Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
So because of :10bux: and all this is actually gonna be a net loss for Lessig's PAC, right?

Questions: Why the gently caress should democrats give money to a loving guy who clerked for Scalia and Posner, the two most prominent rightwing judges in the country?

Are you in an S.J.D. program? You look like all the wankers I've met doing that sorta thing.

How is this different from Americans Elect in terms of circlejerky moneysinks?

oh and one last one, and this is most important for me personally: Is Harvard Law really this loving bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Goldmine

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

move this thread to lf

reopening lf is the $44 million stretch goal

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

time for some credit card fraud

oh that reminds me, mr. fluttershy, please tell lessig that if he wants to raise money it would be a lot easier and a lot less shameful to just run a ponzi scheme

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

well now we know what their attack ads are gonna look like

edit: is thread helldumpy if brony boytano helldumped himself?

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 15, 2014

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
http://www.amazon.com/Importing-Democracy-Brian-Boyko-ebook/dp/B00G8TC4HY/ref=la_B00G94EFLQ_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400178640&sr=1-1
he self published a book. nothing interesting, but apparently this poo poo is new zealand's fault.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
http://www.jeffkurzon.com/boyko4tx

holy wow. being involved in this and a superpac at the same time may be an FEC violation lemme read more into this

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

quote:

I’ll give you an example: At NetQoS circa 2006, we hired a full-time blogger before hiring a professional blogger was cool. And Brian Boyko will be the first to say he was, and is, an oddball. His first introduction to the entire company came when he sent out a blast e-mail asking if anyone had a red cape and goggles. This was for a post commenting on an xkcd cartoon about bloggers wearing, yes, red capes and goggles, which Brian somehow found among our employee population and photographed himself wearing.

http://theamericanceo.com/2013/03/19/support-oddballs-in-your-company-culture/

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

rscott posted:

Well I gotta give him credit, he turned being an autistic sperg brony posting on the internet all day into a job somehow.

by ripping off people even dumber than him. you can turn it into a job too, by getting a cisco certification

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=248gcCvAIMU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

rscott posted:

So did the $20 to buy an account and get platinum come from some poor sap's donation or does that come out of the expense fund that you're getting some rich idiot to bankroll?

I think he just spent some of the money Texas Dumbocrats gave him.

http://204.65.203.5/public/589946.pdf

Received from Texas Dems: $700
Returned after Campaign Folded: $200

And people wonder why the Democrats are failing miserably in Texas

Edit; Wait nope read that wrong the 200 was access to voter rolls, that 700 they gave him just disappeared my bad

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
hey can you forward my portfolio to lessig i have an idea for a mayone.us bumper sticker

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
is it kosher to post OP's Alcoholics Anonymous style confession that he's addicted to a vampire sex RP game?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

A Rambling Vagrant posted:

At this point it would be unethical not to.

quote:

My name is Brian Boyko. I’ve had some time to think.

I have an addictive personality. And I became addicted to Immortal Vigilance.

For the past week, I have been wondering about how I would be able to keep up with the demands of IV when starting up my new job. I had been thinking about this when the big clusterfuck scene happened (we’ll not talk about that), except that I think the straw that broke the camel’s back was not anything IC or OOC but when DavidS said that he needed to stop because he had work in the morning, and the scene was going on forever....

And I realized not that the game wasn’t fun, but I was seriously worried about how my playing of IV would impact my real life. And I didn’t like what I was seeing.

I’m an addict. Right now, I feel angry, scared, have headaches and nausea - over the idea that I won’t get to play now that I’ve quit. I am near tears; and this is not a rational response, and it is not indicative of healthy behavior.

The very fact that I’m seriously considering going back and taking my characters off the deletion list is... actually the most powerful evidence to show why I shouldn’t.

I joined Immortal Vigilance when I hit a nadir in my life. I had tried to make a life for myself in New Zealand, only to find that I missed my friends terribly and was unhappy there. So, I decided to come back to Austin to be with my friends. But I came back without a job. I thought with my track record, I could get one quickly.

I was mistaken.

So, not only did I have an abundance of free time, but the fact was that without steady income, I couldn’t go out to see my friends. I couldn’t meet them at restaurants or movies, and even the gas money was too expensive to drive out and see them. (My car was used pretty much for trips to the supermarket and to job interviews, pretty much exclusively.) I remember actually backing out of going to see Harry Potter with my friends on Thanksgiving, claiming I was tired, but in actuality, I didn’t have any money for the ticket... and was too embarrassed to ask them to spot me.

I spent Christmas on Immortal Vigilance. I could very well have asked around to see if any of my friends would invite me over to have dinner with them... but I was both embarrassed to ask, and... I wanted to play the game. I had - no, I have a problem.

IV was very addictive for a number of reasons. It was free, it allowed me to burn up the massive surplus of free time I had, and it provided me with stimulating characters and conversations. And it was fantasy fulfillment - a coping mechanism for not having to think about the real world by involving myself in dreams. All of my characters represent some unrealised dream that I’ve had - Sue represented my dream of being a great thinker, Calvin, my dream of becoming a great entertainer, Mike, a great artist, and Starbutt, a great scientist. I lived, vicariously, through them, when living my real life was very hard.

I got too attached to this fake fantasy and became detached from the real world. Which was kind of okay, I think, because the real world for me for the past five months, kind of sucked. I really wasn’t missing anything. Not really. And so, I would often play 12-14 hours in a single day. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

But now, I have a job. And I have to consider the trade-offs between staying up late nights and arriving to work without falling asleep - and even if I say I won’t - I know that there will be a night where I stay up and play instead of heading to sleep to get up next morning. One hour turns into two, turns into three, turns into an all-nighter.

And I can see my friends. And now that I’m forced to start making decisions between hanging around with my real life friends at the improv theatre in real life, or making that scene where Calvin will take on the bad guys, or Sue will make a rousing speech... well...

It is very tempting - incredibly tempting, even now, as I write this - to blow off evenings out with my friends in exchange for another couple of hours playing a fictional character who hangs out with his fictional friends. (Not that you guys aren’t real, but you get what I mean.)

And so, if I gave into those urges, it would seriously affect the quality of my real life; it would interfere to such a degree that I would be worse off for it.

And the worst part is - I knew this. The moment I got a job should have filled me with joy. Instead, I thought: gently caress, how am I going to find time to narrate Long Beach now? And so I knew - not just in the back of my mind, but in the front of my mind as well - that I had to quit. I had to stop, somehow. (I don’t think I would have been successful “cutting down” because addicts just can’t -do- that.)

But I didn’t. Because I couldn’t. I kept playing. It still felt so warm and inviting to slip on Calvin’s skin, to be loved by ladies, envied by peers, clever and handsome. It felt great to have a life of fantasy and adventure.

And so, I kept playing.

The fact that my experiences were so drat good was one of the reasons that I kept playing... and in truth, your honest friendship and camraderie helped solidify my addiction. This is -not- your fault - you really are a great bunch of guys to play with. I mean that. But it did make it that much harder to tear myself away. I wasn’t just abandoning Calvin, I was also abandoning Tess’s schemes, I was abandoning Clive’s friendship, I was abandoning the responsibilities given to me by Cornwall and Caleb... as well as Estaban, and Leah, and Jack, and Helen, and the Baron and... I feel honest to god -guilt- over this. I feel like I murdered a friend; not just my friend, but many people’s friends.

The post in the room about deciding to quit the game at that moment wasn’t just because of the scene being a clusterfuck. Oh, sure, if the clusterfuck hadn’t have happened, I might not have done it -- but not for that reason.

What the clusterfuck did was give me an opportunity to re-evaluate what I was doing and why I was doing it. To take a step back and say: Wait, this is absurd. This was an oppertunity - an out, if you will - just enough slack to break the stranglehold my addiction had on me. And if I didn’t take it right then and there - take the drastic step to cut myself off... I don’t know if I ever would.

So I did. I ragequit, and now I feel horrible and lovely and massively going through withdrawal symptoms. I’m writing this to get my thoughts down on paper, to work through them.

I can’t play the game with you guys anymore. If I do, I don’t think I’ll be able to stop until I’ve really, really, let my addiction for this game mess up my real life.

I’m more than willing, of course, to be your friend - and you can reach me at brianboyko on AIM or Skype - and I hope you do. David S is actually local to me, I hope maybe he’ll take me up on my offer to go out and have a beer sometime.

But honestly, I have a serious problem, one that I can’t solve by continuing to bury myself in this fantasy world. If I could play in moderation, I most certainly would. I don’t think I can, really. And I’m very sorry about that. I’m sorry that my departure is sudden, but I do not think I could do it otherwise. And I’m very glad for the time I have spent with you all.

-- Brian Boyko

idk if its "internet detective" when you attach your name to EVERYTHING YOU DO ONLINE. well, i HOPE this is everything cos the poo poo you don't sign off with your christian and legal name has to be pretty horrifying

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

btw his campaign spent $1700 dollars on accomplishing nothing according to election filings.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

BUSH 2112 posted:

Yes, God forbid that everyone have an equal amount of speech. gently caress. Just loving goddamn. That's "wholly foreign to the first amendment." Burn this loving country down.

woah man don't give in to impotent rage give to mayone.us and we can rainbow dash to a better democracy

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

I feel a little weird/bored looking at is reddit but I at least found this:

someone else posted:

I've always wondered what it's like for guys with hot sisters/moms/cousins.

lessig's dirty slut posted:

Well, you just don't act on it. Especially if your sister's married to the King. That's just asking for freakin' trouble.

also self identifies as aspergers :O

how the gently caress do people stand reddit?

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 15, 2014

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
ehhh gently caress it fun's over plz close n goldmine or gas

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

karlor posted:

this is too much fun

ok nevermind. the reddit trawling just seemed like it was peering on the precipice of Goons Going Too Far and running it into the ground

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Pokemaster #421 posted:

You know every once in a great while when you're having an incredibly lovely day something comes along and makes everything okay. This is not one of those things.

there there it will be ok.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

content: here's a plea for John Cleese to appear in a documentary about proportional representation in new zealand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sen0ygl-jwk

he uses all the best tactics of booking celebrity appearances, including criticizing their second most famous movie.

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 16, 2014

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

emfive posted:

He sure hurls himself out there doesn't he.

what do you mean

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

ymgve posted:

Not that it makes it much better, but that's a Game of Thrones reference. I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually have a sister that's married to a king.

ahhh okay

here, i joined mayone.us and made a campaign logo

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBxm-LcQyt0

A video asking John McCain to explain the statements of staffer Michael Goldfarb, denegrating D&D players.

so THAT'S why mccain lost

hahahahahahaha

quote:

did you know i met my first african american friend playing D&D? did you know that i met my first gay friend playing D&D? did you know that i met a wonderful woman playing D&D? . . . Senator... did you know any of this, when you let Michael Goldfarb post those comments on your official campaign blog?

this loving owns

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
fan speculation: that "wonderful woman" he met playing D&D was the one who took his virginity at age 29

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Man this dude is lucky lf got murdered.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
we're all gonna feel pretty dumb when he becomes the karl rove of campaign finance reform/pony slashfic

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

no loving way

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

no creepy mlp stuff

uh

are we sure this is the right guy?

self portraits check out

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

livin the dream

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Schnedwob posted:

Bronies United for Tolerance in Texas

is... is brian boyko our generation's harvey milk?

edit: vvvv OP hosed off a long time ago, i still love this thread

Homura and Sickle fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 16, 2014

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
(from his campaign's facebook)

texasdemocrats.jpg

Abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Good Citizen posted:

(the public humiliation was being caught trying to have sex with a minor on 'to catch a predator')

Well this gave my the idea to google "Brian Boyko Pedophilia"

Brian Boyko posted:

My take is up on my blog. There may not be criminal libel, but it was an action designed to harrass, possibly even put someone into physical harm by defaming a reputation. The guy could still be charged with something criminal.

My whole idea on this is that people are going to set up a database anyway – it might as well be one that is official and won’t be staffed by amateurs.

And I’m sure that the majority of pedophiles (i.e., those who are merely attracted to children and don’t *act* on those urges) don’t want to hurt children and are just attracted to them — but the entire point is that criminal pedophiles have hurt children. The creeps who just please themselves to the Olsen Twins movies aren’t hurting anyone or committing a crime. If those guys need help they’ll ask for it.

Same with beastiality – you can be attracted all you want to animals, but the minute you actually have intercourse with one, you’ve crossed the line.

oh myyyyyyyy:reddit:

http://blog.greens.org.nz/2005/05/21/of-smears-and-paedophiles/

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Remember the John Cleese video? Seems like direct pleas to random rear end celebrities is sorta his thing. This was posted on George Takei's wall

Who Else posted:

Howdy, Mr. Takei. My name is Brian Boyko. I'm a geek running for State Representative in Texas. Literally. "Geek for Texas House District 136" is on my masthead. https://www.boykotx.org

Anyway, my big issue is Campaign Finance Reform, but I also support GLBT rights. My sister is gay, and anyone who treats her as less of a human being because of it will face all the wrath an older brother can muster.

I noticed that you're going to be coming to Austin, Texas in a few days for some book signings and photo ops. I'm currently e-mailing your publicist but I thought I'd try you directly through Facebook. I was wondering if I could use my photo-op with you in my campaign materials (I would *never* use anyone's image with my campaign without their permission.) Heck, it'd be really awesome if I could count you in as my first "official" endorsement, but you don't know me that well yet, and it might be too much to ask.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing you in Austin on Sept. 2nd.

-- Brian

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
http://prezi.com/edi9plll1j8g/prezi-me-of-brian-boyko/

Boytoy applied for a job at Prezi. USING PREZI. the results are exactly what we've come to know and love

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
he's tamped down on privacy on his facebook since i looked at it yesterday, so i guess he's learning?

before it was all posts viewable globally, naturally.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

XyloJW posted:

I was hoping more for hilarious photoshops and gifs than digging through his online history for the last 10 years.

lookin for inspiration, good sir

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Meatwave posted:

Oh. THAT's why he doesn't play professional sports.

Ok now I have an idea for when I get back home

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Is it possible to make his head even bigger?

• Locked thread