Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Also he voted for Bush.

And then left the country after Bush won again. And came back later because it was too difficult to live thousands of miles from the nearest triple cheeseburger and he was too socially inept to make any new friends. And then when he came back he was too busy spending all his time on some vampire videogame to see any of his friends. And now he's a brony blogger wannabe-politician?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
This is a preview of what politics will look like in twenty years when today's Reddit users have finally accumulated enough body fat to be mistaken for adults. And by god, it's going to more than make up for a couple hundred years of politics being lovely.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Then on the last possible day for the 2012 elections, the Greens challenged every other third party's presidential candidates and got them pulled, even though most of them ended up getting decent vote totals even with just write-in access. It gave the Greens no real advantage because they weren't going to win any electoral votes anyways and pissed off every other third party, but they did it anyways. I have a feeling if we do change, it'll take a long time for all the old grudges to die down.

I don't think many functional political parties follow the "we're not going to win anyway so let's not bother with vote-getting" school of thought. The problem is that FPTP encourages parties to fight off and drive out all parties ideologically similar to them, in order to avoid the risks of vote-splitting and spoiler effects, and because even parties that don't have a shot at winning can still accrue significant benefits if they manage to get enough votes. The big two parties don't usually bother bullying third parties into nonexistence since their combined voter counts are usually insignificant, but those third parties themselves have to fight over every last vote. A party with 0.65% of the vote doesn't have the luxury to ignore parties with 0.15% of the vote.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Remember Boyko's very visible and cringeworthy internet hobbies, the concept that "you're judged by the company you keep" seems alien to them :v:

Different people have different perspectives - he seems to have been brought on the bilk money out of the Reddit-and-4chan crowd, where his message of "you don't have to stop being a disgusting nerd who openly fetishizes children's shows just because you're an adult with a real job and political aspirations" probably rings true with more than a few people. Watch the bottom of the page for the MayOne SA banner ad and its slogan "The Internet has a SuperPAC" - they're clearly hoping Boyko's appeal to the freaky internet pervert demographics will make up for the incredibly miniscule risk that the media will bother to pay any real scrutiny into an organization like theirs.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

If they were about having decent ideas in the first place, they probably wouldn't be doing this whole project or even considering him to employ.

I dunno, it's worked out pretty well for them. They got their $5 million they can do whatever they please with, and the media didn't bother looking into Boyko at all, so as far as I can tell everything turned out just great for them.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

KomradeX posted:

So whats up with Mark McKinnon, I haven't heard of him?

Campaign advisor for Bush 2 and McCain, has since run or founded mega-centrist and scammy organizations like No Labels and Americans Elect, and voted Libertarian in 2012.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mister Fister posted:

Also, i'd like to see how often someone with such a big money disadvantage pulls an upset like this. I can understand if someone with a 4 million dollar war chest beats someone with a 5 million dollar one, but again, it was a 26 to 1 advantage.

Happens more often than one might expect, usually when some profoundly unpopular businessman or politician with more money than charisma tries to brute-force an election by pouring in money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

A rich person has just as many votes as you do.

Sure, but they have far greater ability to influence how others vote, and also to influence how the candidates behave once elected.

• Locked thread