regional partition plan and the whole drat country would fall apart.

If it means getting rid of Florida...

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mister Fister posted:

So in other words, you want an echo chamber here.

No, he's saying you making a post bemoaning tone in this thread as the reason for left-wing loses is a lovely troll by being too up-front. He's giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you are a troll instead of someone who actually believes that somehow this thread is indicative of our political system. Because the latter is a naive, idiotic horseshit excuse which reflects poorly on people who suggest it seriously.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mister Fister posted:

I didn't say this thread solely was what made me depressed, it's just a general observation about liberals and it's yet another example.

By all means, elaborate on your insights. I'll even assume your premise for the sake of argument, so give us some conditions. Liberals can't do poo poo and Tea Partiers can because...

• Locked thread