Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

50% right is pretty good for a prospective politician, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

zoux posted:

Deputy Chief Technical Officer.
= Assistant

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SedanChair posted:

What?? Now I'm like a dog who gets whacked 15 minutes after he fucks up. WHAT DID I DO
Don't bark at the funny man!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Samurai Quack posted:

I was just mentioning that. So many people saw that movie and think it's such a cultured reference to say they are like the 300, apparently never picking up on the fact that they lose
Give it another 150 years and their descendents will be rolling over their enemies like Alexander. :smuggo:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

quantity of speech alone isn't enough to be persuasive.
Are you sure? Hasn't it been shown that simply being more familiar with a factoid increases the chance of you believing it to be true, and thus repetition of a factoid will make it a fact in many people's eyes?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

I just took a semester in graduate level persuasion theory, so let me promise you, absolutely not. Repetition can have a strengthening effect on the persuasive effect of some messages some of the time, but it is also able to have the reverse effect, even when the message is initially agreeable.
Can you explain the mechanics behind the latter? It's easy to understand why the former would work, not so much the latter.

Discendo Vox posted:

Similarly, the repetition of a fact can trigger counterarguing all on its own.
Do the counter-arguments get airtime though?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

I don't know who's more cynical, the people who post in this thread or the overwhelming majority of goons in the Community thread who bet their lives that a meteor was more likely to hit the earth in the next hour than the show coming back (it came back :smug:), but in any case, i hope SOMETHING positive comes out of this superpac. What that something is, I dunno, but I don't think it's healthy to be so negative.
Each hour, ~750 meteors enter the Earth's atmosphere, so maybe they were right.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Who What Now posted:

Well that's because you're an idiot. HTH
No, you're just a liberal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Anticheese posted:

I live in the same general area as Mount Maunganui. That second photo seriously distorts the scale of the mountain (the bloody thing is only a couple hundred metres above sea level)
I have a hard time imagining how the second photo could be seriously distorting the "mountain" to look bigger than it is, it hardly looks like anything as is. Maybe if you assumed what you were seeing was the last leg up to the summit, with a lot of ground already covered. And I'm saying this as someone from a country where the highest peak is 200 feet below that one.

• Locked thread