Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardennes
May 12, 2002

cucka posted:

Personally, I agree with point 4 to some extent. I think right now we are on the cusp of another historic turn involving Russia. This will be a prime opportunity to evaluate how we in the West address an aggressive Russia. Do we tilt towards our on paper dichtoms about freedom of representation, or do we wilt and resort to a 2 party version of dictatorship, where there are merely two differing versions of hell and we are made to choose between the two?

I feel this is a generational question, and the first who will be made to answer it are the citizens of Ukraine. Will they be able to resist Russia, or are we to see little green men sprouting in other countries? I feel that is the fundamental question that is not being asked. If Putin succeeds, what is his definition of success? Sevestapol? Donetsk? Kyiv? There is one man who knows, and he isn't interested in talk, nor has he ever been. George W. Bush claimed to have saw into his soul and saw someone he could he reason with. George W. Bush is a dry drunk moron and this only proves that sentiment true. Anyone who could talk to Putin and trust a word he says at face value is a fool.

Of course one issue is in the US, very few people have any idea what is going on in Russia or even less know how it came about. We simply don't have the intellectual tools left to deal with Putin beyond a kneejerk.

Ultimately, nothing will be solved in the US until the pieces of what the hell is going are actually put together, and that is pretty much impossible because of our educational system (even at the highest levels) and our media. If you have no competent scholars of Russian history and contemporary politics, isn't a surprise no one knows poo poo about Russia or how to deal with it and competent study of our own economic and political structure has the same issue.

Nothing will change because the asymmetry of information isn't likely to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Vulich the Subtle posted:

has anyone said buttcoin yet

Yeah, but it is up to you to read that article then report back.

• Locked thread